Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Watching Grand Designs Now

Recommended Posts

I enjoy watching this programme. Many of the houses built are fascinating to look at. Some are wonderful.

But, boy, the stress that so many people put themselves through building these homes. I get stressed watching and hence feeling their stress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the show from a "that looks nice". The presenter gets a bit boring as he always slated the houses in the beginning with a troubled frown on his face. And in the end he loves it. But yeah you can tell that certain couples, mainly the men, often she like he'll in only 1 year. Not sure I'd like it but at the same time would love tip build my own home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a couple of episodes. Revolting. A series of documentaries demonstrating just how obsessed people can become with their own navel fluff, and just how foolishly they will believe having a marble worktop can make them happy. I guess that makes slightly compelling viewing, a bit like the bearded lady tent I suppose.

Edited by Fraccy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the construction and structural bits of Grand design. Wierdy I find watching construction programmes relaxing. Of course these are editted highlights. Watching real life construction is like watching paint dry - or rather a load blokes stood round looking at a load of bricks and drinking tea. The robot revolution cannot soon enough ...

The finishing bit is pure mumsnet mania: 'Dahhlin I want Italian marble worktop the same shade as John Lewis green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever you think of Kev McCloud and his slightly patronising drooling over architecture and spaces that 'speak to each other', at least he's not obsessed with the property's price as Krusty & Phil are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy watching this programme. Many of the houses built are fascinating to look at. Some are wonderful.

But, boy, the stress that so many people put themselves through building these homes. I get stressed watching and hence feeling their stress.

I think the main cause of the stress is that most people build to the limit of their budgets, which is crazy.

Another big problem of this series was to give the impression that self-builds have to be these "grand designs", as opposed to simply having your own simple cheap family home built for yourself, like in most other countries in this planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the way he insists on snogging everyone's wife really cringeworthy, he'd get a slap if he tried that round my place :D

I think your wife would slap you back.

At least they don't all pop out sprogs like those that have been near Phil Spencer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think your wife would slap you back.

i was thinking my wife would slap him

At least they don't all pop out sprogs like those that have been near Phil Spencer.

stress is a great contraceptive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad built our house, we lived on site in a caravan during the build then into the first finished room. None of this "oh we rented a cottage a few miles away during construction" nonsense.

How does everyone else have enough money / capacity for debt to afford to do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

your own simple cheap family home built for yourself.

I did a self build once. Like 80% of self builders it doesn't end up "cheap", you just plough back any savings into higher quality construction and fittings. The other 20% also do this, but then go over budget as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a self build once. Like 80% of self builders it doesn't end up "cheap", you just plough back any savings into higher quality construction and fittings. The other 20% also do this, but then go over budget as well!

I was thinking mainly via a sensible size, small at first, with potential for expansion in a few years, if the family grows.

The main rip-of in contemporary Britain (South) is the cost of building plots, due to absurdly over-restrictive planning system. Plots here in Sussex are as rare as hens teeth, and consequently absurdly expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking mainly via a sensible size, small at first, with potential for expansion in a few years, if the family grows.

The main rip-of in contemporary Britain (South) is the cost of building plots, due to absurdly over-restrictive planning system. Plots here in Sussex are as rare as hens teeth, and consequently absurdly expensive.

It might make sense to have one set of rules for individual self builders and another for developers. Which is probably why it won't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 284 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.