House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

No I Don't Want To Use The Self-Service Check Out

Twice over the weekend I was asked if I wanted to use the self-service check out, and twice I said NO.

I appreciate the positive in taking control, but really I'm not for adding to a companies profits by doing their work FOR them.

They're happy with leaving me to bag my own items, they want me to swipe 'em too! Maybe they'd like me to mop the floor on my way out?

But even worse than that, they're actively putting people out work. Not everyone can be a Candy brother(thank god). Some people rely on those basic jobs.

So Sainsburys and WH SMith can both get stuffed, and swipe my damn purchases themselves.

/rant :rolleyes:

Twice over the weekend I was asked if I wanted to use the self-service check out, and twice I said NO.

I appreciate the positive in taking control, but really I'm not for adding to a companies profits by doing their work FOR them.

They're happy with leaving me to bag my own items, they want me to swipe 'em too! Maybe they'd like me to mop the floor on my way out?

But even worse than that, they're actively putting people out work. Not everyone can be a Candy brother(thank god). Some people rely on those basic jobs.

So Sainsburys and WH SMith can both get stuffed, and swipe my damn purchases themselves.

I don't like the self-service tills as there is always something that needs a supervisor to fix or authorize (eg booze). Plus you get those awful loud messages "unauthorized item!!!". So I too refuse to use them. I hadn't thought of your point, but you're right.

I may start making sure I enter the shop in muddy boots. Force them to pay more on cleaners! ;)

There are places that you can find tesco and sainsbury mistakes where an iten that should be £3 scans as say 10p. You have to use the self scan to get a trolly full of those deals through because the till monkeys generally stop it and call de management.

I agree though, unless there are large que's and I have few items then I dont actively help them increase profit and reduce staff. I do always moan about them needing more tills open though ;)

There's a real easy way to defraud the supermarkets using those self service checkouts.

I would love to give it a go, but I'm too chicken.

I think the chances of getting caught are pretty slim, and it would be easy to destroy the evidence. You could probably walk away with 50 quid of stuff every time.

But what about those very clever people putting all their effort into RFI tags that will enable us to walk through the checkouts without it being necessary for anyone to swipe anything. And those working on the contactless debit/credit cards that will automatically be charged with the value of our purchases.

Surely you don't want to put them out of work.

Apart from anything else - my anecdotal experience is that a "normal" checkout with a Q of 2 people ahead will still process me quicker than if I have direct access to a self-service checkout.

So slower, and more effort on my part, and more profit for Tesco?

Thanks, but I'm not that stupid.

I truly despise that "unexpected item" thing. Just yesterday the checkout said it to me. It was a supermarket that sells baked beans, it was a tin of baked beans, I had just scanned it, there was a beep and the words "BAKED BEANS" appeared on the screen. So how can a tin of baked beans be unexpected? Surely, under the circumstances, it was the most absolutely predictable item that there could possibly be in the bagging area!

The jobs will go anyway - the only way to make a difference is avoid the supemarkets altogether.

UNEXPECTED LUDDITE IN THE BAGGING AREA

I'm not a luddite I just don't trust Sainsbury's self service tills given the flaws in the applying of discounts in their checkout process.

I quite like them - it would be nice to think that the price of everything in the shop reduces as the staffing overheads are cut. Nice, but untrue I suspect.

What bugs me most about shops is reward/membership schemes.

Do you have a membership card? I constantly get asked when paying for stuff.

No

Would you like one?

No -My wallet cannot support 300 different reward cards, besides, I would like to buy stuff for as cheap as possible without a layer of scheme administration cost whereby you pretend I get something back for my loyalty to your store when in reality, everything is slightly more expensive to cover the admin cost. You're like the government taxing people and giving it back, expecting me to be grateful. Ooooh 10,000 loyalty points you say? what can I get for that?

Half a turnip.

Shove it then.

Went to HSBC last week to put a cheque in.

In the Oldham branch they have two cashier desks with only ever one cashier one. And about five "floaters" who rush round the lobby asking you if you want to use a machine.

I refused politely the first time. Filled in my slip (same as if I had to to use the machine) and queued.

Three times I was asked if I wanted to use a machine - as where the other people in the queue behind me. (There was some geezer putting coins into his account so she was taking a while to do it)

The third monster floater who came up and asked said "it's easy" - so I handed her my cheque and said "you do it then" ... Oh well apparently she's not allowed to do it for me, I've got to do it.

So I pointed out I'd much rather have the cashier stamp it for me and get a little bit of human interaction. The floater mooched off at that point muttering something about "I'm human" as she pounced on another victim asking if they'd like to use the machine.

I don't want to do the cashier's job. If I had I would have left school at 18 and gone to work for the bank. I don't want to use a machine that takes away the cashier - I quite like having a cashier there to stamp the stubb and give it me back.

Once we've all been trained to use the machines the cashier will go and will this make my bank better? Will it work better for me? Probably not.

If they didn't have the floaters they could have someone else on the counter and reduce the queues massively.

I was interested to see how many people also refused to use the machines.

We also visited the post office too and found a "floater" there - but she was directing people to tills - and they have a separate one from the main lot for people who just want to post a letter! Fantastic! I'm sure they don't need a human to do that job though - they could just put a sign up "just want a letter posting this way --->"

Mind you, if they hadn't put the price up in such a complicated way then that'd probably be even easier to do.

I don't like the self-service tills as there is always something that needs a supervisor to fix or authorize (eg booze). Plus you get those awful loud messages "unauthorized item!!!". So I too refuse to use them. I hadn't thought of your point, but you're right.

I may start making sure I enter the shop in muddy boots. Force them to pay more on cleaners! ;)

Self-service is alright if you've only got a few items. If you've got a basket full forget it. And if there are any special offers amongst your shopping your better going to a check out. I've had instances when 2 for 1 offers don't get knocked off and had to trail up to customer services post payment. Needless to say if you've got 'help' from a toddler it is also a non-starter. UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA!

Personally I prefer the check-out.

A good answer is: "No, they wouldn't have me." The younger ones are too puzzled to pursue it further; the older ones get the joke and enjoy a rare moment of happiness.

...No I tell them, I'm sweet enough....some get it and smile. ;)

...No I tell them, I'm sweet enough....some get it and smile. ;)

They work a treat.Always forget to scan the corn fed free range chicken breasts at seven quid a pop. ;)

Next time anyone gets asked if they want to go to self service, just say "No I'd rather not use automation but try to create NEW jobs for your company and the UK Economy"

You could also add in a very loud voice so the rest of the queue can hear, "how about you putting your multiskilled training to good use and get behind the counter to serve us instead of making us queue up here wasting our time?" :D

Do you think I have a quiet voice lol?

My OH came out with the quip about she could be serving people.

I quite like the word "floater" for them - it's got a really nasty connotation. :)

There are places that you can find tesco and sainsbury mistakes where an iten that should be £3 scans as say 10p. You have to use the self scan to get a trolly full of those deals through because the till monkeys generally stop it and call de management.

I've never had that happen, but I have had it happen in reverse: an item that is discounted on the shelves is not recognised as such by the checkout. If you then call a human to correct the error, they look at you as if you're a tight git, people in the queue behind you tut etc. etc. This isn't just restricted to self-serves, though: there's a DIY shop near where my mother lives that is infamous for putting one price on the shelf sticker and then attempting to charge another, much higher one when you get to the checkout.

But what about those very clever people putting all their effort into RFI tags that will enable us to walk through the checkouts without it being necessary for anyone to swipe anything.

How would that work with loose produce? Presumably you'd still have to weigh that and type in what it is.

Needless to say if you've got 'help' from a toddler it is also a non-starter.

Again, that's not just a self-serve issue. Yummy mummies who believe that having their little ones unload the trolley onto the conveyor belt while an ever larger queue accumulates behind them is just as much as a curse. I'd really, really love a 'child free' time, say after 7pm on one weekday evening each week, in which no under-21s are admitted. It would make shopping so much less stressful.

I'm afraid to say I'm always drawn to the self service tills wherever I go (even used the post office one last week) because I find so many people infuriatingly slow and awkward. Better stress levels to do it myself and surprisingly, unexpected item... bothers me far less than some till-jockey taking their time.

How would that work with loose produce?

Bye bye loose produce. Most stuff is avaialable pre-pack as well as loose nowadays, not a big leap of faith to lose the loose produce completely in aid of convenience. Whose convenience, I'm not sure.

C'mon I thought you were smarter than that :D

parking in the child and parent spaces

Their daughter drove them there so what makes you think they don't have legal use of the child and parent spaces?

;-)

I use these often as nearly every time, due to unexpected items or me placing the items initially in the wrong place, I am able to shoplift most of my basket.

Ah ! A man after my own heart. Fruit and veg goes through,wine,poultry and high value items go the pretty way.

My wife and I actually prefer the self service till, as long as there is a conveyor belt. I unload the trolley, scan the items, and send them down to my wife in the order I know she would like to pack them, and at a speed she can cope with easily. If you use a manned till you find that the assistant usually scans items at great speed causing a huge log jam of stuff in the packing area that you have to sift through in order to pack sensibly, all the time aware of a glowering crowd of people in the queue behind you.

With a self service till the glowering crowd is absent, because they are all at the manned tills, glowering at the people there.

The self service tills without a conveyor belt are evil contraptions, designed to drive you insane with constant announcements about illegal items, etc. Avoid them like the plague.

The people who irritate me most are the ones that insist on using the conveyor belt for a handful of items when we have a trolley load. We deal with this by glowering at them .

I use these often as nearly every time, due to unexpected items or me placing the items initially in the wrong place, I am able to shoplift most of my basket.

Richard Madeley, is that you?

Doh! Do I really have to re-edit to read 'toddler and parent spaces'?

Sometimes one of them even needs help walking, or needs pushing in a wheeled carriage.