House Price Crash Forum

Company Contract Expires At 65 Years Old

HOLA441

My current company contract says I'm only employed until I'm 65 and they won't renew.

So what happens in terms of income now? Do I sign on the rock'n'roll for one year until the pension kicks in?

Will I get job seekers allowance?

I am not understanding what exactly the new retirement age means in real terms

HOLA442
HOLA443

There's lots of things at play here.

Firstly, they can no longer get rid of you at 65, so you can continue working till whenever.

The state pension kicks in at 66, so if you weren't working, the dole for a year first.

Your personal/work pension should be unchanged. If final salary, it would kick in at 65. If money purchase, then it's your choice when to buy an annuity (the longer you wait, the more per year you should received).

Edited by 57percent

HOLA444
HOLA445

My contract states I have to leave the company at age 50...

Luckily I have no intention of being here by time I'm 50.

Not sure how that helps but its weird and wonderful

Again, I think you will find that that clause in your contract is now invalid and you cannot be forced to leave on the basis of having reached a set age. Your position could, of course, simply be made redundant when you reach that age, but I suspect they would be dicing with a possible claim for age discrimination if they did that.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Again, I think you will find that that clause in your contract is now invalid and you cannot be forced to leave on the basis of having reached a set age. Your position could, of course, simply be made redundant when you reach that age, but I suspect they would be dicing with a possible claim for age discrimination if they did that.

The original poster could be on a fixed term contract with a date of expiry set to coincide with his 65th birthday. In this case he would not be being forced to leave. Simply his contract would be finishing. No discrimination or claim.

I suspect that this type of arrangement will become common in the future.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The original poster could be on a fixed term contract with a date of expiry set to coincide with his 65th birthday. In this case he would not be being forced to leave. Simply his contract would be finishing. No discrimination or claim.

I wonder if that is true, though sorry if you have detailed knowledge of the law, and it is.

I think that after one year you can claim unfair dismissal. That might well be possible if the employer replaced you with a newly hired younger employee? http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Dismissal/DG_175834

You also cannot normally have a sequence of fixed term contracts spanning more than four years. Your contract just becomes permanent if you do. I am not sure if this applies to one contract over four years long, however I expect that if it didn't then the new legislation would be effectively meaningless, so there is a good chance that it either does or further legislation would address it? http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Understandingyourworkstatus/Fixedtermworkers/DG_175138 (NB: this link might also be relevant to the original poster)

(None of this is advice, necessarily correct, don't in any way rely on it, etc, etc)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

My contract states I have to leave the company at age 50...

Luckily I have no intention of being here by time I'm 50.

Not sure how that helps but its weird and wonderful

We must distinguish between fixed term contracts using age as the calculation point for determining that term AND a contract written before the new legislation kicked in which says you are retiring at 65. The latter case is now unlawful and you need not leave just on account of age even if it says so in the contract. There would have to be another reason to get rid of you. So just keep on working if you want!

HOLA4414