House Price Crash Forum
FTBagain

Uk Manufacturing - Doomed?

A good friend of mine works for Remploy, the charity that helps find work for disabled people. One of the things it does is manufacture wheelchairs. A kind of self help approach if you like. One thing you should remember is that disabled tend to be at the cheaper end of the UK labour market so Remploy should be reasonably placed to compete.

Well a couple of weeks ago a Chinese manufacture offered to produce the wheelchairs to the same specification and standard of finish for less than Remploy could buy the raw materials in the UK!!!!

Competition? What competition? For competition to exist at all the underdog as got to have a chance of staying in the game!

A good friend of mine works for Remploy, the charity that helps find work for disabled people. One of the things it does is manufacture wheelchairs. A kind of self help approach if you like. One thing you should remember is that disabled tend to be at the cheaper end of the UK labour market so Remploy should be reasonably placed to compete.

Well a couple of weeks ago a Chinese manufacture offered to produce the wheelchairs to the same specification and standard of finish for less than Remploy could buy the raw materials in the UK!!!!

Competition? What competition? For competition to exist at all the underdog as got to have a chance of staying in the game!

Why we don't impose import controls is beyond me? The Chinese Yuan is being artificially held down by their government and labour laws are non existent yet we allow them to pump their goods into Europe destroying companies who have to abide by the rules.

Ultimately, raw materials (especially high value ones) should not vary significantly in different parts of the world. For the best products and latest technologies, the labour cost is less important than the quality of the labour. For example, a skilled team of engineers can reduce the man days to build a car. A skilled chemist can develop valuable new products.

We can compete with the Chinese but the government have got to stop crushing enterpreneurs. The burden of red tape and taxes has become a huge problem. The obsession with bulk low quality degrees is another problem. We need many more science graduates of high calibre.

The burden of red tape and taxes has become a huge problem.

Red tape is the source of all evil (and very little good )

You can protect the worker at the cost of destroying the jobs

Minimum wage is another problem that we have in this country without going into the cost of social security

All these helps to the people are killing the country –the end is in sight (no jobs/ no money / and no hope)

Why we don't impose import controls is beyond me? The Chinese Yuan is being artificially held down by their government and labour laws are non existent yet we allow them to pump their goods into Europe destroying companies who have to abide by the rules.

The imposition of import controls is the very least likely way to solve this 'problem' which is in fact an opportunity since it reduces costs in the economy. The key is to ensure that the economy is flexible enough to redeploy the capacity freed up from making wheelchairs to do something else more productive instead.

Doesn't work in practicality though Trainbuilder.

Because the regulation is applied to most everything we are less competitive in all the other markets as well.

Your economic presumption relies on the fact that restrictions are only applicable in one product or factor.

do something else more productive instead.

A customer of mine has done something more productive and spent a fortune on research and design to improve his product - six months later an exact Chinese copy is being shown at a trade fair in China.

The Chinese are not playing by the rules - impose import controls until they level the playing field.

Red tape is the source of all evil (and very little good )

You can protect the worker at the cost of destroying the jobs

Minimum wage is another problem that we have in this country without going into the cost of social security

All these helps to the people are killing the country –the end is in sight (no jobs/ no money / and no hope)

Ive been saying this for years. It amazes me how the Unions and left leaning academics fail to understand that regulation smothers enterprise. My own business is very small yet very profitable. Were I to employ more staff, the business would be just as viable and profitable, but Im simply not prepared to burden myself with red - tape and regulation, life is too short, and the time and energy required on additional red - tape would make my life a less happy space to be.

Academics talk of 'flexible working' being the key to sucess, that is, until they are the customer of a service provider that delivers poor outcomes due to the extra links in the chain bought about by flexible work structures. You try replacing 1 full time worker with 2 or 3 part time, its a logistical nightmare and 'handover' swallows - up valuable time.

The brits deserve all they get. We allow our manufacturing to be saddled with more and more regulation.

In the end, we will all pay for this decadence.

Approximately 2 billion people have been added to the market economy since 1989 (E Europe, China, India) and the effects are starting to come through (kids born in 1989 are now in mid 20's, and have known nothing but market economy)

The repercussions are amazing, ongoing, and by and large positive. Me, I decided I couldn't beat 'em, so I joined 'em.

Approximately 2 billion people have been added to the market economy since 1989 (E Europe, China, India) and the effects are starting to come through (kids born in 1989 are now in mid 20's, and have known nothing but market economy)

And as they are largely living in poverty, there is an awful lot of growth there.

China imports a lot of steel scrap from Europe.

They import so much that scrap metal is actually worth something again. You do not see many rusting cars dumped around the place any more do you?

Also, some have taken to nicking drainage grills because they are apparently worth about £400 each!! One was nicked off our estate not so long ago. (Thinking about it they must be quite high grade steel because they not rust much and they have to take the load of 40 tonners, as well.)

The repercussions are amazing, ongoing, and by and large positive. Me, I decided I couldn't beat 'em, so I joined 'em.

I see your point but kids born in 1989 are now 16, not mid 20's unless maths has also been changed with the market economy. :P

Just made myself feel incredibly old working that out. If I go out this Saturday night there will be people legally drinking who were born in 1987... :o

There will come a point in time, when the minimum wage is only 50P, that outsourcing manufacturing from China & India to places like Corby, (Northants - for those of you who don't know), will be quite an attractive option.

I think we will see this during our lifetime!

Cheers.

If manurefacturing or any other type of industry is to survive people from shop floor to board level are going to have lower their expectations. Is it better to be paid 75% of what your are now and have a job and doing something worthwhile or no job at all?

If manurefacturing or any other type of industry is to survive people from shop floor to board level are going to have lower their expectations. Is it better to be paid 75% of what your are now and have a job and doing something worthwhile or no job at all?

Absolutely.

We are a decadent society. We've allowed wealth creating indusrty to be hi - jacked by left leaning Nannys and employment tribunals that demand ever more rights and regulations. Problem is, the end consumer doesnt want to pay the high price of goods and services that result, so realistic economies, unburdoened by political interference plug the gap.

Now the 'real' jobs are going abroad and the state currently takes up the slack through its expansion, but its the wrong way round'; Indusrty and wealth creation is the foundation of any society, not Liberal / leftish interference and social engineering.

Edited by dogbox

I do not agree. If people work hard and create wealth, they should be rewarded for their success. What happens at the moment is that the government and the local authority confiscate the profits and use the money to pay people with degrees in sociology to go and tell the companies how to run their business.

I do not agree. If people work hard and create wealth, they should be rewarded for their success. What happens at the moment is that the government and the local authority confiscate the profits and use the money to pay people with degrees in sociology to go and tell the companies how to run their business.

I agree with what you say, but even if our establishment was super efficient I think that global pressures from China et al will still mean there are downward pressures on salaries.

We compete in a global market place. The market sets the price, raw materials are going up, therefore if you want the job then either profits have to fall (or disappear) or employment costs have to fall. There is no other choice. A business may chose to borrow in order to pay for increasing costs in the 'expectation' that better market conditions will return, but if they do not then the bank will pull the plug.

No other way, I dont like it anymore but if you want to be in business you have to accept these rules, the only saving grace is that as the Indians, chinese living standards grow so will there costs, but in the mean time it will be very difficult for our comfy western economies.

Because it would drive up inflation and therefore interest rates, if that means trashing a quarter of our economy and export base then so be it!

It's impossible to compete with "slave"labor. Not sure if the Quotation marks are necessary or not. :rolleyes:

It's impossible to compete with "slave"labor. Not sure if the Quotation marks are necessary or not. :rolleyes:

Not if the British Pound loses half it's value.

Cheap labour isn't the only input cost.

It's very simple really, our living standards are going to drop, while theirs are going to rise.

Deal with it.

Edited by BandWagon

im not sure if our standards will drop so much as the chinese standards may rise to ours. then we should be re-balanced to compete again. they are playing catch up on a grand scale. perhaps things may be slower-ish for uk makers in teh future, but as other nations tower over our manufacturing output in the past such as france and usa - it hasnt meant we were thrown into poverty either.

!!!!