House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dryrot

Beer Inflation

hi

Still doing the £10 per case, 2 for £16, 3 for £20.

But bottles-per-case down from 20 per cardboard case, to 18, then 15. Now 12!

grrr...

hi

grrr...

Surely you mean deflation?

They'll be a tipping point where as soon as one gets paid on payday, people will rush out to spend that money before that beer case of 12 becomes 8 or 6.

That process is historically called "Hyperinflation."

I only buy 24 packs of Lager now - still, they went up £1.50 last week for anything decent.

Only problem with this is my consumption has risen. :P:P

I don't know why more do not have a go at brewing their own....apparently a decent cider can be made from some shop bought apple juice, some brewers yeast and a campden tablet..... ;)

The stuff is still waaaaaay too cheap. We're a nation of pissheads and nothing but £10/pint will cure it.

Its genetic.

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2011/04/04/gene.involved.predisposition.alcohol.consumption.identified

Once the country is suitably Islamicised in 30-40 years time alcohol consumption will fall through the floor.

I have to say the pub landlord is screwed. Were now at the point where most pubs are past £3 a pint, too the low paid that is 2 pints for 1 hours work!

Oh I did that cider made from Lidl apple juice too sharp, second batch I used 1.5kg of squeezed apples with the juice much better (plus some bicarb of soda to reduce acidity ... dunno it it did anything).

Supermarket beer pricing is screwy! If there's ever a reason for children to make sure they do well at Maths in school its to work out which beer to buy from Tesco. There's about ten different sizes of Stella in Tesco. Buy it in 330ml bottles and it costs £3.54 per litre. Buy in it pint sized cans and its £1.92. Duty does not explain that price differential.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=stella

It takes me about twenty minutes to work out which multi-pack to buy at the supermarket. And then I have a similar experience buying nappies.

A good Maths GCSE question would involve working out if Timmy is better buying 2 multipacks of 275ml bottles at £16 or 1 multipack of 500ml cans at £11.

The stuff is still waaaaaay too cheap. We're a nation of pissheads and nothing but £10/pint will cure it.

I hope that's a wind-up.

I've noticed that as regards quantity and the bargain prices. It's been happening a lot with foodstuff. This is inflation - less for more. There is also a trend to weaken beer and lager.

With alcohol, there is also the Puritanical hysteria, that somehow we are all alcoholics intent of over-stretching the blessed NHS. I bet not one report or political decision will cause those making them to cut back. Heaven knows these interfering busybodies make you want to drink.

My own consumption is pretty stable, though I do look out for the bargains, which are harder to come by. Even Lidl who do a 500ml premium can at 75p is going up to 81p (+8%).

hi

grrr...

No great loss there, though. Don't buy it. It's not really Stella Artois. It's brewed under license in UK and we don't make great Lager. Great beers, yes, but all the best lagers are foreign. Stella Artois is just a name and seems to me to be a bit of a con. It's for the chavs at Christmas. The genuine Stella on the continent is a different beast altogether. But most of the good foreign lagers are now brewed under licence and you have to cast around to get genuine decent stuff. They have even got their grubby mits on Tiger beer. Check the (very) small print on the label. If it says brewed under licence in UK, (they don't want you to notice that) it is probably undrinkable and you will die of consumption or something quite nasty. Why do you think it is so cheap? It isn't very often, if ever, that you find the genuine, quality foreign lagers offered up cheap in large boxes. As you say...grrrr.

If you're buying crisps to go with your beer be careful of the trick Sainsbury's are running. Their own brand crisps stick out as the cheapest for a 6 pack by quite a way, it's only when you get them home you realise how much smaller the individual packs are (at least 20% smaller than usual). Sometimes you get a bit too focused on price. FWIW they are fairly tasty.

I pint of of lager and half a packet of crisps please.

Supermarket beer pricing is screwy! If there's ever a reason for children to make sure they do well at Maths in school its to work out which beer to buy from Tesco. There's about ten different sizes of Stella in Tesco. Buy it in 330ml bottles and it costs £3.54 per litre. Buy in it pint sized cans and its £1.92. Duty does not explain that price differential.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=stella

It takes me about twenty minutes to work out which multi-pack to buy at the supermarket. And then I have a similar experience buying nappies.

A good Maths GCSE question would involve working out if Timmy is better buying 2 multipacks of 275ml bottles at £16 or 1 multipack of 500ml cans at £11.

Tesco package, price and flog it like this for the very reason the average Brit is either too lazy or too thick tow work out the best price per container.

Oh and it looks nicer in bottles....... ;)

I hope that's a wind-up.

I've noticed that as regards quantity and the bargain prices. It's been happening a lot with foodstuff. This is inflation - less for more. There is also a trend to weaken beer and lager.

With alcohol, there is also the Puritanical hysteria, that somehow we are all alcoholics intent of over-stretching the blessed NHS. I bet not one report or political decision will cause those making them to cut back. Heaven knows these interfering busybodies make you want to drink.

My own consumption is pretty stable, though I do look out for the bargains, which are harder to come by. Even Lidl who do a 500ml premium can at 75p is going up to 81p (+8%).

Makes no odds the Government came for the smokers and now they are coming for the drinkers. The anti social message drinker is already being targeted but the media....

Erm, Stella has always been a bog-standard bland lager at a premium price. Primary exhibit in branding: you can fool some of the people ....

Tesco package, price and flog it like this for the very reason the average Brit is either too lazy or too thick tow work out the best price per container.

Oh and it looks nicer in bottles....... ;)

Not really, they dont keep that closer eye on their own prices, they have computer price systems that drop the price depending on what it is on sale for in another retailer, this is how you end up with some things much cheaper (i.e. if Tesco have an exclusive pack format it will be more expensive in general).

Pack costs are a massive thing as well, which do you think is cheaper to make a can or a glass bottle??

Must be cans

Not really, they dont keep that closer eye on their own prices, they have computer price systems that drop the price depending on what it is on sale for in another retailer, this is how you end up with some things much cheaper (i.e. if Tesco have an exclusive pack format it will be more expensive in general).

Pack costs are a massive thing as well, which do you think is cheaper to make a can or a glass bottle??

Well Cider has increased in price considerably, Henry Weston's vintage Reserve used to be around the £1.50 mark, now up to £1.99 in Tesco.

Fortunately, a visit to Homebargains sees me to 500ml bottles of Wychwood's Goliath for 99p a pop and Wychwood's Hobgobblin at £1.19 Not just one off offers either, these are a stable part of their stock.

Erm, Stella has always been a bog-standard bland lager at a premium price. Primary exhibit in branding: you can fool some of the people ....

Brewed in Magor, in south Wales.

The nappies are for you after you've drunk the beer?