House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Sky Sports And Football League Agree £195M Deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12965536

The Football League has signed a three-year deal with Sky Sports, giving the broadcaster exclusive rights to show live matches from the 2012-13 season.

The deal, worth £195m, marks a drop from the current £264m agreement with Sky and the BBC.

Football League chairman Greg Clarke said it had been a challenging climate to negotiate in.

The BBC said that it had been unable to make a competitive bid for live broadcast rights.

Isn't this about a 26% drop in value? It would appear that the football league don't see a recovery coming. If they did they might have held out a bit longer to get a better deal.

Although to be honest the standard of football at this level is pretty dire.

Isn't this about a 26% drop in value? It would appear that the football league don't see a recovery coming. If they did they might have held out a bit longer to get a better deal.

Untrue

Championship football is more entertaining than Premiership - I support a yo yo club and have witnessed both

Untrue

Championship football is more entertaining than Premiership - I support a yo yo club and have witnessed both

Having watched plenty of Championship and League 1 football over the past couple of years for me the standard has been hoofball of the worst order.

Having watched plenty of Championship and League 1 football over the past couple of years for me the standard has been hoofball of the worst order.

having watched the prem and the championship ican say that they both have their fair share of shite.

i think crunch champ matches are better than the prem counterparts though.

disagree much rather watch say the likes of Forest Leeds Norwich Leicester Hull Burnley etc than the same old overpaid fowl mouthed vermin we have to watch virtually every week at stupid KO times stupid prices and bow to the Sky TV masters who call the shots

I think it is a drop because who else was bidding?

The BBC are talking about cutting Blue Peter - they don't have the cash to spend on the Football league. ITV doesn't have it as I don't think it made much money from advertising when it had it before.

So that basically left Sky as the sole bidder. You know, a bit like when you sell a house but only one person is interested in buying. :blink:

Perhaps the question should be why did Sky pay so much?

The BBC are talking about cutting Blue Peter - they don't have the cash to spend on the Football league. ITV doesn't have it as I don't think it made much money from advertising when it had it before.

So that basically left Sky as the sole bidder. You know, a bit like when you sell a house but only one person is interested in buying. :blink:

ESPN?

They are short on coverage unless you are a lover of European leagues or late night American Sports.

This reduction will be enough to send a few clubs under that were probably already on the brink anyway.

Because it would bring football down like a house of cards perchance...

disagree much rather watch say the likes of Forest Leeds Norwich Leicester Hull Burnley etc than the same old overpaid fowl mouthed vermin we have to watch virtually every week at stupid KO times stupid prices and bow to the Sky TV masters who call the shots

Agree 100%.As a Norwich supporter I have seen five home games,three wins one draw and one defeat and the entertainment has been first rate.I'm soort of half hoping that we don't go up as the Premiership is far less exciting.

Agree 100%.As a Norwich supporter I have seen five home games,three wins one draw and one defeat and the entertainment has been first rate.I'm soort of half hoping that we don't go up as the Premiership is far less exciting.

.....out of interest..whats the average price of an adult ticket at Norwich?

Deflation it is then ;).

mmm yes, if only, adult ticket to watch my team struggling at the bottom of League 1 is £18. All that money to stand in the cold & rain for 2 hrs watching some crap football.

The Americans have it right, their sports games have so many distractions it almost doesn't matter what sport is being played. And, you can drink as they aren't thugs.

Forest fan here. 100% agree with the sentiment.

Also, I like the traditional 3 o'clock kick off on a saturday afternoon. Next season, I wouldnt be too disappointed on a personal level if I dont have to feck about getting away from work early so I can do the 130 mile round trip to get to the 'big Monday night Match' at the City Ground to watch a game against the likes of Wigan, Blackburn et al.

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

.....out of interest..whats the average price of an adult ticket at Norwich?

Tickets £25/£28. Of course a season ticket holder gets a discount,I think it works out about £20 a match but as I can only get to evening games I just go as and when I can.It's a friendly league too and I often find myself in conversation with away supporters walking to the ground,that's quite nice.

Tickets £25/£28. Of course a season ticket holder gets a discount,I think it works out about £20 a match but as I can only get to evening games I just go as and when I can.It's a friendly league too and I often find myself in conversation with away supporters walking to the ground,that's quite nice.

My season ticket at Crewe Alex works out about £12 per game.

Since we won 8-1 last saturday that works out at £1.30 per goal. Bargain!

edit: kudos to the Cheltenham fans for joining in with the chants of "we want ten"

Edited by Lambie

My league one club charge £21 quid for an adult ticket bought on matchday....bloody bonkers...I haven't gone for over two years...I listen to it on the radio instead...

My league one club charge £21 quid for an adult ticket bought on matchday....bloody bonkers...I haven't gone for over two years...I listen to it on the radio instead...

I watch the 2 minute highlights on the beeb website, cuts out the 95% crap football.