House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Manorexic Male Models

I admit I know nothing about fashion, and never have, but this took me by surprise - saw a link on hotukdeals for a topman sale so went to the site to have a look, and the standard seems to be to use male models that can only be described as anorexic looking - when did this happen? When did being this skinny become fasionable, or is this just a topman thing.

Examples from the site:

71M06BGRY_thumb.jpg

90J01BWHT_thumb.jpg

80L02BOGE_thumb.jpg

80H48BOFF_thumb.jpg

Whose ideal is this exactly? Is this a gay thing? Cause while women don't like fat men I've never met one who would prefer one who looks like a little boy over one with a healthy build. Is topman actually aimed at children in their mid teens or something? Because I know very few men (i.e. people over 21) who are that skinny. Thankfully most men I know couldn't give a monkeys about fashion and their appearance - otherwise with 'models' like this we could see the rise of manorexia!

Any like I said I couldn't give a stuff about fashion so this could be a common thing nowadays and could have completely passed me by.

I've noticed this trend too. Androgenous male models seem to be the flavour of the week along with amazingly unattractive ones. So many of the aftershave / shaving adverts on tv - that used to be worth a good oggle - are now peopled with lads I wouldn't look twice at.

Most perplexing.

They are actually award winning power lifters, it's just that the crap fabric has stretched after the first wear.

They are what, 19 - 20 ? People that age are skinny. I am 9 stone at 5'7" and I eat like a piggy (mcdonalds almost daily). Being this skinny doesn't really impress the ladies that much though sadly :(

I have long been of the opinion that there is something seriously dodgy, IMPO, about the modelling professional that appears to want male and female models, IMPO, to look like children.

I will say no more.