House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

Yes! To Fairer Votes - Scam Letters - They Are Not From Your Local Council.

As we usually have postal votes, we've just received our "Application to vote in the referendum by post" forms for the AV referendum from the "Electoral Registration Services" department of our local city council.

Attached to the application form (tear-off page) is an advertising letter urging us to vote yes :blink:.

Ealing Council had billboards put up showing pictures of groups of people with a £22,000 price tag on their heads. The slogan was "How much are you worth?" with an explanation that they will receive up to £22,000 for each person who fills in the census in the borough...

which constituency are you in BB?

(I think there is a powerful understated agenda from the Mandelson-Blair-Clegg-Cameron power axis to get this referendum passed - I actually agree with the agenda, not sure I agree with the methods employed - it is very telling that Cameron won't get involved in the No campaign; I reckon this is because he is a secret 'Yes' supporter but cannot admit to it for fear of (1) upsetting the core tory party and (2) jeopardising its chances of being voted in by the liberal/left leaning camp)

I got mine last night. It took me a minute to work out what was going on, I thought you had a choice?!

Endorsed by lots of "celebs".

Brain washing. :ph34r:

That's the one, I thought it was some sort of bizarre junk mail at first.

I got mine last night. It took me a minute to work out what was going on, I thought you had a choice?!

Endorsed by lots of "celebs".

Brain washing. :ph34r:

This is literature produced by the campaign for a 'yes' vote. It is totally fair and above board. The 'no' campaign just hasn't yet got running. Most of the establishment will be voting 'no' by the way.

This is literature produced by the campaign for a 'yes' vote. It is totally fair and above board. The 'no' campaign just hasn't yet got running. Most of the establishment will be voting 'no' by the way.

the 'No' campaign appear to be very disorganised

But should local councils be allowed to send out this sort of thing with your voting documents? I think not!

My immediate reaction is to do the opposite and vote no out of sheer bloody mindedness, but I will investigate further and vote whichever way is most likely to disadvantage Labour.

For the record, my local council is Conservative controlled.

My immediate reaction is to do the opposite and vote no out of sheer bloody mindedness, but I will investigate further and vote whichever way is most likely to disadvantage Labour.

I think AV would equally disadvantage Labour and conservative parties in their present form; in that it will disadvantage labour, I am for it!

I think AV would equally disadvantage Labour and conservative parties in their present form; in that it will disadvantage labour, I am for it!

If you consider yourself a natural conservative, consider the 2005 election - Labour got a good working majority on 36% of those who bothered to vote (22% of electorate, <20% of population).

If you consider yourself a leftie such as myself, consider 1983.. or 1987.. or 1992..

The only people who should be pro-AV are good are dedicated Tory or Labour party people who only care about getting 'their turn'.

If you consider yourself a natural conservative, consider the 2005 election - Labour got a good working majority on 36% of those who bothered to vote (22% of electorate, <20% of population).

If you consider yourself a leftie such as myself, consider 1983.. or 1987.. or 1992..

The only people who should be pro-AV are good are dedicated Tory or Labour party people who only care about getting 'their turn'.

I am loyal to ideals (which turn out to be the same between committed lefties and righties, who happen to have reached different conclusions, given similar concerns)

but I try to avoid being tribal for the sake of it, so yes I agree with you

I'd like to see an end to representative democracy where we vote for someone, we have the technology now to all take part and vote on how this country is run on a daily basis if we wanted to.

Just think how much money we would save by getting rid of MP's!

No need for MP's troughing and the lobby industry would change as it tried to convince the public (through advertising) instead of concentrating on a select few over lunch.

....That could work, I'm all for doing things differently if it would improve things and not cost/waste so much.....anyway the way things are at the moment we have very little real choice, what they say they will do before an election they either don't do it or do something else after it....vote for one thing but then get another. ;)

1 Cameron spoke out strongly against AV in Swansea.

2 Will it make any real difference to have the odd BNP otr UKIP MP in the house?...no.

kind of supports my view that he is avoiding the issue

2 Will it make any real difference to have the odd BNP otr UKIP MP in the house?...no.

agreed

In FPTP it's already possible to have a coalition of the potential losers to beat a minority winner. What examples of this are there in practice?

I'd like to see an end to representative democracy where we vote for someone, we have the technology now to all take part and vote on how this country is run on a daily basis if we wanted to.

terrible idea IMO - all sorts of stupid policies would be implemented (yes, even more stupid than the ones done by MPs IMO)

I detest the BNP and UKIP. But if we accept the Westminster parliament and the party system, I think it would actually be healthy to have token BNP/UKIP MPs in parliament. Just as it's healthy to have the hard-of-thinking Caroline Lucas there (she's more of a shame than the xenophobes, because an intelligent green could be a real asset).

Not that AV will put them there. AV just puts the post into "first past the post". But it does mean we'll get a better picture of the electorate's wishes, because tactical voting for someone you don't want becomes redundant.

If voters are always loyal to one candidate and detest all the others, then there's an argument for the current/old system. As soon as you admit that a voter's wishes might be more complex, it becomes indefensible.

I'm surprised they didn't save a bit more time and just tick the box for you.

(Or should that be 'number'?)

Yes, they could automatically place your vote for you, based on what is best for you from the information stored on the various government data bases :unsure:.

I had been firmly in favour of reform for years. This was largely due to my belief that the left of centre voters have outnumbered the Tories for decades but have not had a proportionate share of time in government. I wrongly presumed that the Libs, Labs, Greens and any other new left leaning party would club together and redress the balance.

The last election was a wake up call for me and I quickly switched to the "No" camp.

That was a knee jerk reaction and like most of those it was ill thought out.

Having read a considerable number of articles, blogs and postings to this forum I am now firmly back in the "Yes" camp.

The main reason?

In the end it all boils down to looking at who's for it and who's against. They all have good points to make but nearly all the people that I would normally agree with are in favour. More telling is that only about half the people that I don't see eye to eye with are against it.

terrible idea IMO - all sorts of stupid policies would be implemented (yes, even more stupid than the ones done by MPs IMO)

It all boils down to corruption, is it easier to corrupt 600 people or 60 million?

Quite frankly given the laws passed, the wars fought, the taxes in place, the comedic Expenses that fck all has been done about and is allowed to continue without a whimper and the economic state of the UK i find it remarkable that anyone would trumpet representative democracy over some sort of Direct Democracy, no wonder the UK is so fcked if you consistently lubricate yourself and wear a flashing light above your ringpiece.

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Like what stupid policies?

I

well what if they all vote to have no cuts because so many people depend on public sector jobs? Many people don't even understand the difference between debt and deficit - should such people really have a say in the countries economic policy. As far as I can tell all 3 major parties would make major cuts (despite labours moaning - they don't deny they would not), but joe average perhaps does not agree.