House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

People Have To Pay For Their Own Kids - Shocker

From the news on bbc breakfast today you might think that people decide only to have a kid for the generous benefits they could get.

They interviewed some about to drop ladies who all seemed gutted not to be getting the mega baby bonus and one as good as said "i wouldn't be having the kid now if i knew they were stopping this money" ...

Ok so I am stretching that last bit a little (Not as much as the baby will though!)

And another shocker was "Rich people won't get benefits"

From the news on bbc breakfast today you might think that people decide only to have a kid for the generous benefits they could get.

They interviewed some about to drop ladies who all seemed gutted not to be getting the mega baby bonus and one as good as said "i wouldn't be having the kid now if i knew they were stopping this money" ...

Ok so I am stretching that last bit a little (Not as much as the baby will though!)

Having fairly recently had a new baby in the house, what pisses me off is that my wife and I spent the last 10 years paying for Labour's legion of chavs.

Whilst not getting some to these benefits now might feel a little unfair given others did in the past, I'd happily trade them in for a decent tax cut.

Maybe there'll be a rise in sales of 2nd hand baby equipment.

And a fall in sales of uber-expensive buggies etc.

Though on 2nd thoughts the sort of people who had to have the most expensive of everything for a baby who doesn't give a toss, will probably still want it.

Trying to sell some of the exensive baby stuff we bought (missus didn't want 2nd hand...). Seems like many people think the same way - my £200 pristine Mountain Buggy carrycot sold on ebay for £15. Some of the stuff doesn't even attract a single bid. Everyone I know who is about to have a kid, gets the "borrow or buy 2nd hand" speech from me now.

Trying to sell some of the exensive baby stuff we bought (missus didn't want 2nd hand...). Seems like many people think the same way - my £200 pristine Mountain Buggy carrycot sold on ebay for £15. Some of the stuff doesn't even attract a single bid. Everyone I know who is about to have a kid, gets the "borrow or buy 2nd hand" speech from me now.

Good grief! Why pay £200 for something new you can get almost new for £15?

Trying to sell some of the exensive baby stuff we bought (missus didn't want 2nd hand...). Seems like many people think the same way - my £200 pristine Mountain Buggy carrycot sold on ebay for £15.Some of the stuff doesn't even attract a single bid. Everyone I know who is about to have a kid, gets the "borrow or buy 2nd hand" speech from me now.

And they say people haven't got any money...

I can understand anyone wanting new for a 1st baby, but it seems that 'new' also has to mean bloody expensive.

Was pretty tight when buying for my 1st, when I look back. Cheapest carry-cot on wheels from Mothercare, but then my m-i-l wanted to pay for it and she didn't have much money. But it was fine. As if the baby gives a hoot, as long as it's warm and cosy, fed, washed and loved.

I had my first baby last year and bought the "travel system" 2nd hand. I was the only one of my friends to do so - some sunk upwards of 900 quid - because for the yummy mummy mumsnet brigade in West London, only Stokke will do. Anyway, the damn things are only good for a few months and then you want a tiny, light, fold-away buggy not a monstrosity.

Anyway, I was told anecdotally that prams and the like had very "normal" prices until bloody Labour started giving everyone a 500 quid grant and then the pram companies rubbed their hands with glee!

you think £200 is expensive? try four figures for one of those uber-duber prams that convert into a car seat thing. Nuts, that is more than what my car itself is worth.

And yes, people do buy shite like that. And yes, the second hand values are miniscule, which tells you all you need to know about stupid people.

I reckon all parents want to avoid starting their newborn off with secondhand gear. There is very little financial imperative nowadays to buy secondhand. If you are on low income, the Govt will give you a £500 SureStart maternity grant to get started.

Edit: Sorry if that sounded a bit 'Mumsnet', should I edit it to make some comment about my taxes!

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

I reckon all parents want to avoid starting their newborn off with secondhand gear. There is very little financial imperative nowadays to buy secondhand. If you are on low income, the Govt will give you a £500 SureStart maternity grant to get started.

Dunno, the people who buy £1k prams are those who struggle by on £1.5k pcm mortgages - certainly not multi-m businessmen or sheikhs, but not chav poor either. Do they qualify for a maternity grant?

If so, it's even more stupid, as you still end up paying £500+ for the new pram, whereas a second hand one of eBay would be the cost of a few pints.

our first buggy was a pram.

today, the first buggy looks and handles like an all terrrain 4x4, with chunky tyres, independent suspension and 4 level safety harness for precious meat....oh, and an Ipad holder.

Dunno, the people who buy £1k prams are those who struggle by on £1.5k pcm mortgages - certainly not multi-m businessmen or sheikhs, but not chav poor either. Do they qualify for a maternity grant?

If so, it's even more stupid, as you still end up paying £500+ for the new pram, whereas a second hand one of eBay would be the cost of a few pints.

Feck me! £1k for a pram!!!

(Interesting that I didnt remark - feck me £1,500 per month mortgage payments!)

The people you mention probably show up in these figures http://www.creditaction.org.uk/helpful-resources/debt-statistics.html

Edit: Sorry if that sounded a bit 'Mumsnet', should I edit it to make some comment about my taxes!

No need to discuss taxes. But a Jeremy Clarkson style review of the best buggies and why would be redeeming :)

Actually rather cool, if you're Kate Moss.

The Stokke® Xplory® Carrycot provides optimal comfort, shelter, and security for your infant during their first six months.

The curved base with air ventilation prevents moisture from resting on the base of the Carrycot, and allows you to use the gentle rocking-motion to help get your child off to sleep. The integrated carry handles allow you to carry and lift the Stokke® Carrycot safely and easily with just one hand. New adjustable hood with silent operation. Improved attachment for the carrycot apron onto the carrycot.

Curved base with air ventilation - Prevents moisture from resting at the base of the carrycot. Makes it possible for you to rock the carrycot and provide a relaxing motion for your child when placed on a flat surface.

Integrated carry handles - Allow you to lift and carry the carrycot safely. Lift and carry the carrycot conveniently with one hand without the need for further support or assistance.

Carrycot padding. - Provides pockets for convenient storage. Convenient storage for nursing bottles, keys, cell phone etc whilst walking and strolling with your child.

Carrycot Apron. - A protective outer layer that covers blankets and clothing on your child. Provides additional warmth, comfort, and shelter for your child in the carrycot.

Easy to remove fabrics. - All textiles are easily removed and fully machine washable at 40° Celsius. Keeps your Stokke® Xplory® clean and fresh as well as providing the opportunity to change, update, and revise your Stokke® Xplory® colour scheme.

hahahahahaha

Included Kit Parts

· Stokke Xplory Footmuff - Limited Edition Pink - RefCode: LDT4977 - Quantity: 1

· Stokke Xplory Limited Edition Stroller - Pink - RefCode: MYX7704 - Quantity: 1

· Stokke Xplory Carrycot - Limited Edition Pink - RefCode: TCS1432 - Quantity: 1

why do I find the word muff so funny? :lol::lol::lol:

Bet this is less fun... :o:o:o

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go

It's often the way, parents-to-be get carried away with the new baby arriving, they want the best of everything.. after all, you only have your first child once.

Then, when the next one is on it's way you've learned your lesson and any old cast-offs will do !

Having fairly recently had a new baby in the house, what pisses me off is that my wife and I spent the last 10 years paying for Labour's legion of chavs.

Whilst not getting some to these benefits now might feel a little unfair given others did in the past, I'd happily trade them in for a decent tax cut.

Tax cut? It was not taxed money that they were spending, but borrowed money. Even if the government spends less, there will be little room for tax cuts now that the borrowing taps have been turned off.

The younger generations have been well and truly shafted, unfortunately.

200 quid carrycot? Why buy one of those?

Edited by the_duke_of_hazzard

It's often the way, parents-to-be get carried away with the new baby arriving, they want the best of everything.. after all, you only have your first child once.

Then, when the next one is on it's way you've learned your lesson and any old cast-offs will do !

+1

Becoming a (grand)parent for the first time does something to the brain.

You can only get the £500 surestart grant if...

..."you or your partner, receive any of the following on the date you claim:

* Income Support

* income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

* income-related Employment and Support Allowance

* Pension Credit

* Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element

* Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award"

Your kid will also spend the next 16 years or so in school, surrounded by the same Labour's legions of chavs.

I find that to be a bigger concern...

+1

Becoming a (grand)parent for the first time does something to the brain.

indeed, a carry cot or pram is just not PC.

You need a TRAVEL SYSTEM for baby...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jane-Rider-Formula-Travel-System-Molten/dp/B004DB4JZY/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1302081778&sr=1-3

Good grief! Why pay £200 for something new you can get almost new for £15?

As I say, the missus wanted new stuff (as 99% of new mums do). Our other problem was that we had twins and the range of buggys / cots for twins is very limited. In the end, the mother in law bought the Mountain Buggy Urban "pram" for us (eyewatering £1000), and we bought the £200 carrycot attachment, as well as a few other attachments.

Even more galling was that the woman in the shop demonstrated the folding mechanism and told us in no uncertain terms that it would fit into the boot of any standard family car. 3 weeks after the twins were born, we decided to go shopping in the car and the bloody thing wouldn't fit in the boot of either a golf or passat (by only a cm or so). Had to then buy a McClaren folding buggy as well (new natch) (which we would have needed anyway for holidays etc, but still damn annoying)

we decided to go shopping in the car and the bloody thing wouldn't fit in the boot of either a golf or passat (by only a cm or so). Had to then buy a McClaren folding buggy as well (new natch) (which we would have needed anyway for holidays etc, but still damn annoying)

could be worse

mumsy female colleague of mine MEWed and bought an Audi estate to solve same problem