House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

1St Class Stamps Rise 12%

I don't think we had a thread on this yesterday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12937335

You could have bought £100,000 of stamps, and you could have made £12,000 in a day!

That is an interesting point, but is it physically possible? I doubt the local Post Office would hold £100,000s worth of stamps, is it possible to trade stamps in a non tangible form?

The post office doesn't like to do that though. Back in the 90s if you had to pay somebody for £10.50 instead of having a £10 and a 50 postal order you'd buy a £10 postal order and stick a couple of 1st class (25p) stamps inside it and the post master at the other end would be OK to change them for cash.

If you suddenly go to Makro or Costco and buy yourself £100K of stamps a post office will refuse to change them for cash.....

Incidentally did anybody notice that postage now has VAT on it? Stamps (specifically stamps) have no VAT on them but everything else postal wise now has VAT added to it.

Another sign of deflation, hold on to your paper money folks!

That is an interesting point, but is it physically possible? I doubt the local Post Office would hold £100,000s worth of stamps, is it possible to trade stamps in a non tangible form?

It is, as said Cosco do 1000 packs of stamps used to be about £400ish quid. You just need to buy about 218 packs of them.

It is, as said Cosco do 1000 packs of stamps used to be about £400ish quid. You just need to buy about 218 packs of them.

I have been meaning to buy some for months and haven't got round to it.

;-/

I wasn't going to buy that many though.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1;jsessionid=AP3KQH2G4IMLWFB2IGVURWQUHRA0UQ2K?catId=54000701&mediaId=79500742

Well you make 7% anyway from the Royal Mail.

Perhaps one could make a living going around old peoples homes and bungalows selling door to door books of stamps?

I reckon going door to door selling all sorts of bits of stuff would be a great business line to get into. All those old people who don't get out very often - and there's an increasing number... and they tend to live in clusters.

You'd need a van of course... and to be able to not chat too long.

Yes you could sell pens, cards, stamps, envelopes and offer to post them also.

3166886.jpg

You could target resiential homes, nursing homes, retirement flats etc. With fewer bus services, and the post office closures, this could be something to have a go at.

Edited by Money Spinner

You could target resiential homes, nursing homes, retirement flats etc. With fewer bus services, and the post office closures, this could be something to have a go at.

Where have you been? These things ALREADY exist. Usually a bloke leaves a box of some kind containing all sorts of things stamps, dental tabs etc and leaves an honour box somewhere in the reception area.

Everywhere has their own gaps in the market, it's upto one to look for it and exploit it. It's worth doing the market research first before buying all the stock first of course!

Leaving a box, can be improved upon by actually visiting each resident and giving your sales pitch. It can't hurt to try.

What about new retirement flats? These are springing up all over the place as more grow older and live longer, and live further away from relatives. The great shoe once said it - "Just do it" (Nike).

Edited by Money Spinner

Where have you been? These things ALREADY exist. Usually a bloke leaves a box of some kind containing all sorts of things stamps, dental tabs etc and leaves an honour box somewhere in the reception area.

Do they?

It was suggested to a local old persons charity that they visit OAP homes with rails of clothing - currently OAP homes get visited by shockingly expensive "shops" that charge £35 for a nylon cardi.

The charity didn't think it was in their remit - even though it would be raising money and helping old people at the same time.

Everywhere has their own gaps in the market, it's upto one to look for it and exploit it. It's worth doing the market research first before buying all the stock first of course!

Leaving a box, can be improved upon by actually visiting each resident and giving your sales pitch. It can't hurt to try.

What about new retirement flats? These are springing up all over the place as more grow older and live longer, and live further away from relatives. The great shoe once said it - "Just do it" (Nike).

...there is lots you can do......dog walking, pet sitting, make-up selling, shopping, gardening, reading.....everything you can think of for those that can't get out or don't own a computer.....trust will be the main barrier. ;)

I reckon going door to door selling all sorts of bits of stuff would be a great business line to get into. All those old people who don't get out very often - and there's an increasing number... and they tend to live in clusters.

You'd need a van of course... and to be able to not chat too long.

i have been thinking about this lately, my grandparents used to live in the "mountain" and once a week or so a van with all sorts of essentials (food and co) would drive round all the villages scattered around the mountain. Still today you have a truck doing the round coming regularly to sell tools and work clothes to farmers etc.

I know that you can get to shop online and have it delivered but you can't beat having the shop come to you (if you have reduced mobility for example) and pick what you want. There certainly would be a good business model dispatching a few vans to remote locations from depots.

i have been thinking about this lately, my grandparents used to live in the "mountain" and once a week or so a van with all sorts of essentials (food and co) would drive round all the villages scattered around the mountain. Still today you have a truck doing the round coming regularly to sell tools and work clothes to farmers etc.

I know that you can get to shop online and have it delivered but you can't beat having the shop come to you (if you have reduced mobility for example) and pick what you want. There certainly would be a good business model dispatching a few vans to remote locations from depots.

I have seen people in the supermarkets with a few shopping lists, they must be shopping for more than one person. ;)

I now do all my invoicing and quoting via email using automatically created PDFs. I probably send about 3 items through the post a year.

F*ck em.

The post office doesn't like to do that though. Back in the 90s if you had to pay somebody for £10.50 instead of having a £10 and a 50 postal order you'd buy a £10 postal order and stick a couple of 1st class (25p) stamps inside it and the post master at the other end would be OK to change them for cash.

If you suddenly go to Makro or Costco and buy yourself £100K of stamps a post office will refuse to change them for cash.....

Incidentally did anybody notice that postage now has VAT on it? Stamps (specifically stamps) have no VAT on them but everything else postal wise now has VAT added to it.

"Postage and Packing" has had VAT added to it for as long as I have been trading (almost 30 years)

tim

"Postage and Packing" has had VAT added to it for as long as I have been trading (almost 30 years)

tim

Yup but VAT has spread to other areas the post office offers services. Before special delivery stuff had no VAT on it, it does now. These used to be exempt but no more since Royal mail lost a case in 2009.

You could have bought £100,000 of stamps, and you could have made £12,000 in a day!

See my new book, "How to profit from Inflation Deflation".

It's deflation dammit, deflation!

(Sorry, just keep making that mistake. Sent the copy editor mad.)

I bought a book of 1st' on the behalf of somebody else, they did want two, but the shop had only one left. This was on the day of the increase.

I have a market, a consistent one, could have made a quick bob. I've always been quite interested in stamp collectors and have put stamps aside myself even, but I didn't collate them into organised sheets Perhaps I will now. Demurrage and inflation combined is looking good.

and the reason for the 12% increase is... 'modernisation' the Post Office have used that one liner before and unless they are doing R&D on some kind of teleporting device then more likely it'll be efficiency savings aka job cuts.

I can't see how the system can be any more evolved that in is already.

Post Boxes

Royal Mail Vans

Sorting Depots

and posties

What else can they pull out of the hat ???

Well clearly its a case of which printer prints the fastest.

The BOE is printing faster than Royal Mail can with it's books-of-stamps printing machine. More cash chasing fewer stamps :lol:

Edited by Money Spinner