House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Workers Leave As Council Cuts Staff Numbers

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Workers-leave-council-cuts-staff-numbers/article-3401821-detail/article.html

SCORES of Swansea Council staff have left their jobs as the authority continues to seek financial savings.

The authority wants to make savings of up to almost £60 million over the next three years, in a bid to protect frontline services.

One incentive has been to offer staff voluntary redundancy and early retirement.

And most employees who have taken up the offer clocked off for a final time on Thursday.

A Swansea Council spokesman said: "A total of 101 people are leaving the Council under the Early Retirement Voluntary Redundancy (ERVR) scheme.

The bulk left on March 31, but some are staying for a few months for operational reasons.

Protect

"The aims of the scheme are to reduce management and administration costs, to protect front-line services and to avoid compulsory redundancies."

Council managers, supervisors and admin staff were given the opportunity for redundancy last November, when outgoing chief executive Paul Smith said up to £3 million could be saved in supervision, administration and management.

It followed an announcement by the authority in February 2009 that it wanted to axe 500 jobs by 2012, by not replacing people who move on or retire, unless it is in an essential post, such as social workers.

The plans were intended to reduce the risk of making compulsory redundancies, although council leader Chris Holley warned earlier this year that it was unlikely they would be avoided altogether.

Mike Davies, joint branch secretary of Swansea branch of union Unison said: "This programme has been on offer to reduce numbers of employees within the authority. As a trade union we don't want to see redundancies, but we are aware of the current financial pressures, and we have views on why that has come about.

"But the redundancies have been voluntary and not compulsory at this stage.

So you bought your house long before the boom, you get a nice redundancy package and your pension paid up. Not bad.

I imagine it will result in anyone looking to sell or downgrade a property to just sit stubbornly waiting for their ludicrous asking price?

The comment below the article says it all:

I was one of those 101 who left on Thursday.

My P45 arrived by post to my home on Friday. The City and County of Swansea thought so much of me that there was not even the courtesy of a compliment slip.

Makes you feel valued doesn't it?

I suspect they are recruiting very few, directly or indirectly - you shouldn't ignore the implications - the bubble was blown here out west by ludicrous levels of new recruits being sucked in to non-jobs, often through council / eu / assembly funding rather than direct council employment - you know, community compost manager, etc. - many of them took out ludicrous mortgages, and are now being sacked.

Edited by gruffydd

I suspect that the voluntary redundancy terms will be ultra generous and that the taxpayer will have to wait many years to see any savings.

At the 4-5 councils I currently work at I'd estimate 10-20% of the staff are being made redundant.

Terms for the voluntary redundancy have been 1.5 weeks pay for every years service with a minimum of 13 weeks pay offered. Compulsory redundancy is 1.5 weeks per year with no minimum.

At almost all of them the people leaving are in their 50s or older and will be on a very cushy deal.

The ones being screwed over are the youngsters typically on fixed term contracts which won't be renewed when they end. I know one several who are going to be out of work, will get no pay off and will struggle to find as nice a job again.

Yeah it's the real world but I feel sorry for them - these aren't fat cats but people on £16k IT support jobs who will now be on the dole or forced to take crappy dead end jobs.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Workers-leave-council-cuts-staff-numbers/article-3401821-detail/article.html

So you bought your house long before the boom, you get a nice redundancy package and your pension paid up. Not bad.

I imagine it will result in anyone looking to sell or downgrade a property to just sit stubbornly waiting for their ludicrous asking price?

Are they are the buyers of the properties that workers in the private sector are having to sell because they are losing their jobs?

It would be funny if they did put a compliments slip in:

"With compliments from the taxpayer, here is your P45."