House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Uttley

Computer Question

Is there a way of watching videos that I've downloaded* onto my laptop on my TV? What cable do I need?

*No, not that sort of video. :ph34r: If you must know they are poker training videos.

Yes if your tv has a pc input. I have a 5 metre cable (£10). You will also need a seperate cable for sound, i have mine plugged into my amp using the cd input from my laptop (single 3mm to double 3mm) i think this was cheaper at £8 for a 5 metre length. Both can be bought from any pc shop.

If you TV is the HD variety and you have a PC input then all you need is a VGA cable and a 3.5mm headphone type cable.

Yes if your tv has a pc input. I have a 5 metre cable (£10). You will also need a seperate cable for sound, i have mine plugged into my amp using the cd input from my laptop (single 3mm to double 3mm) i think this was cheaper at £8 for a 5 metre length. Both can be bought from any pc shop.

If you TV is the HD variety and you have a PC input then all you need is a VGA cable and a 3.5mm headphone type cable.

Thank you!

If you have a newish TV and laptop they may have HDMI sockets, if so an HDMI cable would be the way to go. HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) will do both audio and video.

HDMI cables are available online for less than a fiver, don't buy a £80 quid one from Currys or PC World.

Without wanting to sound too geeky, there can be issues with HDMI audio: the drivers for some computer video cards don't support it properly, and/or you have to dig deep into the menu screens of the monitor to get it to 'listen' for audio in the HDMI stream. I found about this the hard way when I replaced my VGA monitor with an HDMI one.

Without wanting to sound too geeky, there can be issues with HDMI audio: the drivers for some computer video cards don't support it properly, and/or you have to dig deep into the menu screens of the monitor to get it to 'listen' for audio in the HDMI stream. I found about this the hard way when I replaced my VGA monitor with an HDMI one.

I have had to dig around in the menu to switch the audio on, but once the menus are set up, audio and video resolution, it's plug and play.

If you have a newish TV and laptop they may have HDMI sockets, if so an HDMI cable would be the way to go. HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) will do both audio and video.

HDMI cables are available online for less than a fiver, don't buy a £80 quid one from Currys or PC World.

my router got ******ed last year and wouldn't transmit wireless, only worked through the lan ethernet.

trouble was the best cable i had was all of a metre long,so i went to pc world to get a quickfix 40m job - £40 :blink:

got a backup from amazon a ay later - 4 quid.

ps i also have had no problems with hdm ito the tv - telly is a 3 year old samsung, laptop new last year though,didn't have to setup any menu's though.

Tesco were selling HDMI leads for £1.79 (I bought 5 of them) - they work fine.

Buckers

And the bulk of what you were paying for there would have been the heat-sealed blister pack.