House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Taking Stuff Out Of The Recycling Bin - Send The Police Helicopter

Firstly it was news to me that this was illegal, I'm sure I've read of loads of people on here doing that. And surely it is the perfect recycling as there is no further consumption of resources in putting something back into use so it shoudl be encouraged.

Basically two freecyclers took a couple of things out of a recycling box valued at 47p and the Gloucestershire police turned into total mentals.

Their quotes are the really astounding thing here. Do they even believe it themsleves? If so they should be in a padded cell.

Alerted to two salvagers rummaging through a recycling centre, Gloucester Police sent a helicopter, two vans, three patrol cars and two dog units.

The crack squad managed to apprehend Owen Gray and Angela Cubitt, who had helped themselves to a games console and a power drill – with a combined scrap value of 47p.

The pair said they were told the operation, which involved eight officers, had cost £20,000.

Mr Gray, 50, said: ‘I am unemployed, so cannot go out and buy this stuff. I pick up whatever catches my eye and try to fix it. All they do with the stuff at the tip is crush it and burn the plastic.

‘I go around to the tip about once a month looking for things to salvage and fix up.

‘I have recovered television monitors and computers from there before. I know they have to catch criminals and what I did was wrong – but to send eight officers seemed a very over-the-top response.

The helicopter spotted them first and they were picked up by an officer with dogs at around 10pm.

The were held in a cell overnight before questioning the next day. Mr Gray was allowed to pay £20 to a charity through a scheme that allows officers to deal with small crimes without using the courts.

Superintendent Gary Thompson defended the arrests.

‘We take reports of crimes in progress very seriously, as the public would expect, and allocate resources based on how many officers are available, the quality of the information received and the area we need to cover,’ he said.

‘I make no apology, least of all to any offenders, for responding seriously to an incident like this and would urge the person responsible to think more about the impact their actions had.

‘In the past, people stealing from tips have been responsible for other burglaries or thefts that have had a great impact on the community. [i seee, so they were picked up because this made them potential career burglars, interesting logic]

‘It is important not to downgrade our response based on the location of the crime, or the value of the goods.’ [Yes, it is. Dickhead. It's rule one.]

In February it was reported that budget cuts could cost the force more than 350 officers and civilian staff over the next two years. Chief Constable Tony Melville said he hoped to save £8million by trimming management and support costs.

Can Gary Thompson be sacked now, on the basis that he is a total waste of oxygen?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1373833/20-000-police-helicopter-dog-units-patrol-cars-trap-men-stole-47p-scrap.html

Is this the Daily Mail April Fool 5 days late?

Please tell me it is.

Superintendent Gary Thompson is totally serious about this. I'm afraid 'Bart':

1788145.jpg

Supt Gary Thompson is proud to be returning to his roots.

He said: "I'm really delighted to be moving to Gloucester – it has been my long-held ambition to be responsible for policing in the city, having been born here, gone to school here and lived here." Gary, 42, has been with Gloucestershire Constabulary for more 22 years, and has worked in a variety of roles.

"I look forward to deploying armed response units to deal with minor parking offences." he continued.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/news/Restructure-means-cops-county/article-2672191-detail/article.html

Absolutely mental, but 100% predictable in the insane world we now inhabit.

Surely the sensible thing would be to allow people to take stuff if they leave a quid or something. When I lived in the UK my local centre had hundreds of monitors, computers, stereos etc. most of which I suspect were still in working order.

I saw a guy pull up at our local tip in a BMW X5 (black? yep, personal plate? yep)

He took a new looking PC out of the boot and left it in the household appliances bin. I happened to be dropping something there myself and gave it a quick look. Through the ventilation holes in the side of the case, I could see a lot of dust.

Dust => computer overheats => shuts down, reboots or does other weird things.

I therefore have to assume that this person threw away a perfectly good computer because it was dirty.

Absolutely mental, but 100% predictable in the insane world we now inhabit.

Surely the sensible thing would be to allow people to take stuff if they leave a quid or something. When I lived in the UK my local centre had hundreds of monitors, computers, stereos etc. most of which I suspect were still in working order.

Why leave a quid? If the aim is to encourage recycling and reduce the costs of recycling then somebody turning up and taking away another person's discard is saving the council time and money in dealing with the stuff. Win win surely?

Our country is going down the plug hole and this pair unlikely to be debt slaves so it makes sense to criminalise them so they are barred from emigrating to greener pastures.

FFS my wife got a grilling for daring a move to the USA for not having a bl00dy TV Licence at a property she no longer lived in at the time.

I'm seriously considering taking out a whopping loan and maxing out my credit card. In for a penny and all that.

Why leave a quid? If the aim is to encourage recycling and reduce the costs of recycling then somebody turning up and taking away another person's discard is saving the council time and money in dealing with the stuff. Win win surely?

I agree 100%, but I suppose the recycling centre claims ownership so want to be compensated for their "loss."

I'm amazed he could get a job with Gloucestershire, what with being white and all that.

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2006/02/14/33908/police-recruiting-policy-under-fire-over-racism.html

eight

Same thing happened to me when I applied to West Mercia Police in early 2000. I got a letter to say that my application had been unsuccessful with no reason given. Not long after the recruiter saw me mooching around Telford Town Centre, called over to me by name, smiled and asked when I was starting. Told her that I had failed and now looking bemused she said to me I was the only person on her watch to ever score 100% (PIRT, Fitness, interview etc etc) the very reason I stood out and why my name was remembered. Anyway, armed with this info I phoned HR for 'feedback' and the person on the other end of the phone said I was being rude (I wasn't) and ended the call. A few days later I got a letter from the slimey HR head barring me from any future recruitment campaigns for my 'rudeness'.

My only failing being an IC1 male.

Surely taking something away, which nobody else has a use for, is perfect recycling!

It's extremely silly, what with the amount of police activity expended on this "crime"! :huh:

Someone is making Millions out of these rubbish/recycling places.

The EU give Millions of pounds in grants to establish and get these places up and running - at the same time the Govt slapped a recycle levy (secretly) on everything you buy cos resellers esp electricals have to pay millions to a fund which is split up amongst recycle centers all over the UK.

Have you noticed councils reducing your taxes because of the additional money flooding in thru these grants and the money they are getting selling all the different highly valuable metals, glass. paper and 2nd user TVs computers sold on for 3rd World recycling by the container load.

It is hooooooooooooooge business and why the police went absolutely mad to protect it.

The reason it's illegal is because of the Benjy the Binman case a few years ago. He was a man who used to rummage through the bins outside celebrity solicitors' offices and sell interesting titbits to the press. Although he was doing nothing illegal, the powers that be didn't like it and at his trial the precedent was set that rubbish belongs to the council. So in terms of the law, this Gloucester man was 'stealing'; but the police response was utterly ridiculous.

A few years ago my late father went missing (he'd had a fall in the street and had been taken unconscious to hospital without any ID on him). The police wanted to send out a helicopter to look for him but could't because it was already in use (he was found eventually). I'd hate to think something similar could happen when these fools are out playing at policing.

Someone is making Millions out of these rubbish/recycling places.

The EU give Millions of pounds in grants to establish and get these places up and running - at the same time the Govt slapped a recycle levy (secretly) on everything you buy cos resellers esp electricals have to pay millions to a fund which is split up amongst recycle centers all over the UK.

Have you noticed councils reducing your taxes because of the additional money flooding in thru these grants and the money they are getting selling all the different highly valuable metals, glass. paper and 2nd user TVs computers sold on for 3rd World recycling by the container load.

It is hooooooooooooooge business and why the police went absolutely mad to protect it.

"It is hooooooooooooooge business racket and why the police went absolutely mad to protect it."

Corrected.

"It is hooooooooooooooge business racket and why the police went absolutely mad to protect it."

Corrected.

Possibly, but could it also just be bored coppers wanting a bit of excitement? In the days when PC Plod had nothing more than a bicycle and a truncheon he probably took things a bit more in perspective (with the greatest respect to officers who have had to tackle real criminals with only those things). If you train people to use helicopters and drive fast cars they will a. want to use them a lot and b. feel obliged to to justify their existence on the use-it-or-lose-it principle.

I'm reminded of the Father Ted episode where the very bored policeman brings in the helicopter for the first crime he's had to deal with for ages, the theft of a whistle.

Bit lacking in detail.

If I were going to try to piece together a likely scenario I would expect:

Police helicopter spots some people rummaging around in a recycling centre.

Helicopter reports back to base that there are some pikeys nicking metal from the recycling centre again.

Police send a riot squad as they don't fancy tackling them single handed.

Pikeys turn out to be an old couple from the local housing estate.

Police read them the riot act and let them go.. return to base feeling very foolish.

Practically says it in the statement if you interpret it slightly..

‘In the past, people pikeys stealing from tips have been responsible for other burglaries or thefts that have had a great impact on the community.

Bit lacking in detail.

If I were going to try to piece together a likely scenario I would expect:

Police helicopter spots some people rummaging around in a recycling centre.

Helicopter reports back to base that there are some pikeys nicking metal from the recycling centre again.

Police send a riot squad as they don't fancy tackling them single handed.

Pikeys turn out to be an old couple from the local housing estate.

Police read them the riot act and let them go.. return to base feeling very foolish.

Practically says it in the statement if you interpret it slightly..

Spot on Sir :D

Same thing happened to me when I applied to West Mercia Police in early 2000. I got a letter to say that my application had been unsuccessful with no reason given. Not long after the recruiter saw me mooching around Telford Town Centre, called over to me by name, smiled and asked when I was starting. Told her that I had failed and now looking bemused she said to me I was the only person on her watch to ever score 100% (PIRT, Fitness, interview etc etc) the very reason I stood out and why my name was remembered. Anyway, armed with this info I phoned HR for 'feedback' and the person on the other end of the phone said I was being rude (I wasn't) and ended the call. A few days later I got a letter from the slimey HR head barring me from any future recruitment campaigns for my 'rudeness'.

My only failing being an IC1 male.

Incredible.