House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Alcohol

Mostly unemployment boredom tbh but this crossed my mind today.

The travelling sales man came around early today. He sells moonshine....

I declined because I don't drink much.... but while in the supermarket having to get some tooth paste I spotted a bottle of listerine. £6 for 1.5 litres at 27% alcohol.

OTOH I saw bottles of vodka which were £15 for 700ml which has an alcohol content of 35%. ~ 245ml of pure alcohol.

Listerine is supposed to be denatured i.e. it'll kill you if you drink it.... but what if I took it home and distilled it? Thus getting me 405ml of 100% pure alcohol for £6-7 (the extra £1 is on the distilling costs) I can buy listerine in ultrabulk.

At which I can undercut my travelling salesman guy (until he gets his gangster mates to break my legs).

Yeah I'm just thinking out aloud here, but what are your thoughts?

Mostly unemployment boredom tbh but this crossed my mind today.

The travelling sales man came around early today. He sells moonshine....

I declined because I don't drink much.... but while in the supermarket having to get some tooth paste I spotted a bottle of listerine. £6 for 1.5 litres at 27% alcohol.

OTOH I saw bottles of vodka which were £15 for 700ml which has an alcohol content of 35%. ~ 245ml of pure alcohol.

Listerine is supposed to be denatured i.e. it'll kill you if you drink it.... but what if I took it home and distilled it? Thus getting me 405ml of 100% pure alcohol for £6-7 (the extra £1 is on the distilling costs) I can buy listerine in ultrabulk.

At which I can undercut my travelling salesman guy (until he gets his gangster mates to break my legs).

Yeah I'm just thinking out aloud here, but what are your thoughts?

27% alcohol listerine, have you been on the sauce?

Your more serious alchies drink it straight out of the bottle.

Its bad business practice to destroy your customer base or chattel base. Which is why government doesn't do massacres often.

Its bad business practice to destroy your customer base or chattel base. Which is why government doesn't do massacres often.

What I mean is they don't need you already. They just drink the stuff anyway.

Randomly - are you still manchester based?

Guest eight

So so sad.

The stories themselves, or the fact that he bothered to read them?

eight

All depends what it's denatured with. I can't believe they're using Methnol, the usual suspect, when this is an mouth wash. Methanol's pretty toxic in so many ways and will adsorb through the skin.

The problen with distillation is that Methanol (or whatever the denaturing solvent is) and Ethanol must1 form an azeotropic mixture. This means on a molecular scale they interact in the vapour phase forming a constant boiling mixture with a boiling point consistant with niether component.

Even if they do not form an azeotrope simple distillation would not work due to the similarities in boiling point you would need a very efficient fractionation column.

You cannot fractionate an azeotropic mixture.

1Cannot find anything to back this up but if it were that easy everyone would be fractionating meths.

The denaturing formula for the Ethanol used in Listerine.

Methanol is in there as a potential addative but you can use anything from the list. Might run some through the Mass Spec at work see whats really in it. Don't use the stuff but would deffinately avoid if it contains Methanol

SDA 38-B §21.65 Formula No. 38-B. (a) Formula. To every 100 gallons of alcohol add: Ten pounds of any one or a total of 10 pounds of two or more, of the oils and substances listed below:

• Alpha terpineol
  • Anethole, N.F.
  • Anise oil, N.F.
  • Bay oil (myrcia oil), N.F. XI.
  • Benzaldehyde, N.F.
  • Bergamot oil, N.F. XI.
  • Bitter almond oil, N.F. X.
  • Camphor, U.S.P.
  • Cedar leaf oil, U.S.P. XIII.
  • Chlorothymol, N.F. XII.
  • Cinnamic aldehyde, N.F. IX.
  • Cinnamon oil, N.F.
  • Citronella oil, natural.
  • Clove oil, N.F.
  • Coal tar, U.S.P.
  • Eucalyptol, N.F. XII.
  • Eucalyptus oil, N.F.
  • Eugenol, U.S.P.
  • Guaiacol, N.F. X.
  • Lavender oil, N.F.
  • Menthol, U.S.P.
  • Methyl salicylate, N.F.
  • Mustard oil, volatile (allyl isothiocyanate),U.S.P. XII.
  • Peppermint oil, N.F.
  • Phenol, U.S.P.
  • Phenyl salicylate (salol), N.F. XI.
  • Pine oil, N.F. XII.
  • Pine needle oil, dwarf, N.F.
  • Rosemary oil, N.F. XII.
  • Safrole.
  • Sassafras oil, N.F. XI.
  • Spearmint oil, N.F.
  • Spearmint oil, terpeneless.
  • Spike lavender oil, natural.
  • Storax, U.S.P.
  • Thyme oil, N.F. XII.
  • Thymol, N.F.
  • Tolu balsam, U.S.P.
  • Turpentine oil, N.F. XI.

If it is shown that none of the above single denaturants or combinations can be used in the manufacture of a particular product, the user may submit an application to the appropriate ATF officer, requesting permission to use another essential oil or substance having denaturing properties satisfactory to the appropriate ATF officer. In such a case the user shall furnish the appropriate ATF officer, with specifications, assay methods, the name and address of the manufacturer, and an 8-ounce sample of the denaturant for analysis.