House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MSE refugee

Ebay Silver Prices!

I have been selling quite a lot of silver on ebay in the past couple of weeks and have noticed that it is far cheaper to buy on ebay than at any bullion dealers.

This seems rather strange as I could never understand why people would buy any silver off ebay as the prices were cheaper elsewhere on the internet.

I am very puzzled as to why my favourite dealers are charging anything from around £34-£44 including VAT and shipping,where as on ebay I have been selling at an average of £30 including shipping.

Could any of you knowledgable gold and silver bugs give me an explanation and is this something to worry about.

I am only selling a small portion of my silver in order to buy gold before anybody says I am mad to sell any.

I have been selling quite a lot of silver on ebay in the past couple of weeks and have noticed that it is far cheaper to buy on ebay than at any bullion dealers.

This seems rather strange as I could never understand why people would buy any silver off ebay as the prices were cheaper elsewhere on the internet.

I am very puzzled as to why my favourite dealers are charging anything from around £34-£44 including VAT and shipping,where as on ebay I have been selling at an average of £30 including shipping.

Could any of you knowledgable gold and silver bugs give me an explanation and is this something to worry about.

I am only selling a small portion of my silver in order to buy gold before anybody says I am mad to sell any.

That's interesting, I haven't bought silver for a few years, but when I did I bought 1 kilo bars through Chards and off Ebay and there was very little difference in price. The benefit of billion dealers was no postage, the benefit of Ebay was not having a bullion dealer report the transaction to HMRC!

Ebay has a bit of both TBH, sometimes is it more expensive like the 1Kilo bars which were going for (and selling) for £1200-£1400 when dealers were selling them for £800ish.

While I've seen some cheap and expensive dealers as well.

I think its only the commonly known coins which carry an ebay premium I've seen eagles go for £50, harmonics about £40. While unknown silver coins like the big 20 Balboas which I have a small collection of (contains 3.8ozt of silver as they are only .925 purity) tend to go for a lot less.

I'm surprised anyody on ebay can make money tbh, the ebay charges are about 10-20% of the final price.

Ebay has a bit of both TBH, sometimes is it more expensive like the 1Kilo bars which were going for (and selling) for £1200-£1400 when dealers were selling them for £800ish.

While I've seen some cheap and expensive dealers as well.

I think its only the commonly known coins which carry an ebay premium I've seen eagles go for £50, harmonics about £40. While unknown silver coins like the big 20 Balboas which I have a small collection of (contains 3.8ozt of silver as they are only .925 purity) tend to go for a lot less.

I'm surprised anyody on ebay can make money tbh, the ebay charges are about 10-20% of the final price.

The last two 1 kilo bars on ebay went for around £930 including shipping.

UK bullion 1kg £986+shipping.

Bullionbypost £994.80 including shipping.

Baird&Co £996.90+shipping

Coininvestdirect.com £970.35 and £946.06+shipping.

For a small investor ebay is a good indicator of where prices are going,this just seems to me as if something is wrong and maybe demand is on the wane.

I pinch myself looking at my purchases at £140 plus vat per kilo.

Fair value £23. Selling on ebay £30. Selling from dealers, £40. Great margins in a no stock business, or perhaps they know something that you don't. Hardly, since they can sell silver at £40 and easily find it and make a very good margin. I hold no silver or gold but its a good business to deal

Edited by fallingbuzzard

To the o/p, you're selling yourself short! They fetch more than that on the bay, £30 -10% then your paypal fees you're lucky to make £26 an oz.

Is your feedback poor?

Is your postage high?

Is your advertising any good?

I've bought quite a bit of silver on eBay in the past and price wise I found that selling prices take a while to catch with the 'market' price.

Like good traders, people are careful to try and be contrary and buy the dips - I don't think the current prices reflect waning in demand in any way (they've jumped by up to £200 per kilo in the past few months).

Ps. For larger purchases only pay by direct bank transfer and negotiate a discount from the seller in advance for doing so.

Pps. I've never sold any silver. :D

Edited by Constable

Probably cheaper because theres so much fake silver on there.

To the o/p, you're selling yourself short! They fetch more than that on the bay, £30 -10% then your paypal fees you're lucky to make £26 an oz.

Is your feedback poor?

Is your postage high?

Is your advertising any good?

My feedback 100% my postage costs are very fair and my advertising is fine.

I would suggest you look at the completed listings of 1oz silver bullion and see for yourself that £30 is the average on ebay.

Even with the fees I am still up around 65% from when I bought them.

Also for people who buy physical silver,ebay is the only way you can get rid of your silver quickly and for a reasonable price.

If there is a better way please tell me.

Probably cheaper because theres so much fake silver on there.

Not true. The only fake stuff is panda's and morgans in pcgs slabs. Dont buy slabbed coins.

Also, those chinese art bars that people say is antique tibetan silver. They are an alloy of tin and nickel with no silver.

This is what to avoid, more prevelant in the US but I wouldnt touch a slabbed coin on feebay http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/pcgs.html

Edited by richyc

Fair value £23. Selling on ebay £30. Selling from dealers, £40.

Utter nonsense. Coinvestdirect price for 1 ounce Eagle is currently £27 a coin. Not sure where you get the £40 from?

Utter nonsense. Coinvestdirect price for 1 ounce Eagle is currently £27 a coin. Not sure where you get the £40 from?

You didnt change the shipping destination to UK did you? :P That changes the price a little when they actually add our vat.

Agree though, it was a bit of a daft post.

Yes, I did. The £27 (27.32 to be exact) is including VAT.

Nope, is £30.82 for delivery to uk. At the top of the page you have to change the 'ship to destination' now when you first go on the site.

Nope, is £30.82 for delivery to uk. At the top of the page you have to change the 'ship to destination' now when you first go on the site.

blimey - you're right. think errol is going to have to apologise on this one.

swipe me - the cheapest 1oz coin are phillies at £30.41 inc VAT. :huh:

i thought they were expensive a couple of years ago at £14 each.

EDIT - i'm an idiot. oops - sorry errol :)

Edited by gasket37

I stand by what I said originally i.e. the £40 per coin is complete nonsense. Coininvest are selling for £30!

you can stand by it but £30 is not £27 :P

Dont worry it catches me out constantly, stoopid site :)

I always agreed though, somewhere around £30ish is not £40 :D

blimey - you're right. think errol is going to have to apologise on this one.

swipe me - the cheapest 1oz coin are phillies at £30.41 inc VAT. :huh:

i thought they were expensive a couple of years ago at £14 each.

EDIT - i'm an idiot. oops - sorry errol :)

Fanny.

I agree though, you are an idiot :D

My feedback 100% my postage costs are very fair and my advertising is fine.

I would suggest you look at the completed listings of 1oz silver bullion and see for yourself that £30 is the average on ebay.

Even with the fees I am still up around 65% from when I bought them.

Also for people who buy physical silver,ebay is the only way you can get rid of your silver quickly and for a reasonable price.

If there is a better way please tell me.

E Bay is not quick either. If something happens to knock confidence in PM prices, many will be left holding the baby. It can be a nerve racking business. Its absolutely fine if you got in years back but now you need balls. Thats why many say dont hold more than 10% of your savings in PM`s . If you lose that its not the end of the world, but it could be a massive mistake for some who are gambling all their hard earned cash....