House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Watching Grand Designs Now

I enjoy watching this programme. Many of the houses built are fascinating to look at. Some are wonderful.

But, boy, the stress that so many people put themselves through building these homes. I get stressed watching and hence feeling their stress.

I like the show from a "that looks nice". The presenter gets a bit boring as he always slated the houses in the beginning with a troubled frown on his face. And in the end he loves it. But yeah you can tell that certain couples, mainly the men, often she like he'll in only 1 year. Not sure I'd like it but at the same time would love tip build my own home

I've seen a couple of episodes. Revolting. A series of documentaries demonstrating just how obsessed people can become with their own navel fluff, and just how foolishly they will believe having a marble worktop can make them happy. I guess that makes slightly compelling viewing, a bit like the bearded lady tent I suppose.

Edited by Fraccy

I like the construction and structural bits of Grand design. Wierdy I find watching construction programmes relaxing. Of course these are editted highlights. Watching real life construction is like watching paint dry - or rather a load blokes stood round looking at a load of bricks and drinking tea. The robot revolution cannot soon enough ...

The finishing bit is pure mumsnet mania: 'Dahhlin I want Italian marble worktop the same shade as John Lewis green.

Whatever you think of Kev McCloud and his slightly patronising drooling over architecture and spaces that 'speak to each other', at least he's not obsessed with the property's price as Krusty & Phil are.

I enjoy watching this programme. Many of the houses built are fascinating to look at. Some are wonderful.

But, boy, the stress that so many people put themselves through building these homes. I get stressed watching and hence feeling their stress.

I think the main cause of the stress is that most people build to the limit of their budgets, which is crazy.

Another big problem of this series was to give the impression that self-builds have to be these "grand designs", as opposed to simply having your own simple cheap family home built for yourself, like in most other countries in this planet.

I find the way he insists on snogging everyone's wife really cringeworthy, he'd get a slap if he tried that round my place :D

I think your wife would slap you back.

At least they don't all pop out sprogs like those that have been near Phil Spencer.

I think your wife would slap you back.

i was thinking my wife would slap him

At least they don't all pop out sprogs like those that have been near Phil Spencer.

stress is a great contraceptive.

My dad built our house, we lived on site in a caravan during the build then into the first finished room. None of this "oh we rented a cottage a few miles away during construction" nonsense.

How does everyone else have enough money / capacity for debt to afford to do this?

your own simple cheap family home built for yourself.

I did a self build once. Like 80% of self builders it doesn't end up "cheap", you just plough back any savings into higher quality construction and fittings. The other 20% also do this, but then go over budget as well!

I did a self build once. Like 80% of self builders it doesn't end up "cheap", you just plough back any savings into higher quality construction and fittings. The other 20% also do this, but then go over budget as well!

I was thinking mainly via a sensible size, small at first, with potential for expansion in a few years, if the family grows.

The main rip-of in contemporary Britain (South) is the cost of building plots, due to absurdly over-restrictive planning system. Plots here in Sussex are as rare as hens teeth, and consequently absurdly expensive.

I was thinking mainly via a sensible size, small at first, with potential for expansion in a few years, if the family grows.

The main rip-of in contemporary Britain (South) is the cost of building plots, due to absurdly over-restrictive planning system. Plots here in Sussex are as rare as hens teeth, and consequently absurdly expensive.

It might make sense to have one set of rules for individual self builders and another for developers. Which is probably why it won't happen.