House Price Crash Forum
Bearing Up

Where's Hometrack?

I thought Hometrack data was usually released on the last Monday in the month. Any news?

Probably taking more time to console all those agents as they ring around :lol:

Another small drop is most likely.

Something's up. The press releases have the same URL format with just a sequential number change at the end. Last month's were:

http://www.hometrack.co.uk/index.cfm?fusea...item&newsid=112

and

http://www.hometrack.co.uk/index.cfm?fusea...item&newsid=113

So you would expect this month's to be:

http://www.hometrack.co.uk/index.cfm?fusea...item&newsid=114

Either they are just late or the VI's have decided to scrap the only HP survey that's currently telling things as they are, i.e. YOY is negative and falling.

I thought Hometrack data was usually released on the last Monday in the month. Any news?

Nah, they're always last to put out the survey. Scamifax and Nationshite first.

Refer Fagin - 'Patience, my dear boy'

Nah, they're always last to put out the survey. Scamifax and Nationshite first.

Refer Fagin - 'Patience, my dear boy'

On the contrary, they are nearly always the first - the last Monday in the month is their usual day. But they are probably just late.

You usually see reports in the press first. Then they post their report on their web site a few days later. I am not expecting to see their report until sometime next week.

It should be imminent. I have an account on their website for some reports I have bought (for possible purchase of property in my area)

Would it be possible to post one of these reports? I would like to know if they are useful or not.

Jas

Do I small a rat? I've never known reporting of Hometrack to be late. In fact you often get the press reports seeping through during the weekend before. How convenient that on the day GB says we've survived a house price bubble that there isn't also news saying well actually YOY house prices are down 4%, or whatever it ends up being.

On the contrary, they are nearly always the first - the last Monday in the month is their usual day. But they are probably just late.

Yes you are right there is nothing to worry about here, so please move along. There has just been a slight hiccup with a couple of figures or a printer jam at the publishers. Nothing for you to worry about. Just leave it to the professionals. They know what they are talking about and have your best interests at heart... or something. :unsure:

Something's up. The press releases have the same URL format with just a sequential number change at the end. Last month's were:

http://www.hometrack.co.uk/index.cfm?fusea...item&newsid=112

and

http://www.hometrack.co.uk/index.cfm?fusea...item&newsid=113

So you would expect this month's to be:

http://www.hometrack.co.uk/index.cfm?fusea...item&newsid=114

Either they are just late or the VI's have decided to scrap the only HP survey that's currently telling things as they are, i.e. YOY is negative and falling.

Excellent example of URL guessing, web masters often let things slip this way!

Don't fret it will be out soon.

I spoke to Phil just the other day, he's just putting the finishing touches to it. :blink::blink::blink:

What has happened to HPC recently?

Usually around this time we would be trying to guess what inane comment Wrigly would be making about the housing market.

Far more fun than trying to figure out when the next report is due.

We're becoming jaded I fear.

Edited by BandWagon

What has happened to HPC recently?

Usually around this time we would be trying to guess what inane comment Wrigly would be making about the housing market.

Far more fun than trying to figure out when the next report is due.

We're becoming jaded I fear.

Okay here's my 2.95 cents worth.

Wrigly is going to say,

This month house prices have bounced back better than a cheque from a Scoucer, the flood of new enqires have made the US floods look like a pi$$ in a well.

Actually, the Hometrack national price report seems to have been released on Mondays for the last several months. If you work backwards through the sequential numbers at the end of the URL you will see that the national report is always embargoed until a certain date (usually the last Monday). Eg they can issue the press releases before they go home for the weekend and know that they will go public on the Monday (although a few Sunday papers sometimes quietly refer to them a day in advance of the embargo date).

The point here is that this one has been (I would suggest, based on the alpari-idc link below) been embargoed until late Tuesday evening. Whoever smelt a rat was right - lets delay the yoy negative news until AFTER Tony and Gordon have made their big speeches at the Labour Party conference and the opportunity for yesterday and today's tv/radio interviews with them to raise the subject have passed!

Yes I suppose so - I am not usually a conspiracy fan (I prefer the "****-up is more likely than conspiracy" argument) but I had to ask the question given the coincidence.

We could always test it! Given the make up of this board does anyone on HPC work for a media/financial organisation that may have had the Hometrack press release already, subject to the embargo? If so can they indicate that it exists (without breaking the embargo on revealing its contents)?

Just rang Hometrack and asked where report was. Not the most convincing answer but apparently the data has only been collated in the last few days and "should" be published by the end of the week. Perhaps a ****-up not a conspiracy then (again!).

the hometrack report is compiled from information supplied by estate agents. During a boom they are more than happy to show how bouyant the market is, and probably have more time to submit the data because they don't have to work so hard.

during a depressed market they have to work a lot harder and are probably less likely to 'boast' about the sales figures.

there have also been reports that a lot of estate agents are closing down - this could cause problems for Hometrack if they need to find alternative estate agents in the same area.

I think they will also try to choose a busy news day to release the information, hoping it will get buried under other news.