House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonkers

Start Up In New Industry

I have a contact managing a start up company in a new industry. I know him from my old industry.

There is an opportunity going for project management. I have emailed offering to 'prove my value' (work for a minimum amount while learning the new industry). I am older where you would not usually offer to do this.

If you were him would you take up the offer?

1. It is a new industry so there will not be many with the required experience who want to move companies

2. I can be fully molded to requirements (no baggage)

3. No financial risk / getting stuck with blagging rubbish employee

Will he worry that my skills won't transfer (his did)? Will the working for cheap offer while I train devalue me?

What would you do if you were him?

What does 'no financial risk' mean in regards to starting a new company?

Cushy Govt contracts for the next 10 years lined up?

What does 'no financial risk' mean in regards to starting a new company?

Cushy Govt contracts for the next 10 years lined up?

No financial risk in hiring me, he can be sure I am the right fit via training...

If someone I have never met emails me offering to work for very cheap, I will be suspicious and not hire them.

However, given that you already know the guy, you can explain your circumstances clearly to him, and how it will benefit him with a start up.

I'd be looking for the best project manager I could get. Someone who can deliver on time, to budget and is a great communicator, organiser, motivator and risk assessor.

If you're a professional PM, demand to be remunerated as such. If the start up can't meet this at present negotiate on what else can they offer you i.e. more strategic experience than you've had previously, staff discounts, flexitime etc.

I would expect the entrepreneur to be gaining the industry knowledge and connections.

Think carefully about the longevity of the opportunity though as a high percentage of new businesses fail and early on

I have a contact managing a start up company in a new industry. I know him from my old industry.

There is an opportunity going for project management. I have emailed offering to 'prove my value' (work for a minimum amount while learning the new industry). I am older where you would not usually offer to do this.

If you were him would you take up the offer?

1. It is a new industry so there will not be many with the required experience who want to move companies

2. I can be fully molded to requirements (no baggage)

3. No financial risk / getting stuck with blagging rubbish employee

Will he worry that my skills won't transfer (his did)? Will the working for cheap offer while I train devalue me?

What would you do if you were him?

I think much would depend on how you worded the email.

If you were to get across your keenness to move into that industry, go on to state why you want to, what you can offer, what you have already which you think will transfer and why, and then finish that with your offer, I think I'd certainly invite you in for interview.

After all, you could have gone for any job, anywhere. So I wouldn't think you were desperate, personally, I'd be impressed with your approach and if I really thought you deserved a chance, and you were offering to work for a pittance, I'd meet you somewhere between the pittance and the full wage.

Good luck.

I knew somebody who did similar - though on the finance side - and after being there a few months and sorting it out his own recommendation was that they were never going to need someone as experienced and expensive as him so he recruited a more junior successor.

As a friend he did the owner a tremendous favour, but personally (though he didn't see it like this and I didn't point it out) he had lost money through not being paid much when he was there, and a really cushy little number if he had decided to stay on.

Good luck.

I knew somebody who did similar - though on the finance side - and after being there a few months and sorting it out his own recommendation was that they were never going to need someone as experienced and expensive as him so he recruited a more junior successor.

As a friend he did the owner a tremendous favour, but personally (though he didn't see it like this and I didn't point it out) he had lost money through not being paid much when he was there, and a really cushy little number if he had decided to stay on.

This job would be a life changer, and I deserve a break.

My temptation is just to refuse to leave their office.

Anyone worked in an Agile environment? On researching it seems right up my street, I like the accountability...

The customary startup arrangement is to work for peanuts, but take a stake in the business. So you have a real stake in making it a success.

This job would be a life changer, and I deserve a break.

My temptation is just to refuse to leave their office.

Anyone worked in an Agile environment? On researching it seems right up my street, I like the accountability...

I use agile project management to manage my software development projects and am very keen.

I think the team like it because they all get to speak in the morning scrum which we make as supportive as poss, they can pick their tasks from all those available and the burndown chart gives them great visibility of how they're doing.

Good luck.

P.S. I think if you're a good PM it shouldn't matter about the salary and they should pay you the going rate.

I have read up on Agile and it seems right up my street. I think I was a bit intense at the interview as I am so keen, bit of nerves and stress, but hope they realise I am not like that ordinarily! Hoping like mad they take me on :)

I have read up on Agile and it seems right up my street. I think I was a bit intense at the interview as I am so keen, bit of nerves and stress, but hope they realise I am not like that ordinarily! Hoping like mad they take me on :)

Usually works best at interviews, intense and keen is about the only way I get employment. Something to take down the "I only demonstrate three skills well;

loyalty, a work ethic and inventiveness" people.

Got second interview. need to exhibit my calm side, not the knicker wetting schoolgirl side.

Well I was calm, collected and approachable, the soft skills, and just had a friendly chat with the MD.

Now, the other candidates are coming through a recruiter which means they will save a few thousand pounds by hiring me direct, how much will this influence their decision?

I imagine I have been far more enthusiastic and pro-active then the other candidates, I have one person in the company on my side... what's the betting?