House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Democorruptcy

Tesco Have Started Selling Secondhand Cars Today

I worry about why/how/what-to-do-if-anything entities like Tesco are able to become so big but in this case perhaps they may have a positive impact for the consumer in this particular market which is notorious for lots of things.

I left my car parked in the massive carpark of a Tesco Extra some time ago. Just simply couldn't find it again. I told the help desk and was told not to worry - they were sure it would turn up.. just to leave them the keys. Anyway so I just walked off, feeling a little disappointed, well it saved on petrol at the end of the day. Makes me wonder though..

B):P:lol:

I worry about why/how/what-to-do-if-anything entities like Tesco are able to become so big but in this case perhaps they may have a positive impact for the consumer in this particular market which is notorious for lots of things.

There will be nothing to do, by that time they will have their own Tesco army and Tesco air force like a modern day east india company.

Edited by Britney's Piers

So is this who "we buy any car" are?

Maybe it's a reaction to the fact that their car parks are being used as free forecourts.

I don't have a local Tesco, but plenty of people leave their cars in the free ASDA park with stickers in the windows.

Maybe TESCO just wanted a cut?

I think it's probably an experiment. Would you buy a used car from TESCO?

Actually, I bought my previous car from a Somerfield supermarket park. It was a lovely day in May, the car with the sticker in the window belonged to a woman with wonderful boobs, wearing a really skimpy vest top. I just had to have it.

Edited by copydude

Dealing in secondhand motors seems like the kind of thing where the customer-facing staff need to have a clue about what they're doing. This is quite a long way from Tesco's standard model of de-skilled work like shelf stacking, till operators, home deliveries, call centre monkeys working from a script etc. They should stick to what they're good at.

Dealing in secondhand motors seems like the kind of thing where the customer-facing staff need to have a clue about what they're doing. This is quite a long way from Tesco's standard model of de-skilled work like shelf stacking, till operators, home deliveries, call centre monkeys working from a script etc. They should stick to what they're good at.

cut it with the insults...you need a degree to be an aisle manager at a supermarket.

Now you can stock up your Ladas.

tyred old jokes to cheer up a Sunny Monday

How long before we replace sterling with a that Tesco note in someone's signature?

http://www.tescocars.com/

It's one reason I keep it in my sig, It's only a matter of time before Tesco take over the running of the whole UK as all government departments are outsourced to private enterprise, soon we will all be required to wear the Tesco uniform..our nightmares will be accompanied by the *beep beep* of the scanner as your tattooed barcode is read by the Department of Social Services when you collect your Tesco Credits for you to spend however you like on food or clothing in one of its billion outlets.. B)

I have been running a car sales business since 1977 and in those 34 years I have never known a time as hard as this.90% of customers have a sub £4k budget and most of those have a piece of sh!t to trade in.I did the Tesco test up to £5500 and the offerings were...............feck all.They will nmeed every little bit of help they can get with this.

I have been running a car sales business since 1977 and in those 34 years I have never known a time as hard as this.90% of customers have a sub £4k budget and most of those have a piece of sh!t to trade in.I did the Tesco test up to £5500 and the offerings were...............feck all.They will nmeed every little bit of help they can get with this.

I had a quick scan on my normal search settings* and there's nothing. Much better then your average customer.. I go up to £5k. And my mondeo was valued at a princely £565 by WeBuyAnyCar..

I get the impression they are trying to bulk-buy ex-lease cars up to 3 years old. Most cars of that age with a FSH are going to be pretty reliable, so there would be a minimal follow up required. Thing is, I'm either going to go to a local garage in case it needs to go back straight away, or I'll do an auction and hope. Getting a Tesco car delivered from 150miles away and finding there is something serious wrong with it does not sound like fun.

*"Diesel + Ford + Estate + Not Sh!t"

So they won't be treading on your toes then, that's a good thing.

They'll flog them using Tesco Finance and that'll help them shift higher priced cars sub-£10k mostly in the £5-7.5k range.

I had a quick scan on my normal search settings* and there's nothing. Much better then your average customer.. I go up to £5k. And my mondeo was valued at a princely £565 by WeBuyAnyCar..

I get the impression they are trying to bulk-buy ex-lease cars up to 3 years old. Most cars of that age with a FSH are going to be pretty reliable, so there would be a minimal follow up required. Thing is, I'm either going to go to a local garage in case it needs to go back straight away, or I'll do an auction and hope. Getting a Tesco car delivered from 150miles away and finding there is something serious wrong with it does not sound like fun.

*"Diesel + Ford + Estate + Not Sh!t"

A female customer sent her VW Passat to WBAC.They valued it at £2500 on the phone with a trade price of £3125 that wasn't generous.When it got there (she sent it on a delivery trailer because her insurance had run out) they called and said it was worth £1600.The delivery driver rung her and offered £1700 and bought it. Fluffy..I have a 56 reg Vectra Design 1.9CDTi Estate 76k for £5k.

Edited by profitofdoom

I looked up a Ford Focus 57 plate on their site.The car has a trade price of £5800 and they are asking £6637 delivered.So £837 above what the trade would pay.Typically I would sell this car at with a screen price of £6750 and a discount of £450 for no trade in. So undercutting them by £337.They don't say what their warranty arrangements are but if it's insurance based it's not worth the paper it's written on.I can't see how they could do their own so if anything goes wrong you will have grief.

*UPDATE* Just read their warranty arrangements.The RAC Platinum warranty is included ,but if you read the small print items excluded from the cover are many and varied.I specifically noted that "Convertibles hoods and motors are not covered" I just paid over £800 for a hood ECU on an Astra Convertible under warranty so ..beware. I can see plenty of small claims court cases for Tesco.

Edited by profitofdoom

I looked up a Ford Focus 57 plate on their site.The car has a trade price of £5800 and they are asking £6637 delivered.So £837 above what the trade would pay.Typically I would sell this car at with a screen price of £6750 and a discount of £450 for no trade in. So undercutting them by £337.They don't say what their warranty arrangements are but if it's insurance based it's not worth the paper it's written on.I can't see how they could do their own so if anything goes wrong you will have grief.

Are they doing finance?