House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Identity Theft Protection

BBC News just did a piece on a company called CPP who try to sell you an identity theft insurance policy when you ring your credit card company to activate a card. It seems the CC companies sub-contract activations to CPP.

It's not just activations. I had this last week when I had a problem with an online CC transaction and phoned Barclaycard for assistance. A very helpful lady identified the problem (they had my address slightly wrong so that it didn't precisely match the address I gave to the supplier) and corrected my address on their system.

Great, good service, but then she turned into a super saleswoman and tried every trick in the book (fear, security etc) to sell me one of these identity theft policies. I ended up telling her that I was used to banks trying to sell me something, but this had been the hardest sell I'd ever been subjected to.

Apparently, they have now been told to stop this practice by the FSA.

Plane ticket booking sites that include an overpriced and useless insurance policy with your order unless you spend ages looking for the box to untick before completing the transaction is another scam to watch out for. Orbitz is especially bad.