House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

U.k. Shop-Price Inflation Slows In March

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-05/u-k-shop-price-inflation-slows-in-march-as-bank-of-england-holds-meeting.html

U.K. Shop-Price Inflation Slows in March as Bank of England Holds Meeting
By Scott "Scotty" Hamilton - Apr 6, 2011 12:01 AM GMT+0100
U.K. shop-price inflation slowed for the first time in four months in March as Bank of England policy makers meet for this month’s interest-rate decision.
Prices charged by retailers rose 2.4 percent from a year ago after advancing 2.7 percent in February, the British Retail Consortium in London said in an e-mailed statement today. That’s the weakest gain since December. In the month, prices fell 0.3 percent after increasing 0.7 percent in February.

Merv will be grinning like a Cheshire Cat. :D

I have a feeling the pendulum is about to go into reverse and what looks good now might look pig ugly in a few months, maybe less.

Far too much euphoria going on everywhere to be sustainable.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-05/u-k-shop-price-inflation-slows-in-march-as-bank-of-england-holds-meeting.html

U.K. shop-price inflation slowed for the first time in four months in March as Bank of England policy makers meet for this month’s interest-rate decision.
Prices charged by retailers rose 2.4 percent from a year ago after advancing 2.7 percent in February, the British Retail Consortium in London said in an e-mailed statement today. That’s the weakest gain since December. In the month, prices fell 0.3 percent after increasing 0.7 percent in February.

I have a feeling the pendulum is about to go into reverse and what looks good now might look pig ugly in a few months, maybe less.

What's the money supply doing?

BRC Director General Stephen Robertson said in the report. “The rise in overall inflation is not coming from the high street but is being driven by escalating fuel prices and utility bills.”

Deflation it is then. No-one needs to be able to buy fuel for transport or keep their homes warm and supplied with electricity so the inflation there is meaningless. It's a good job that they represent such a tiny part of overall household expenses :rolleyes:

Keynes vs. Friedman

Money supply vs.supply-demand-price

2 different universes or perspectives and ne'er the twain will meet.

Sovereign debt reality shows Keynes no longer works and "no free lunch" Friedman does.

Keynes vs. Friedman

Sovereign debt reality shows Keynes no longer works and "no free lunch" Friedman does.

There is no deflation.

Shop prices might even stop rising so fast, or even drop a little when shops get desperate, but if the money supply rises, it's only a matter of time before that gets into circulation in a way that causes what people think of as inflation.

Injin is right about this, RB.

Prices charged by retailers rose 2.4 percent from a year ago...

Yeah, right.

Is their typical shopping basket made up of one 23" flat screen TV and one pint of milk? I can't see how else they get such a low inflation figure.

Yeah, right.

Is their typical shopping basket made up of one 23" flat screen TV and one pint of milk? I can't see how else they get such a low inflation figure.

I can, lie, obfuscate, make the figure up.

Paul Mason is talking about this now on Newsnight and the theme appears to be one of rising prices and an emphasis on stagnant wages.

I have been saying this for a few months now, eventually rising wages will return.

Guest spp

Keynes vs. Friedman

How are those $'s doing v Silver RB!?

There is no deflation.

Shop prices might even stop rising so fast, or even drop a little when shops get desperate, but if the money supply rises, it's only a matter of time before that gets into circulation in a way that causes what people think of as inflation.

Injin is right about this, RB.

Let's not forget about the drop in production worldwide caused by the disaster in Japan too. With more base money being created and production dropping, you don't need to be Einstein to see what is going to happen regarding inflation.

Paul Mason is talking about this now on Newsnight and the theme appears to be one of rising prices and an emphasis on stagnant wages.

I have been saying this for a few months now, eventually rising wages will return.

only works if its rich nation trading with rich nations, we are trading with low wage nations diffferent story.

How are those $'s doing v Silver RB!?

I just revalued my silver dollars and rolls of '64 quarters and dimes and was suprised to see that the Silver Morgan $ are worth $43.00 a piece. I paid about $5 for them back in the 1970's. Shouda invested in stocks. :(

That said, my 1964 Kennedy halves seem to have fared a bit better losing me about 20% per coin (IA adjusted, of course). ;)

Those $ are nearly all in £ now abot to buy a place to actually live in. Even if the house drops another 20% fromhere it will still be a place to live in. Whereas my silver hoard could drop in value 30% in days but I can't be bothered to unload it yet and if I did eBay is getting the best prices right now as coin collectors are paying a premium over weight.

Edited by Realistbear

I just revalued my silver dollars and rolls of '64 quarters and dimes and was suprised to see that the Silver Morgan $ are worth $43.00 a piece. I paid about $5 for them back in the 1970's. Shouda invested in stocks. :(

Which stocks? Incorpotated flares, disco balls and the like?

That said, my 1964 Kennedy halves seem to have fared a bit better losing me about 20% per coin (IA adjusted, of course). ;)

I didn't realise that gold had such a short half life.

Those $ are nearly all in £ now abot to buy a place to actually live in. Even if the house drops another 20% fromhere it will still be a place to live in. Whereas my silver hoard could drop in value 30% in days but I can't be bothered to unload it yet and if I did eBay is getting the best prices right now as coin collectors are paying a premium over weight.

Silver also has a very short half life?

Got any film of these coins evaporating?

Injin 1: Scepticus 0

what injin hasn't realized is that there is no appreciable difference in actuality between the broad money supply (bank debt) and base money, because it's all guaranteed by the printer.

therefore the distinction between base and broad money is mostly specious.

what injin hasn't realized is that there is no appreciable difference in actuality between the broad money supply (bank debt) and base money, because it's all guaranteed by the printer.

therefore the distinction between base and broad money is mostly specious.

What scepticus hasn't realised is that promising to do things isn't the same as having done them, and in reality only done stuff counts for anything.

What scepticus hasn't realised is that promising to do things isn't the same as having done them, and in reality only done stuff counts for anything.

what you really don't realise is that both the base money/tenners and the bank debt are all promises. The tenner is only promised to be accepted tomorrow, just like the bank deposits.

the difference used to be that only tenners were guaranteed by HMG, but now the tenners and the deposits are all certified risk free by HMG.

what you really don't realise is that both the base money/tenners and the bank debt are all promises. The tenner is only promised to be accepted tomorrow, just like the bank deposits.

the difference used to be that only tenners were guaranteed by HMG, but now the tenners and the deposits are all certified risk free by HMG.

Paper money is commodity trading.

Have a think about it from that angle.