House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bloo Loo

Food Parcel

Hi, the food parcel has just been updated and I can report the following rise.

including 50L 4* fuel, the Parcel last year was £98.45...now £106.45 a rise of around 8%.

excluding the fuel, there was a special today on eggs which skews the whole thing, so to be fair, Ill show both

last year, £39.95 and with actual paid prices todays is £40.50 a rise of 1% or so.

without the special on eggs todays price ( and eggs have been steady for a while now at £2.72 a box of 12) todays price would have been £41.07, a rise of around 3%.

Milk is also cheaper by 30p on its normal 31.53 and is today £1.25.

Bread is the same, however, fish and some veges are up...sweet potatos £1.35 v £0.94 february.

Fruit took a tumble last year but prices are rising fast.

Hope this helps Merv in his deliberations.

Graph or GTFO.

;)

*really though you should graph it up.

I though tthe figures 8%, 1% or 3% would give all you need to know.

I though tthe figures 8%, 1% or 3% would give all you need to know.

I guess i am missing something, sorry.

You do this food parcel price check regularly so l was suggesting it should be graphed up including your previous data points.

If you have already done this and l just cant see the link then apologies all round.

I guess i am missing something, sorry.

You do this food parcel price check regularly so l was suggesting it should be graphed up including your previous data points.

If you have already done this and l just cant see the link then apologies all round.

Id have to have done three graphs for the above information, plus the explanation and all the rest.

and my basket doesnt reflect the CPI, its what a student needed to help her out with her food.

I added the fuel in for interest.

It is interesting how a few special offers can affect the inflation on a regular shop in one store.

Also, there are gaps in the data, as when she left Uni, I only did this when inflation and interest rates became topical again...as they are.

Id have to have done three graphs for the above information, plus the explanation and all the rest.

and my basket doesnt reflect the CPI, its what a student needed to help her out with her food.

I added the fuel in for interest.

It is interesting how a few special offers can affect the inflation on a regular shop in one store.

Also, there are gaps in the data, as when she left Uni, I only did this when inflation and interest rates became topical again...as they are.

ta, interesting. I wonder how long before food takes off again on the back of the recent surge in fuel prices. I paid my highest ever, 137.9p a litre last week.

Hi, the food parcel has just been updated and I can report the following rise.

including 50L 4* fuel, the Parcel last year was £98.45...now £106.45 a rise of around 8%.

excluding the fuel, there was a special today on eggs which skews the whole thing, so to be fair, Ill show both

last year, £39.95 and with actual paid prices todays is £40.50 a rise of 1% or so.

without the special on eggs todays price ( and eggs have been steady for a while now at £2.72 a box of 12) todays price would have been £41.07, a rise of around 3%.

Milk is also cheaper by 30p on its normal 31.53 and is today £1.25.

Bread is the same, however, fish and some veges are up...sweet potatos £1.35 v £0.94 february.

Fruit took a tumble last year but prices are rising fast.

Hope this helps Merv in his deliberations.

...yesterday I bought 8 large fresh lemons for a pound....last year about the same time they were 30p each in a well known store.....same for eggs, like for like....depends where you go to shop, different places for different things, and the places do change. ;)

What about if you have to post the parcel, that might add a bit? :P

On line shopping could have its drawbacks....On line food shopping, there is also the delivery fee to consider comparing travel by car to doing it yourself, if it is a journey you would not normally take. ;):P

If you can hit the offers then you can avoid the impact of overall food inflation but then you're held to ransom to whatever is on offer.

Something else I have noticed in the supermarkets is the price of non-food stuff. Branded cleaning products for things like clothes and dishwashing seem to have jumped in price. Costco have stopped stocking the clothes washing product I typically buy - which normally suggests they cannot get it at a decent price anymore.

If you can hit the offers then you can avoid the impact of overall food inflation but then you're held to ransom to whatever is on offer.

Something else I have noticed in the supermarkets is the price of non-food stuff. Branded cleaning products for things like clothes and dishwashing seem to have jumped in price. Costco have stopped stocking the clothes washing product I typically buy - which normally suggests they cannot get it at a decent price anymore.

Use Washing soda (Sodium carbonate). 1kg is less that a quid and will do 15-20 washes.

I don't know if its just because I'm poorer than last year, but it seems that supermarkets are discounting (BOGOF etc etc) much more than previously. If you're flexible with what you eat, you can shop very cheaply. Morrisons do a selection of fruit or veg for 30p a bag. If you want to live on parsnips, potatoes and pears for a week you can live on less than a fiver a week I reckon! Yet still chavs on the telly claim they eat at kebab shops because its cheaper than buying proper food, wtf?