House Price Crash Forum
Wankan

Reading , Berkshire - Armpit Of The Universe

I owned a 3 bed terraced house in Reading up until last August when I sold up and moved back to my parents pad (long story to do with flooding and the French (bastards) ) . So I'm waiting and watching . Anyways , one place I'm watching for amusement was lived in by an olde guy who died , house put onto market in Mid-2004 , for £160k , sold for £135k in Feb'05 (very , very cheap for the area) . 2 skips of rubbish , a new kitchen and bathroom later the house is back on the market for £195k . 50 yards away from 2 pubs .

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-450...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

Where I used to live has had a few people sell up . The best terraced house (2 bed) in the road , the only one with a (nearly new) detached garage was on the market in 2004 for £195k . It sold after a few reductions for £176k in May'05 . Yet a house further up the road sold for £186k in July with no garage at all . Most expensive house sold on the road , ever . Price increases or idiots ? The latter I fear .

Anyways , I'm not looking to buy again in Reading . The council are too crooked (likened to a Stalinist regime by some) and rates are gonna go through the roof I fear (they want a new building for £35mil or so I hear) .

Apart from little pockets of resistance the only areas worth living in are North Reading ie Emmer Green , Caversham Heights . Lower Caversham is okay in parts but the council sold land to the Ealing Housing Association and they moved a load of their undesirables out there (let's stone the firemen etc) , known to the local doctors as Kalashnikov Road .

Edited by Wankan

Have you seen the new Kings Reach flats on Napier Road

Prices start from £219000 for a 2 bedroom flat, and only a £99 deposit to move in!

Am I the only one that finds this development tacky. A natural less extreme colour for the roof mights have helped for starters.

kingsReach.jpg

post-2393-1127933266_thumb.jpg

I owned a 3 bed terraced house in Reading up until last August when I sold up and moved back to my parents pad (long story to do with flooding and the French (bastards) ) . So I'm waiting and watching . Anyways , one place I'm watching for amusement was lived in by an olde guy who died , house put onto market in Mid-2004 , for £160k , sold for £135k in Feb'05 (very , very cheap for the area) . 2 skips of rubbish , a new kitchen and bathroom later the house is back on the market for £195k . 50 yards away from 2 pubs .

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-450...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

Where I used to live has had a few people sell up . The best terraced house (2 bed) in the road , the only one with a (nearly new) detached garage was on the market in 2004 for £195k . It sold after a few reductions for £176k in May'05 . Yet a house further up the road sold for £186k in July with no garage at all . Most expensive house sold on the road , ever . Price increases or idiots ? The latter I fear .

Anyways , I'm not looking to buy again in Reading . The council are too crooked (likened to a Stalinist regime by some) and rates are gonna go through the roof I fear (they want a new building for £35mil or so I hear) .

Apart from little pockets of resistance the only areas worth living in are North Reading ie Emmer Green , Caversham Heights . Lower Caversham is okay in parts but the council sold land to the Ealing Housing Association and they moved a load of their undesirables out there (let's stone the firemen etc) , known to the local doctors as Kalashnikov Road .

Tried the link & it looks like some Muppet has bought it or it's been taken off the market for some other reason.

Have you seen the new Kings Reach flats on Napier Road

Prices start from £219000 for a 2 bedroom flat, and only a £99 deposit to move in!

Am I the only one that finds this development tacky. A natural less extreme colour for the roof mights have helped for starters.

I think they're extremely tacky . The roof makes a great ski-jump though , for when/if thecrash ever happens .

Tried the link & it looks like some Muppet has bought it or it's been taken off the market for some other reason.

Thanks , I hadn't noticed .

Interesting . It's not showing as SSTC on Rightmove yet the FSS is still outside . Maybe they're going to rent it out now .

Edit: It's still for sale on the EA's website

http://www.farmeranddyer.co.uk/property.cfm?cost=151

I wonder why they aren't putting it on Rightmove any longer ?

What else is missing from Rightmove and is it a reliable source of info now ?

Edited by Wankan

Oh, look - my parents' old house is back on the market!

Sold for just over 180k about 18 months ago now...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-947...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

Looks like they've put in new kitchen units, redone the bathroom, added central heating, removed the carpets! :D

Looks like developers have not found a way to get onto the gardens yet, too.

(They have been trying to buy up that triangle of land for over 20 years, but its boxed in by school grounds so planning permission always gets turned down.)

Two doors up is also on the market:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-842...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Used to be a good area, but starting to go down hill - chavs off the hexham road estate spreading up the road etc.

Thanks , I hadn't noticed .

Interesting . It's not showing as SSTC on Rightmove yet the FSS is still outside . Maybe they're going to rent it out now .

Edit: It's still for sale on the EA's website

http://www.farmeranddyer.co.uk/property.cfm?cost=151

I wonder why they aren't putting it on Rightmove any longer ?

What else is missing from Rightmove and is it a reliable source of info now ?

Ive noticed that quite a few EA websites are out of date.

Its my theory thet the glut of new properties plus cost

cutting by the EAs (either firing staff or reducing the

ads placed with website engines) is leaving this work undone.

Ive noticed that quite a few EA websites are out of date.

Its my theory thet the glut of new properties plus cost

cutting by the EAs (either firing staff or reducing the

ads placed with website engines) is leaving this work undone.

I would have thought the EA website would be a one click affair , converting to html , updated from the EA's database . Could be the reason Rightmove isn't being used is because maybe it's pay per click and the EA doesn't want to pay Rightmove ????? Maybe the EA has seen this sight ???

Oh, look - my parents' old house is back on the market!

Sold for just over 180k about 18 months ago now...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-947...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

Looks like they've put in new kitchen units, redone the bathroom, added central heating, removed the carpets! :D

Looks like developers have not found a way to get onto the gardens yet, too.

(They have been trying to buy up that triangle of land for over 20 years, but its boxed in by school grounds so planning permission always gets turned down.)

Two doors up is also on the market:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-842...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Used to be a good area, but starting to go down hill - chavs off the hexham road estate spreading up the road etc.

Aren't those 2 houses really close to Whitley Wood , a huge council estate (bus drivers eye's sprayed with bleach resulting in a police guard on buses scenario) ?

Edited by Wankan

I've noticed recently that the Romans website has loads of propeties labelled "sold subject to contract", especially those around Woodley & Twyford. Do you think this is some kind of marketing ploy to make sales look good, or do you think they've really been selling? romans

I've noticed recently that the Romans website has loads of propeties labelled "sold subject to contract", especially those around Woodley & Twyford. Do you think this is some kind of marketing ploy to make sales look good, or do you think they've really been selling? romans

I'm guessing it's a ploy as they're also showing houses sold at auction . Why bother ?

I noticed on Rightmove a while back nearly every advert by Whiteknights was a SSTC or UO .

I'm guessing it's a ploy as they're also showing houses sold at auction . Why bother ?

I noticed on Rightmove a while back nearly every advert by Whiteknights was a SSTC or UO .

I just can't see how a ploy like that would have an impact on sales... If they are showing more "sstc and uo" properties than "available" ones, there must be hundreds that are not advertised on the website. As for false advertising, "SSTC" all over an ad would put buyers off, wouldn't it?

They must be really desperate if they think it will work!

I just can't see how a ploy like that would have an impact on sales... If they are showing more "sstc and uo" properties than "available" ones, there must be hundreds that are not advertised on the website. As for false advertising, "SSTC" all over an ad would put buyers off, wouldn't it?

They must be really desperate if they think it will work!

I've heard a bit about EA's showing SSTC on properties which have been sold months prior and the sale registered with LR . Show something is popular and the people will buy . What alternative do they have ? A website showing the same old , same old , or one showing an optimistic , buoyant market . I have a knaff memory but I don't really remember seeing so many SSTC's on EA's website during the boom but I'm probably wrong . As usual .

Aren't those 2 houses really close to Whitley Wood , a huge council estate (bus drivers eye's sprayed with bleach resulting in a police guard on buses scenario) ?

Not that close - Whitley Wood is the other end of northumberland avenue, so a couple of kilometres away. Its a very long road.

But the dodgy areas have been spreading slowly up the hill...

I've heard a bit about EA's showing SSTC on properties which have been sold months prior and the sale registered with LR . Show something is popular and the people will buy . What alternative do they have ? A website showing the same old , same old , or one showing an optimistic , buoyant market .

It's probably also an explanation for the "sold" signs that stay up all over the place for up to a year after the sale! Round the corner from me a "sold" sign that had been up for ages fell over - the next day it was back up, in an even more prominent place!

Not that close - Whitley Wood is the other end of northumberland avenue, so a couple of kilometres away. Its a very long road.

But the dodgy areas have been spreading slowly up the hill...

I guess they must commute then :huh::D as I used to work near Craddock Road and we were broken into a good few times .

Where would you say the dodgy areas are in Reading ?

The Oxford Road area (crack houses and brothels) West Reading .

Cemetary Junction (drug related shooting there last year) East Reading .

The Amersham Road area (alleged thieves and the stoning of firemen etc) Lower Caversham (where the council allowed Ealing Housing Assoc to export Ealings hardcases , allegedly :-) ) .

Whitley Wood (a place renown as a good target for an ICBM attack http://www.knowhere.co.uk/114_goodbad.html if only it could be arranged) South Reading , the place where the allegedly Stalinist council seems to spend most of it's money refurbing pads to have them instantly destroyed by yobbo's , with record non-collection of council rents .

Parts of Tilehurst (Dee Road estate) West Reading .

Caversham Park Village , the place where some house roofs are starting to take on the Pagoda look (ie roof sinking in the middle giving pointed ends) . Could be my eye's though .

Edited by Wankan

Reading reminds me of Luton in many ways a place I always try to avoid....

Haha, no where close. Luton is a shocking place. Reading is ok, I actually like living here, loads to do, good enterntainment and shopping, nice jobs, good transport. Shame house prices are so high :(

Reading is ok, I actually like living here, loads to do, good enterntainment

I know I'm a bit of a miserable , boring olde git , but what is the "loads to do , good entertainment" bit ?

I lose track of developments here but isn't there just the 1 cinema (in the Oracle ?) and maybe 2 swimming pools . Loads of pubs and people pissing up side streets of an evening which could be considered entertainment . But "loads to do" ? Reading festival and WOMAD once a year maybe but .....

House prices are ridiculous . Where I sold is being populated with young professional's , solicitors , lawyers , accountants . Clever people . But when you realise they are now heavily in debt to buy a house once lived in by a 19th century low paid biscuit factory worker . Something is amiss .

I know I'm a bit of a miserable , boring olde git , but what is the "loads to do , good entertainment" bit ?

I lose track of developments here but isn't there just the 1 cinema (in the Oracle ?) and maybe 2 swimming pools . Loads of pubs and people pissing up side streets of an evening which could be considered entertainment . But "loads to do" ? Reading festival and WOMAD once a year maybe but .....

House prices are ridiculous . Where I sold is being populated with young professional's , solicitors , lawyers , accountants . Clever people . But when you realise they are now heavily in debt to buy a house once lived in by a 19th century low paid biscuit factory worker . Something is amiss .

Clever people eh? Make's you wonder about the benefits of education....

Reading is not so bad, I was born and dragged up here. Sure, there are rough bits like a lot places but it's still some way better than.......Slough! :D

Agree about the 'people pishing up side streets' , it can get a bit fraught of a w/e

Regards

Frank

I guess they must commute then :huh::D as I used to work near Craddock Road and we were broken into a good few times .

Where would you say the dodgy areas are in Reading ?

The Oxford Road area (crack houses and brothels) West Reading .

Cemetary Junction (drug related shooting there last year) East Reading .

The Amersham Road area (thieves and stoning of firemen etc) Lower Caversham (where the council allowed Ealing Housing Assoc to export Ealings hardcases) .

Whitley Wood (a place renown as a good target for a napalm attack if only it could be arranged) South Reading , the place where the Stalinist council seems to spend most of it's money refurbing pads to have them instantly destroyed by yobbo's , with record non-collection of council rents .

Parts of Tilehurst (Dee Road estate) West Reading .

Caversham Park Village (known for subsidence in the 60's , 70's) , the place where some house roofs are starting to take on the Pagoda look (ie roof sinking in the middle giving pointed ends) .

oxford road is definitely dodgy and has been for years.

cemetary junction used to be just about passable but that was over a decade ago now.

whitley wood and caversham park village used to reasonably okay when I was in school in the early 80s.

tilehurst always had rough parts but also reasonable areas back then too.

caversham was generally for the ultra-posh only, and was always wanting to seceed from reading and berkshire and become a separate town in oxfordshire. I guess caversham heights must be trying to seceed from lower caversham these days :-)

Coley and Katesgrove (elgar road area) were always a bit rough too.

Castlehill was posh-but-fading.

Redland/Whiteknights/Shinfield Road/"university area" were posh. (estate agents generally counted the very top of Northumberland avenue as far as Newcastle Road/george palmer school as "university area". Beyond there it was just Whitley.)

Everyone who could afford to wanted to live in the Maiden Erleigh catchment area.

Craddock road area - the parts near you were just ordinary Whitley. Famous for idiots like the bloke who stole an IRA bomb off a train bound for Paddington cause it was unattended. Has always had rough patches, but they used to be smaller.

Whitley Wood doesn't really start until you get past the South Reading Leisure Centre.

Reading is generally deteriorating, these days. Fortunately I no longer have any attachments to it.

And it was always too close to London to attract much in the way of entertainment whilst simultaneously being too far from london for teenagers to go to london to access entertainment/things to do!

Clever people eh? Make's you wonder about the benefits of education....

Reading is not so bad, I was born and dragged up here. Sure, there are rough bits like a lot places but it's still some way better than.......Slough! :D

Agree about the 'people pishing up side streets' , it can get a bit fraught of a w/e

Regards

Frank

Sorry Frank . That wasn't a comment about the intelligence of the people now , it was more a comment about the system that has made highly qualified people worst off (in a way) than poorly paid biscuit factory workers "then". ie the PPBFW would groove in the pad , yet now the HQP have to be highly in debt for years to groove in the same pad .

If you wish to know the dodgy areas in any town or city, talk to a pizza delivery person or taxi driver . they will tell you the area that make them most nervious.

As it happens the parts of Reading that are dodgiest are -

1. Coley Park - why do late night buses not run in this area ? reason ,dodgy

2. Whitley - specifically Hexham Road and Swallowfield Drive. try riding a late night number 5 bus and you will see.

3. Amersham Road - Without this estate Caversham would be idyllic, what a shame

4. Oxford Road - habitat of druggies and prostitutes, any sane person should NOT buy a house on this road

And YET you compare these areas of Reading to dodgy areas of cities such as Manchester or Birmingham it appears quite serene. At least you can walk most streets without looking over your back, right?

Yeh as a young professional myself its one of the best towns I've ever lived in. But then again, iv lived in slough wycombe, portsmouth which isnt much of a comparisson :)

I dont think the binge drinking in reading is half as bad as most places, the town is nicely laid out for nightlife which keeps it away from the main resedential areas. Also you got a great football team ;) excellent transport links and a clean town center.

A new block of flats behind a local supermarket RG4 seem to have all been sold very quickly . Just finished and then sold . A lot actually appearing at LR . Original prices were I think from £120-160k . Have to wait for the free Oct LR figures to see what they went for . Really suprised they went so quickly due to the location .

Another infill site says they have sold 10 out of 11 yet nothing appears at LR (these are £450k , 3-4 bed , concrete floored modern things) .

All quite exciting .