House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

'it's Not A Prison': Parents' Fury As 600 Children Receive Detention In Four Days After Rules Crackdown

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1374487/Its-prison-Parents-fury-600-children-receive-detention-days-rules-crackdown.html

Parents have reacted with fury after a school imposed 600 detentions in just four days for offences as minor as wearing odd socks.

City of Ely Community College in Cambridgeshire launched a 'zero tolerance' policy on Monday after sending a list of 14 draconian rules to parents.

Banned behaviour includes chewing gum, wearing odd socks, eating between lessons, running, wearing excessive make-up or using 'visible' earphones or mobile phones.

Pupils caught breaking the new rules are forced to sit silently in rows in the school hall for five hours while reading a booklet explaining 'good behaviour'.

Sounds like the Teachers want to get paid for doing nothing. I mean how long can this booklet be to keep pupils occupied for 5 hours?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1374487/Its-prison-Parents-fury-600-children-receive-detention-days-rules-crackdown.html

Sounds like the Teachers want to get paid for doing nothing. I mean how long can this booklet be to keep pupils occupied for 5 hours?

I am pretty shocked by the comments of the Wail readers. They are all in favour and missing the point that the punishment for petty offences means losing 5 hours education to sit in a hall silently. I would be looking for another school just as the lady in the article is. I wonder if they are short of teachers at the moment and cramming 600 kids into a hall solves the staffing issue or maybe the teachers just find a reason to cut their classes in half and make their days easier.

Stupid school but I am more shocked by the stupid wail readers tbh.

I am pretty shocked by the comments of the Wail readers. They are all in favour and missing the point that the punishment for petty offences means losing 5 hours education to sit in a hall silently. I would be looking for another school just as the lady in the article is. I wonder if they are short of teachers at the moment and cramming 600 kids into a hall solves the staffing issue or maybe the teachers just find a reason to cut their classes in half and make their days easier.

Perhaps they decided that a culture of discipline was so lacking that lessons were being effectively disrupted for 5 hours everyday and a bit of shock and awe might be in order to set the school back on the right path?

The sorts of things the kids were being pulled up on were the sorts of things I would have received detention for when I was in school. You didn't wear odd socks, you weren't late for class, wear headphones or use a mobile phone, and you certainly didn't smoke (where you might bget caught.) No sympathy for the parents or kids here at all.

I was at the 'posh school' in Ely (kings) for a couple of years in the mid 90s, Ely city college was a sh1thole back then and by the sounds of it still is now. I remember one assembly it was suggested the girls at my school get rape alarms after a few of them nearly got into some bother with gangs of ely city boys.

Lot of didicois around that area. And rednecky fenland types.

Turning it into a prison wouldnt be a bad idea.

Wasnt mentioned in the media obviously, but this was a gypsy in a nearby school. Not the first time it happened.

http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/pupil_arrested_in_school_gun_scare_1_797858?ot=archant.PrintFriendlyPageLayout.ot

Wasnt an air rifle the other time either.

Perhaps they decided that a culture of discipline was so lacking that lessons were being effectively disrupted for 5 hours everyday and a bit of shock and awe might be in order to set the school back on the right path?

The sorts of things the kids were being pulled up on were the sorts of things I would have received detention for when I was in school. You didn't wear odd socks, you weren't late for class, wear headphones or use a mobile phone, and you certainly didn't smoke (where you might bget caught.) No sympathy for the parents or kids here at all.

+1

I would rather they went to a school where they might have to sit in detention for a few hours for misbehaving than where all the kids just run riot.

If it's detention then they won't be missing any lessons at all. Or have things got so bad that "detention" now has to happen in class time? Although when it comes to chewing gum I'd far rather that they were made to spend 5 hours cleaning it up with their bare hands.

To point out to them that they have a breathtaking lack of empathy for others.

Nope.

They've been kidnapped and forced to do something they don't want to. They have commited no crime, done no wrong for this - only the error of having a mind young enough that powerful vested interests want it moulded to their way of thinking.

School realyl works at this too, see how you defend such abuse!

Nope.

They've been kidnapped and forced to do something they don't want to. They have commited no crime, done no wrong for this - only the error of having a mind young enough that powerful vested interests want it moulded to their way of thinking.

The problem is kids napping.

Nope.

So what is the alternative ? Let kids do what they want to and let them head off wherever they feel like it ? There has to be some middle ground.

I do agree that there are certain things taught/not taught in schools for a reason. Basic finances and economics being one that is missed out on. No guesses as to why. Equality and the latest let's all love everyone and save the planet being one that is wholeheartedly supported.

So what is the alternative ? Let kids do what they want to and let them head off wherever they feel like it ? There has to be some middle ground.

I do agree that there are certain things taught/not taught in schools for a reason. Basic finances and economics being one that is missed out on. No guesses as to why. Equality and the latest let's all love everyone and save the planet being one that is wholeheartedly supported.

I agree with Injin on this. If you make education non-compulsory then all schools become good schools by default.

What came first: progress or schools? Case closed.

On Monday, the first day of the policy, 236 children – a fifth of pupils at City of Ely Community College in Cambridgeshire – were punished. On Tuesday the figure was 186, on Wednesday it was 180 and yesterday it was 115.

Looks like they are learning, i'd ban phones from the school as a first step.

Kids are generally not ready for finance and economics because they lack the basics in maths to comprehend these subjects. In teaching you need discipline in the classroom before you can actually show them anything. I have every sympathy with this school. The school is doing them no favours letting them run riot.

Kids are generally not ready for finance and economics because they lack the basics in maths to comprehend these subjects. In teaching you need discipline in the classroom before you can actually show them anything. I have every sympathy with this school. The school is doing them no favours letting them run riot.

Make it voluntary, everyone not interested will bugger off and you won't be able to hear a pin drop in classrooms.

And really - is the lesson that might makes right the one you want to teach these kids?

Make it voluntary, everyone not interested will bugger off and you won't be able to hear a pin drop in classrooms.

And really - is the lesson that might makes right the one you want to teach these kids?

The kids, being kids don't have the ability to assess the impact of their decisions to not participate in classes. Free will for all is all well and good, but I'm sure kids as they get older would look back in disbelief at teachers who adopted this kind of approach.

I agree with Injin on this. If you make education non-compulsory then all schools become good schools by default.

What came first: progress or schools? Case closed.

Depends what you class as a 'school'. Anyone being sat down and taught something could be classed as a 'school'. I think any progress man has ever made is mainly reliant on this sort of thing happening. Every species 'schools' its offspring.

Then I suppose you could argue the point that why do we need strangers to 'teach' our children instead of parents. Then again how many parents would be worse at this than a teacher ?

Not a simple subject with an easy answer IMO.

Sounds allright in theory. However what would happen in reality ?

So what is the alternative ? Let kids do what they want to and let them head off wherever they feel like it ?

Some sort of middle ground perhaps? Warn them first then detention if they keep offending.

Some sort of middle ground perhaps? Warn them first then detention if they keep offending.

Having seen the behaviour of some wee rats these days - I can understand why some teachers may just have had enough.

Then again as you say some middle ground would seem sensible. Must be pish being a teacher these days. Just open to abuse and not much you can do about it.

Ah back in the day !!

One of our teachers used to occasionally chuck things ate people. Stools, even a hammer once IIRC. He was a techie teacher too. They all seemed to be a little mental. Interestingly enough he was well liked and respected by pretty much all the pupils. Even the ones he chucked stuff at.

Next week they'll be running a story about how kids are running riot these days due to lack of discipline. Bring back punishment never did me any harm etc.

As a society that is what we tend to do.. over react in both directions.

We don't really want to go back to strict corporal punishment like we had in the early/mid 20th century, but we also don't want our kids to be so free that they spend the whole time dicking about and not actually learning anything.

As a kid, if someone had asked me whether I would rather do maths problems or play around, I would have been playing around with my mates all day every day. Yet now I appreciate the education I have.

Nobody wants to deliberately torture their kids (as I think injin is suggesting), parents just want their kids to learn because they earnestly believe that in the long run they will be thankful, happier and more capable of dealing with any problems/opportunities life throws at them.

There IS such a thing as tough love. As long as it is done in the best interest of the child, and is mixed in equal measure with encouragement, fun and freedom I don't think it's an issue.

We don't really want to go back to strict corporal punishment like we had in the early/mid 20th century, but we also don't want our kids to be so free that they spend the whole time dicking about and not actually learning anything.

As a kid, if someone had asked me whether I would rather do maths problems or play around, I would have been playing around with my mates all day every day. Yet now I appreciate the education I have.

Nobody wants to deliberately torture their kids (as I think injin is suggesting), parents just want their kids to learn because they earnestly believe that in the long run they will be thankful, happier and more capable of dealing with any problems/opportunities life throws at them.

There IS such a thing as tough love. As long as it is done in the best interest of the child, and is mixed in equal measure with encouragement, fun and freedom I don't think it's an issue.

Sensible post. Please be banished from the off topic for a week to think of the errors of your way.

This isn't tough love.

This is kidnapping, threats of or actual assault, extortion via fixed markets in qualifications and then blaming the victim.

Unless we are taling full blown downs syndome most healthy children are more than capable of realising that there is a tomorrow after today by the age of twelve. if they haven't spent 7 years colouring things in and being told about benetton ad style ethinic diversity in a kiddies make-work camp, that is.