House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

The Awful Truth Is That We Don't Even Know How Much The Eu Costs Us

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-awful-truth-even-know-tele-1877721845.html?x=0

The awful truth is that we don't even know how much the EU costs us

Alasdair "Alastair" Palmer, 19:09, Saturday 2 April 2011
The EU says our contributions total £14.7 billion, the ONS says they are £17.5 billion - but it could be even more, says Alasdair Palmer .
How much does the EU cost the taxpayer? We all know it costs us a lot, and that the amount keeps going up. But exactly how much of our hard-earned dosh does each of us fork out every year to retain Britain’s status as a full and proper member of the EU?
The short answer seems to be: no one knows. This is not because no one has tried to calculate it. Lots of people have, but they have all, or nearly all, come back with different answers sometimes wildly different. The estimates vary, from £300 a year for each of us (according to last week’s newspapers), to more than three times that figure.

As the banksters rob the tills and the MEPs gourge at the EU trough no one cares anymore. Lawlessness abounds and there is nothing anyone can or wants to do about it.

As the banksters rob the tills and the MEPs gourge at the EU trough no one cares anymore. Lawlessness abounds and there is nothing anyone can or wants to do about it.

Oh I would and many people would, but flaming torches and pitchforks are no match for modern armies, have a look at what China did in 1989.

Oh I would and many people would, but flaming torches and pitchforks are no match for modern armies, have a look at what China did in 1989.

Perhaps we should do a leave the eu march. Might be interesting to see now many come.

Perhaps we should do a leave the eu march. Might be interesting to see now many come.

not even 5 figures I would guess. Even if you get 2 million they would be ignored.

There has been cultural conditioning of the face of 'evil' for generations.

The EU is deliberately modelled against that. No single focal point of 'them' to rally against. No obvious theft of the resources, there are deliberately hundreds of layers, all skimming off the top. Even proven fraud doesn't get pulses raising.

Like another poster said, it will take widespread starvation to get a revolution going, which has been long planned for and the population will be easily quelled in their weakened state

Perhaps we can look to our Saudi Arabian saviours to protect us from our oppressive overlords with a no-fly zone.

The EU, bankers, AlQaeda, Weapons of Mass Destruction, credit crunch, terrorists, even Colonel Gaddafi, all things that UK Joe Public is supposed to fear or hate but can never meet or do anything to. We must keep informing the public of these terrors out there that the government protects us from. If there was nothing to be afraid of, it would be a terrible society, you wouldn't be able to keep people in their places.

not even 5 figures I would guess. Even if you get 2 million they would be ignored.

There has been cultural conditioning of the face of 'evil' for generations.

The EU is deliberately modelled against that. No single focal point of 'them' to rally against. No obvious theft of the resources, there are deliberately hundreds of layers, all skimming off the top. Even proven fraud doesn't get pulses raising.

Like another poster said, it will take widespread starvation to get a revolution going, which has been long planned for and the population will be easily quelled in their weakened state

Perhaps we can look to our Saudi Arabian saviours to protect us from our oppressive overlords with a no-fly zone.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-awful-truth-even-know-tele-1877721845.html?x=0

The awful truth is that we don't even know how much the EU costs us

Alasdair "Alastair" Palmer, 19:09, Saturday 2 April 2011
The EU says our contributions total £14.7 billion, the ONS says they are £17.5 billion - but it could be even more, says Alasdair Palmer .
How much does the EU cost the taxpayer? We all know it costs us a lot, and that the amount keeps going up. But exactly how much of our hard-earned dosh does each of us fork out every year to retain Britain’s status as a full and proper member of the EU?
The short answer seems to be: no one knows. This is not because no one has tried to calculate it. Lots of people have, but they have all, or nearly all, come back with different answers sometimes wildly different. The estimates vary, from £300 a year for each of us (according to last week’s newspapers), to more than three times that figure.

Many people on this website, including you, I believe, talk about a possible retirement in Spain or France, etc. Seems to me that some people rather take the EU for granted and forget taht not too many years ago you couldn't just "move" to one of these countries just like that, let alone retire there. These were totally foreign jurisdictions that required visa applications and emigration and most people would not qualify.

Today any British person can move to any EU country without any trouble, and many here are planning to do just that, and yet at the same time openly talk about unwinding the EU, which to me are two totally contradictory positions.

Many people on this website, including you, I believe, talk about a possible retirement in Spain or France, etc. Seems to me that some people rather take the EU for granted and forget taht not too many years ago you couldn't just "move" to one of these countries just like that, let alone retire there. These were totally foreign jurisdictions that required visa applications and emigration and most people would not qualify.

Today any British person can move to any EU country without any trouble, and many here are planning to do just that, and yet at the same time openly talk about unwinding the EU, which to me are two totally contradictory positions.

I have no intention of moving to the EU. If I sign an affidavit to that fact can I have my 300 GBP (+) back? I am quite willing to commit to paying that back (including reasonable inflation adjustment) should I change my mind.

I have no intention of moving to the EU. If I sign an affidavit to that fact can I have my 300 GBP (+) back? I am quite willing to commit to paying that back (including reasonable inflation adjustment) should I change my mind.

But you're already in the EU. You don't have to move!

Do you have some notion that UK people and government are different? Please explain - I could do with a laugh in this land of state subsidised blaggers.

Not trying to aggravate anyone. Freedom is good, and the greatest barrier to freedom is the state. So freedom of capital and movement should be welcomed, but only between states that share the rule of law. The EU is not the major problem - it's China.

The EU says our contributions total £14.7 billion, the ONS says they are £17.5 billion - but it could be even more, says Alasdair Palmer

The eu likely thinks the UK is quite prepared to run up £8 trillion in taxpayers liabilities on the stealth so £17.5 billion eu contribution is chickenfeed. How about £175 billion or a £trillion, they won't know. Just give UK MPs a duck house or a John Lewis toaster and they'll sign anything away.

You can have free trade and free movement without insane taxes.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

The British have always wanted US taxes and European services. Always, and this is their problem - they want the impossible, and yet they seem to have achieved US services and European taxes. Quite an achievement.

Edited by Tecumseh

Why not?

People retire to South africa, australia, florida, even thailand.

This is how the EU gets you lot on its side; threats and blackmail. Leave us and we'll take away your jobs, cut youre funding, stop you from travelling etc etc.

The British have always wanted US taxes and European services. Always, and this is their problem - they want the impossible, and yet they seem to have achieved US services and European taxes. Quite an achievement.

Not really. Take scotland wales and n.ireland out of it and until Browns double digit deficits England could have had both US levels of taxes AND euro levels of services. Govt spending in England overall has rarely been in excess of 30% of GDP.

Britains problem is that it wants to stay British. As much as i like the other nations, England could do a lot better going it alone. For some reason people have a cultural attachment to the union jack.

On the whole I think the EU is a good thing if they stopped taking the piss and bleeding each other dry....it is becoming more than a joke it is becoming laughable....people can only take so much, then they start to sit up and not only start ask questions but start taking action. ;)

Not really. Take scotland wales and n.ireland out of it and until Browns double digit deficits England could have had both US levels of taxes AND euro levels of services. Govt spending in England overall has rarely been in excess of 30% of GDP.

Britains problem is that it wants to stay British. As much as i like the other nations, England could do a lot better going it alone. For some reason people have a cultural attachment to the union jack.

Couldn't agree more, yet we're not even given the same devolved powers that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have. Even if we were worse off alone I would still prefer it. Anything rather than face another anti-democratic hijacking of a vote on English matters by MPs from other countries.

Couldn't agree more, yet we're not even given the same devolved powers that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have. Even if we were worse off alone I would still prefer it. Anything rather than face another anti-democratic hijacking of a vote on English matters by MPs from other countries.

What are you getting so worked up about - FFS you'll either be an islamic state in a generation anyway or deeply mired in a civil war..

Trust me - you got wayyyyy bigger problems than the fact that people YOU keep voting for are ******ing you over prescription charges :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

On the whole I think the EU is a good thing if they stopped taking the piss and bleeding each other dry....it is becoming more than a joke it is becoming laughable....people can only take so much, then they start to sit up and not only start ask questions but start taking action. ;)

Pretty much my stance as well.

What's needed is a pro-EU but anti-corruption and waste party.

Have they not had their accounts audited for something like 15 years?

That, annoys me as much as any UKIP member.