House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreenWarwick

Irish Banned From Next Cricket World Cup

What do people think of the decision to limit the next world cup to test nations only, effectively banning the likes of ireland?

Associate nations will not now be alowed contest the next two world cups, even though this means Ireland (currently ranked tenth in the world) will be replaced by world no. 11 Zimbabwe.

Sounds like the big nations and their media interests have pulled a fst one. sad, as this will only hinder development of the game.

What do people think of the decision to limit the next world cup to test nations only, effectively banning the likes of ireland?

Associate nations will not now be alowed contest the next two world cups, even though this means Ireland (currently ranked tenth in the world) will be replaced by world no. 11 Zimbabwe.

Sounds like the big nations and their media interests have pulled a fst one. sad, as this will only hinder development of the game.

Shame if they do. I've heard the Irish's love of cricket described as "the love that dare not speak it's name".

They'll surely have some non-test teams through a qualifying comp?

Cricket seems to be run by idiots. After the most gripping test series ever thaytgripped the nation they sold out and took the next series off terresitial.

Used to go to about 15 games a year but have almost totally lost interest now.

With the exception of the ever-shit England, the minnows got roundly smashed in every game and made a mockery of the tournament.

The quarter-finalists were clearly the best 8 teams, yet it took over a month to work that out.

Just keep it to 8, make them play each other (like they used to) and then go to semis and then a final. Get it over with ion 3 weeks too.

There was a mention that the "minnows" will play each other in a pre-qualifier, and the best one or two will then qualify for the WC....

How does a country make oneself a 'test' nation ? Or is it some behind the toilets old school tie test - before you are able to join this hallowed group ?

I think the ICC are having a competition with the FA and UEFA to see who can be the most incompetent sports association.

Scottish Football Association. Gold medal winners.

How does a country make oneself a 'test' nation ? Or is it some behind the toilets old school tie test - before you are able to join this hallowed group ?

The ICC "decide" who should deem the title - I suppose they want a certain level of competitive test matches...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_cricket

Guest eight

Shame if they do. I've heard the Irish's love of cricket described as "the love that dare not speak it's name".

They'll surely have some non-test teams through a qualifying comp?

Cricket seems to be run by idiots. After the most gripping test series ever thaytgripped the nation they sold out and took the next series off terresitial.

Used to go to about 15 games a year but have almost totally lost interest now.

Give that man a medal. It's the same with home international football on Sky. They don't want me to see it, so why should I give a toss about the result?

eight

The ICC "decide" who should deem the title - I suppose they want a certain level of competitive test matches...

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Test_cricket

Nice - another closed shop sporting affair. Brilliant.

I heard they have stopped you being able to take in your own bevvy to games as well ? Totally ruins the day from someone I spoke to.

Isn't there a case for banning England from the football world cup on the same grounds? (underachievement I mean)

:D

Is that underachievement measured against a normal standard or against the insane delusions of your average England fan?

Nice - another closed shop sporting affair. Brilliant.

I heard they have stopped you being able to take in your own bevvy to games as well ? Totally ruins the day from someone I spoke to.

The football league used to be like this, up to around twenty years ago...Clubs were "elected" to join the football league from the Conference.....it was virtually a completely closed shop....I believe my club tried on around 30 occasions to get in, but couldn't...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Conference#Promotion_and_Relegation

The football league used to be like this, up to around twenty years ago...Clubs were "elected" to join the football league from the Conference.....it was virtually a completely closed shop....I believe my club tried on around 30 occasions to get in, but couldn't...

http://en.wikipedia...._and_Relegation

I refer you to my previous Gold medal for the SFA. This STILL exists in Scotland. There is no promotion or relegation to it / from it. Scandalous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/oliverbrett/2011/04/icc_leaves_ireland_out_in_the.html

Why am I not surprised? FIFA pt2

While Ireland are made to do without, Zimbabwe are guaranteed a 2015 World Cup spot despite not having played Test cricket since September 2006 and sitting one place below Ireland in ICC's own one-day rankings at 11th.

While they did beat Canada and Kenya efficiently enough in the World Cup, Zimbabwe remain a workmanlike side who at no stage worried any of the top four teams in their group.

When Zimbabwe met Ireland in the 2007 World Cup the teams tied, and the most recent meeting between them was a 20-run Irish victory. So, how can it be that Zimbabwe have a golden ticket for 2015 while Ireland do not even have the right to qualify?

The guarantee to the southern African nation, historically a staunch and important ally of India (and thus the Asian bloc) within the ICC boardroom, smacks of messy collusion...

Isn't there a case for banning England from the football world cup on the same grounds? (underachievement I mean)

:D

The world cup has qualifying rounds to eliminate the rubbish teams.

I propose a better idea. Let the minnows in the World Cup. If one of the top tier teams loses a group match to them, they're knocked out immediately.

So if Ireland beats England, England are on the next plane home and their group is reduced to 7. Every match would be worth playing for the top teams, and the minnows would have the chance to humiliate the big boys.

Now that's cricket!