House Price Crash Forum
exiges

Don't Worry, There's A Lifetime Of Smi For You

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9443000/9443259.stm

Well, what's remaining of your lifetime anyway

Growing army of over-50s join the battle to find work

We may not be familiar with the fact that "sick" means cool or that a spot of "chillaxing"' might be a good idea on a Sunday afternoon, but it turns out that we over-50s actually do have a lot in common with Britain's 18-24 year olds - far too many of us are unemployed.

There is currently an army of almost 400,000 over-50s who face a growing stack of rejection letters.

Perhaps more concerning is the fact that almost half are classed by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) as long term unemployed , meaning they have been out of work for at least a year.

For the over-50s, the ONS data reveals that the odds of finding another job are lower than in any other age group and they rarely make headlines or are the subject of government back-to-work initiatives.

Put simply, time is not on their side.

Edited by exiges

Two and half million unemployed youngsters, half a million unemployed over-50s, three million immigrants - if only someone could find a solution to this problem! ;)

Two and half million unemployed youngsters, half a million unemployed over-50s, three million immigrants - if only someone could find a solution to this problem! ;)

Lower rents and mortgages and they can all be gainfully employed, and more besides.

MPs are far too busy. Busy trying to find ways for increasing their expenses, flipping their portfolios and giving money to the bankers.

Edited by billybong

and we are expected to not claim a pension find work till we are 70.

They don't care what you do between 50 and 70, so long as it doesn't cost the tax payer.

Racists who habitually ignore basic principles of economic activity, some unused padded cells - if only someone could find a solution to this problem...

Racists who habitually ignore basic principles of economic activity, some unused padded cells - if only someone could find a solution to this problem...

Indeed. I've never come across a media studies graduate who is happy to pick fruit.

Indeed. I've never come across a media studies graduate who is happy to pick fruit.

I'm not happy to pay taxes to keep them unemployed so they'd better get picking. :angry:

shipping out our 3million unemployed to Eastern Europe?

I'm not happy to pay taxes to keep them unemployed so they'd better get picking. :angry:

its not harvest time

So explain to me what is racist about an anti-immigration stance ?. If I were racist wouldnt I be welcoming caucasion poles with open arms ?. As far as I'm concerned british jobs should be for brittish people no matter what their ethnicity unless the immigrant is payed say 1.5 times the going rate so as to ensure its for genuine skill reasons and not just a cost reduction excercise.

Really, playing the race card just marks you out as a bit of a tw*t without an argument of real substance.

Edited by goldbug9999

And how many of them do you know? :lol:

I'd happily grow and pick fruit for a living, trouble is thanks to Tescos, it wouldn't pay my mortgage.

Edited by PopGun

So explain to me what is racist about an anti-immigration stance ?. If I were racist wouldnt I be welcoming caucasion poles with open arms ?. As far as I'm concerned british jobs should be for brittish people no matter what their ethnicity unless the immigrant is payed say 1.5 times the going rate so as to ensure its for genuine skill reasons and not just a cost reduction excercise.

Really, playing the race card just marks you out as a bit of a tw*t without an argument of real substance.

Well, there is something quite wrong with Nationalist's response. I am not playing the race card here but he has oversimplified a problem for his own argument (less immigration) which is essentially what politicians like to do.

We have a huge problem in this country because whilst there are millions of people who are not working, these very same millions WILL NOT work in many of the jobs Eastern Europeans are more than willing to do. This is a major issue.

Using the fruit harvesting as an example, these jobs are temporary (seasonal) and require individuals (some of whom have children in schools) to follow the work around which is simply not practical in a lot of cases. There are many immigrants however who have the flexibility to be able to do this whilst they establish themselves in the UK.

This is not a black and white issue (excuse the pun); we need to find a way of overcoming the systemic attitude many people in the UK have to employment and a change is going to take years to achieve.

I was reacting to nationalist's simplistic equation that an immigrant finding a job means that there is one less job for someone born in Britain. Since it doesn't take much effort to understand why the equation is simplistic and largely wrong, I am inferring other motives for its use.

That aside, the key word here was 'immigration', which doesn't imply a temporary visitor. A temporary worker has a completely different economic impact than an immigrant. I would happily concede, for example, that polish migrant workers undercutting british labourers and taking the income back to poland at the end of their stay may well have a negative impact on the uk economy.

We have a huge problem in this country because whilst there are millions of people who are not working, these very same millions WILL NOT work in many of the jobs Eastern Europeans are more than willing to do. This is a major issue.

Using the fruit harvesting as an example, these jobs are temporary (seasonal) and require individuals (some of whom have children in schools) to follow the work around which is simply not practical in a lot of cases.

You make some interesting points. But I've a feeling that the next decade or two will see many, many people forced to revisit their views on what is practical and appropriate work.

Fruit picking is just one option; there's also cleaning, caring for the elderly, call centres, taxi driving, waiter/waitress, shop assistant, shelf filling, child minder, burger flipping, petrol station cashier, shopping mall security, road sweeper, parking warden, etc, etc. We can look forward to an as yet unborn "New Charles Dickens" populating his 21st century novels with all these colourful characters.

To clarify, I'm not racist, but it seems madness to me to have unemployment in the UK and at the same time let in hoards of immigrant workers. British jobs should go to British workers. It is both unfair to our people to have them undercut by immigrants with no families to support able to live cheaply 10 to a house, and completely stupid because those of us with jobs then have to pay taxes to fund dole money for the unemployed.

We now have well-educated Eastern Europeans competing for jobs with the least able segment of our society; bright young Poles etc with qualifications going up for jobs against our unqualified school-leavers, or 50-somethings. Our people cannot compete on quality and cannot compete on price. A whole segment of our workforce is marginalised. They have been betrayed by a supposedly "Labour" government. You can say tough-sh*t to them if you like, but those of us of a "nationalist" inclination feel we have a responsibility towards them.

We should get rid of the immigrants to free up jobs for British unemployed people. But there are two sides to this. The government makes sure there are jobs for Brits, but the unemployed MUST take the jobs or lose all benefits. No free rides anymore.

As for fruit picking, yes it's seasonal and quite casual, but we should reconfigure the benefit system so that days of work can and must be taken without affecting general entitlement to benefits. Imagine a phone call like this: "Is that Mr Smith? It's the JobCentre here. We've got you a day's fruit picking for tomorrow. Report to Buttercup Farm at 8am. You can keep the cash you earn but won't be paid any benefits for tomorrow if you don't turn up."

We should also raise the minimum wage to £10/hour so that people aren't exploited by employers. Buttercup Farm-gate prices may have to rise. Tough, the supermarkets can absorb some of the rise and consumers will just have to pay the rest.

As far as I'm concerned british jobs should be for brittish people no matter what their ethnicity

Say you had a business. Your personal wealth and lifestyle depended on getting the best workers for the job. And you spoke to other people in similar businesses and 99% of them told you to 'Get Poles in to do it' instead of British because the ones that are hear will generally give you a better result. If this was your business would you still have the same views as you state above ? I highly doubt it. As the comment below - it is a fairly complex issue. British jobs for British workers sounds all very nice. However in reality I don't think it is quite as simple as that.

Well, there is something quite wrong with Nationalist's response. I am not playing the race card here but he has oversimplified a problem for his own argument (less immigration) which is essentially what politicians like to do.

Using the fruit harvesting as an example, these jobs are temporary (seasonal) and require individuals (some of whom have children in schools) to follow the work around which is simply not practical in a lot of cases. There are many immigrants however who have the flexibility to be able to do this whilst they establish themselves in the UK.

This is not a black and white issue (excuse the pun); we need to find a way of overcoming the systemic attitude many people in the UK have to employment and a change is going to take years to achieve.

Good post. Totally agree. What we see as 'work' is gonna be very different in the future. Then again - is this not always the case ? 'Jobs for life' was all the rage for a few decades. Now that has pretty much gone. Having to work down a dangerous mine is all but gone, replaced by sitting at a desk for many. People just need to remain flexible and go with the flow.

Make it pay enough to take part in general economic life within the UK and i'm sure they would.

Nothing to do with flexibility and other such rubbish and everything to do with economic returns. We dont seem to have any difficulty recruiting workers to the oil industry, and they have to spend months at a time away from their families offshore in much harsher conditions. Why? Because the economic returns are great enough to outweigh such negatives.

Apply the same principle to seasonal harvesting work in the UK and their will be no issue.

I was reacting to nationalist's simplistic equation that an immigrant finding a job means that there is one less job for someone born in Britain. Since it doesn't take much effort to understand why the equation is simplistic and largely wrong, I am inferring other motives for its use.

Nationalist's equation was hardly simplistic. Any country in the world that offered unlimited unemployment benefits and more or less open immigration will end up in the exact same place where significant immigration co-exists with significant unemployment. If you pay people not work, they're not going to work. It's real simple -- especially if immigration is allowed to drive the price of labour (i.e. wages) down to the point where a life on benefits with plenty of free time is better than a salary and no free time.

Removing the whole race question, and just speaking in terms of Country A with high wages and welfare benefits and Country B with low wages and low benefits, please come up with one logical reason why the citizens of Country B won't move to Country A and why many of the citizens of Country A won't be unemployed when free migration is allowed.