House Price Crash Forum

My Caribbean Bookings Have Collapsed, Again

Caribbean Beauty

HOLA441

Just a question, CB. What kind of Governmental body (bodies) oversee and promote tourism in the area?

If tourism is an important source of revenue, then usually such bodies tend to shield tourists from corrupt police and so on. Or even local laws. The mid-East countries looking to expand through tourism, particularly Dubai, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, have tried to shield tourists from draconian laws like going to prison for adultery and being overdrawn. Not always successfully . . .

Then you get places like Cuba that suddenly became holiday destinations, in spite of a huge image problem.

Are the national promoters working hard enough?

No, they are not. Your ideas are exactly what is needed, but Caribbean people are renowned for being laid back, and laissez faire, disorganised etc. Typically a =n under resourced small island tourism department will have its senior civil servants pre-occupied with hiring the prettiest young girls to work in the office, then jetting off on endless luxury hotel junkets with them for some fun, while Jamaica does it best - they save the money by keeping the civil servants at home and spending it correctly, eg on the superb cable TV ads, London/NYC underground station ads etc etc. Their figures are up each year. But the other islands are generally poor to fair.

You hint at unity - they have formed the Carribean Tourism Organisation, but it is failing simply because some of the islands won't pay their subs to keep it going, and staff are being laid off! They want the goodies but won't pay for them, too busy troughing at home for which they need every dollar of tax revenue they can (inefficiently) raise.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

glad to hear it.couldn't beleive the prices last time I looked.

Yes, cottages are crazy expensive - one 2 bedroom one cost us 1025 squids last summer for a fortnight in the Dales (lovely though).

Sadly the campsites appear to be price gouging now, taking advantage of the increased business from folks trying to save wonga - round these parts pitching a tent will cost you up to 200 quid a week!!!! There are older seaside B&Bs with ensuite bathrooms and a full english breakfast in the morning for 2 people for less money than 200 for the week, without the need to sleep on wet grass under a damp tent, before walking through other people's urine to take a poo in the morning.

HOLA443
There are older seaside B&Bs with ensuite bathrooms and a full english breakfast in the morning for 2 people for less money than 200 for the week, without the need to sleep on wet grass under a damp tent, before walking through other people's urine to take a poo in the morning.

Admit it, you're a shill for the camping lobby. :lol:

HOLA444
HOLA445

Jamaica does it best - they save the money by keeping the civil servants at home and spending it correctly, eg on the superb cable TV ads, London/NYC underground station ads etc etc. Their figures are up each year. But the other islands are generally poor to fair.

You are forgetting the Dominican Republic which attracts far more tourists than any other island in the Caribbean and is seeing increases in tourists rather than decreases, due to their close ties with major package operators in Europe and the US/Canada.

Even Cuba has more arrivals than Jamaica.

There are some interesting stats here:

http://www.onecaribbean.org/statistics/2010statistics/default.aspx

HOLA446

You are forgetting the Dominican Republic which attracts far more tourists than any other island in the Caribbean and is seeing increases in tourists rather than decreases, due to their close ties with major package operators in Europe and the US/Canada.

Even Cuba has more arrivals than Jamaica.

There are some interesting stats here:

http://www.onecaribbean.org/statistics/2010statistics/default.aspx

I was comparing the ex British Empire islands, of which Jamaica performs best (Bermuda and Caymans do well for their size but they are still current British possessions with sensible governance).

Sadly many of the islands have been rules by mini-Mugabes aince independence and it's all going downhill rapidly - my fear is that the largest employer will soon be the drug barons, as tourism slides and slides. Think Cartagena in the 80s and you see what can happen when drugs overtake tourism (or mexican resorts NOW). Jamaica is slowly winning this battle but they have been through the years of anarchy - which Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua are only just now entering - their wilderness years. But these tiny islands have much lower resources and other industries to raise funds to fight the battle with - unlike Jamaica. It's going to be a rough ride.

HOLA447

...you haven't followed the thread....it's the B&Bs which come out champions..... :rolleyes:

Really?

Last year it cost us £120 a night for all four of us to sleep in a cramped grotty attic room in a Bournemouth B&B (lovely breakfast mind).

Just days before we had stopped in a 4-star hotel near Reading, with huge immaculate interlinking rooms, gym, swimming pool...entry to Legoland included... only £30 a night more ;)

HOLA448

Tell that to the hundreds of passengers each week who fly Monarch to the Caribbean on their charter services (which you can buy direct or via agents such as Golden Caribbean).

Perhaps you can supply the link then because when I found their web site all they offered was Mediterranean destinations

HOLA449

Really?

Last year it cost us £120 a night for all four of us to sleep in a cramped grotty attic room in a Bournemouth B&B (lovely breakfast mind).

Just days before we had stopped in a 4-star hotel near Reading, with huge immaculate interlinking rooms, gym, swimming pool...entry to Legoland included... only £30 a night more ;)

...ahh ...you went to the wrong part of the country ...CB reported:

Sadly the campsites appear to be price gouging now, taking advantage of the increased business from folks trying to save wonga - round these parts pitching a tent will cost you up to 200 quid a week!!!! There are older seaside B&Bs with ensuite bathrooms and a full english breakfast in the morning for 2 people for less money than 200 for the week, without the need to sleep on wet grass under a damp tent, before walking through other people's urine to take a poo in the morning.

...bearing in mind it's comparing camping and B&B..... :)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Strangely, my mother in law in Greece has her first British booking for a number of years. For a long time she couldn't really compete on price against the British tour operators and focused on mainland continental families and repeats business who wanted quality not quantity. Her prices seem to be one of the few things that hasn't rocketed in price out there.

Although the price of flights out there goes up and up

HOLA4412

The preference of Brits to holiday in ex British Empire islands is due to historical cultural and literal links - they drive on the same side of the road, speak english, share the same privy court (in London) and so on. Islands like Aruba, on the other hand, were dutch "owned".

I thought it was just Aruba was more acceptable to Americans and Canadians because it feels safer, with less visible poverty and higher standards of hotels and shopping malls etc, and being able to travel around the island more freely.

Thought maybe it was just Aruba is less promoted in UK by travel industry, didn't consider the historical connection for Brits travelling to Jamaica, Barbados, interesting.

Cuba seems to be growing in popularity, while Dominican Republic is hardly ever talked about, after it was very popular a few years ago, but with visitors returning with tales of food poisoning, poor hygiene and suchlike, as shown on BBC Watchdog.

The official figures tell a different story no doubt, but hardly anybody is in a hurry to return to Mexico either.*

*Anecdotal feedback from people I know, nothing more scientific than that.

HOLA4413

I thought it was just Aruba was more acceptable to Americans and Canadians because it feels safer, with less visible poverty and higher standards of hotels and shopping malls etc, and being able to travel around the island more freely.

Thought maybe it was just Aruba is less promoted in UK by travel industry, didn't consider the historical connection for Brits travelling to Jamaica, Barbados, interesting.

Cuba seems to be growing in popularity, while Dominican Republic is hardly ever talked about, after it was very popular a few years ago, but with visitors returning with tales of food poisoning, poor hygiene and suchlike, as shown on BBC Watchdog.

The official figures tell a different story no doubt, but hardly anybody is in a hurry to return to Mexico either.*

*Anecdotal feedback from people I know, nothing more scientific than that.

Must say, travel in Mexico (outside of the usual US Spring Break Resorts) is a joy. Yes - there is danger; but there is real life as well.

HOLA4414

Must say, travel in Mexico (outside of the usual US Spring Break Resorts) is a joy. Yes - there is danger; but there is real life as well.

Just keep a cool your head in Mexico and you will be fine! In fact, it is probably best to hold onto your head very firmly. I would certainly not repeat my 1989 2 gringo public bus trip down the Baja California again now, nor would I trawl the nightspots of Tijuana etc etc these days.

HOLA4415

I was comparing the ex British Empire islands, of which Jamaica performs best (Bermuda and Caymans do well for their size but they are still current British possessions with sensible governance).

Sadly many of the islands have been rules by mini-Mugabes aince independence and it's all going downhill rapidly - my fear is that the largest employer will soon be the drug barons, as tourism slides and slides. Think Cartagena in the 80s and you see what can happen when drugs overtake tourism (or mexican resorts NOW). Jamaica is slowly winning this battle but they have been through the years of anarchy - which Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua are only just now entering - their wilderness years. But these tiny islands have much lower resources and other industries to raise funds to fight the battle with - unlike Jamaica. It's going to be a rough ride.

You probably shouldn't be lumping in Trinidad & Tobago with the other islands when discussing the effect of dwindling tourism on their economies. Trinidad has lots of oil (and subsidises Tobago's full-of-potential-yet-woefully-underdeveloped tourism industry) and has never had to "**** kiss" tourists to make a living. It has,I agree, been run by a few "mini-Mugabe's" (very sad how it has squandered its oil wealth), has a dreadful police force and is indeed run by drug barons, but I just thought I should point out that its future is not really affected by whether or not wealthy Brits decide to stop travelling to the Caribbean. The other islands have far far more to lose.

HOLA4416

You probably shouldn't be lumping in Trinidad & Tobago with the other islands when discussing the effect of dwindling tourism on their economies. Trinidad has lots of oil (and subsidises Tobago's full-of-potential-yet-woefully-underdeveloped tourism industry) and has never had to "**** kiss" tourists to make a living. It has,I agree, been run by a few "mini-Mugabe's" (very sad how it has squandered its oil wealth), has a dreadful police force and is indeed run by drug barons, but I just thought I should point out that its future is not really affected by whether or not wealthy Brits decide to stop travelling to the Caribbean. The other islands have far far more to lose.

Good point well said [subjct to 1 correction - the oil has almost run out completely and its economy is now dependent on sales of gas - gas prices do not seem to bubble up so much, if you forgive the pun, and are deflated at the moment, if you forgive the second pun, hence the country has recently turned to the world bank for a baillout - made necessary since the most recent Mugabe character and his loons looted all the cash from the gas price boom years]. So even T&T is broke and in trouble - albeit with better natural resources than, say, St Lucia.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

but that's not flight only.

Click on the "flight" box and the Caribbean destinations disappear

tim

Monarch does not offer scheduled flights to the Caribbean. Instead, the airline has been chartered by agents Golden Caribbean - hence you can buy a flight only on Monarch via this website of the charter-er:

http://www.goldencaribbean.co.uk/?gclid=COuyjo7il6gCFchO4QoduxRiCw

Simples. Typical fares comparison is usually in the order of 600-700 economy on BA/Virgin equates to approximately 400-500 on Monarch. No free booze on Monarch so smuggle on your own, enjoy the perennial sausage and mash prison food and save!

HOLA4420

CB, I should imagine the huge discounts on cruises at the moment could have something to do with it.

Sunday travel sections are full of them.

I know of several lots of people who've booked slashed-price cruises lately.

Can't say I' ve ever fancied them myself - prefer to be in the sea rather than on it - but masses of people seem to love them.

HOLA4421

CB, I should imagine the huge discounts on cruises at the moment could have something to do with it.

Sunday travel sections are full of them.

I know of several lots of people who've booked slashed-price cruises lately.

Can't say I' ve ever fancied them myself - prefer to be in the sea rather than on it - but masses of people seem to love them.

Yes, they certainly will appeal to those with young kids who do not fancy long haul aviation hell (like us) those who like to eat eat eat 24/7 with no worries about extra bills, and those who like laid on entertainment. I noticed that the number of ex UK cruises is booming, presumably to take advantage of people looking to avoid the first flight to florida etc, along with aviation taxes, security queues and so on. Plus you get free parking at the UK ports with some cruises, unlike Gatwick etc which will cripple you.

But are the discounts shown real and genuine - eg can you quote any real bargains your friends got? When I look at cruise websites all I see are massively dear rates by the time you go through all the stages of the booking screens, we were looking at 5-7K for 2 weeks in august, for our family of 4 deparing UK ports, for a basic outside cabin!!!

HOLA4422

But are the discounts shown real and genuine - eg can you quote any real bargains your friends got? When I look at cruise websites all I see are massively dear rates by the time you go through all the stages of the booking screens, we were looking at 5-7K for 2 weeks in august, for our family of 4 deparing UK ports, for a basic outside cabin!!!

I have noticed an uptick in cruise ads and I was wondering myself, since at face value they're not cheap. But then you consider that there are no petrol costs, motorway tolls and no eating out, which saves a fortune these days. I saw one to St Petersburg via Copenhagen, somewhere in Germany and Tallinn for £899. (13 days) Cruises aren't my scene, but maybe better for families than having the kids wedged in the back of the car.

A couple of years ago, even ferries seemed really expensive . . . I wouldn't have minded a ferry to Tallinn to save some driving to Russia. I do think air travel becomes increasingly hostile - security, baggage restrictions, surcharges on everything, overpriced drinks and ill-prepared food. I can imagine cruises have a more elegant appeal.

I wonder if the cruise age will return? My father worked on the Blue Star Line when he left school - then luxury cruises to Argentina were the thing. For working the voyage as a steward he earned the princely sum of 13 shillings. But he ate only cordon bleu.

HOLA4423

Yes, they certainly will appeal to those with young kids who do not fancy long haul aviation hell (like us) those who like to eat eat eat 24/7 with no worries about extra bills, and those who like laid on entertainment. I noticed that the number of ex UK cruises is booming, presumably to take advantage of people looking to avoid the first flight to florida etc, along with aviation taxes, security queues and so on. Plus you get free parking at the UK ports with some cruises, unlike Gatwick etc which will cripple you.

I can't remember any exact figures, but the 2 lots of people I'm particularly thinking of have been on several cruises (the more upmarket ones) and definitely saw their most recent as pretty damn good bargains. In my sister's case last Dec., it was very last minute - she said it was just too good to pass up.

None of them have any reason to bullsh*t me BTW - not trying to make me jealous or anything - they all know Mr B and I aren't into cruises anyway.

HOLA4424

I have noticed an uptick in cruise ads and I was wondering myself, since at face value they're not cheap. But then you consider that there are no petrol costs, motorway tolls and no eating out, which saves a fortune these days. I saw one to St Petersburg via Copenhagen, somewhere in Germany and Tallinn for £899. (13 days) Cruises aren't my scene, but maybe better for families than having the kids wedged in the back of the car.

to Argentina were the thing. For working the voyage as a steward he earned the princely sum of 13 shillings. But he ate only cordon bleu.

Remember that cruise ships tend not to stop for long at their destinations. They maximise their profits by keeping you onboard to drink / gamble / shag. You end up seeing a snippet of the port towns and much of the ship.

Each to their own, but it's not for me, unless I was working as an officer onboard.

Edit: I find night life in any port city / town to be an essential part of my visit so a cruise ship that docks at 7am and ******s off at 4pm is not my scene, but I do understand why people would pay for that.

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4425