House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Increase In Cold Calling?

I've just moved into a new (rented) property, and have had more than one evening vist from a window salesman cold calling. The chap on one occasion looked like the boss... mid 40s, smartly dressed and I'm sorry to say a look of desperation on his face. Are these sort of businesses struggling so much that they have to make calls on a cold, wet evening? I would have thought they'd call in daylight so they can assess the condition of your existing windows first...

I've just moved into a new (rented) property, and have had more than one evening vist from a window salesman cold calling. The chap on one occasion looked like the boss... mid 40s, smartly dressed and I'm sorry to say a look of desperation on his face. Are these sort of businesses struggling so much that they have to make calls on a cold, wet evening? I would have thought they'd call in daylight so they can assess the condition of your existing windows first...

Not had a physical cold caller for many years. I didn't realise this still went on.

Similar thing. Anglian Home Improvements, looked like the boss too. Told him not our home (renting) and wished him good luck. I always thought Anglian saw themselves further up the food chain and they are now reduced to knocking on doors...

I've noticed a massive increase in cold caller jobs over the years.... 7 year ago I was one of them selling gas and electricity. These are a scam, the employees are actually self employed therefore no sales = no income. Therefore no need to pay wages or anything.

I remember being dumped in Moston, prepay gas meter central of the planet. Every home had these quantum prepay meters this was our area for 2 weeks, out of 13 of us we got three sales in a period of 2 weeks. The company benefitted from the sales and gave a tenner commission for each of the sales.

Everybody else was hugely out of pocket.

They do detailed demographic profiling by postcode. I guess their database tells them that people in your new postcode are among the more likely to respond to the particular sales technique they're using.

Note that "more likely" could just mean that one in a hundred of you end up buying. If the national average is one in a thousand, that becomes a good response rate.

Nah evening is the best time as the main worker will usually be home by then.

Most folks at home during the day are either unemployed , or housewives (who generally will say they have to put any major expenditures past their husband)

I've noticed a massive increase in cold caller jobs over the years.... 7 year ago I was one of them selling gas and electricity. These are a scam, the employees are actually self employed therefore no sales = no income. Therefore no need to pay wages or anything.

I remember being dumped in Moston, prepay gas meter central of the planet. Every home had these quantum prepay meters this was our area for 2 weeks, out of 13 of us we got three sales in a period of 2 weeks. The company benefitted from the sales and gave a tenner commission for each of the sales.

But it can work in your favour if you are good at it.

I worked for Zenith double glazing in the early 1990's and made £20/hour knocking doors...

But it can work in your favour if you are good at it.

I worked for Zenith double glazing in the early 1990's and made £20/hour knocking doors...

...yeah but they make fewer houses nowadays and the ones that they do make come ready fitted...the older ones prefer to stay that way. ;)

I get a couple of these a year. Always from EDF. I feel bad doing it but always have to just close the door on them because they wont shut up and take 'no' for an answer.

I get quite a few others but they now always start by asking "are you the homeowner?" and usually just turn their backs and walk as soon as I say "no". I usually manage an equally rude comment before closing the door :)

Its a game of "always be closing" Who's going to close the sale YOU or them?

They say out of every 14 tries, one will say yes and buy. So it's a numbers game.

Of course no matter how much pushing, and giving the hard sell, if people are skint, they're skint.

They say out of every 14 tries, one will say yes and buy. So it's a numbers game.

Of course no matter how much pushing, and giving the hard sell, if people are skint, they're skint.

....the alternative close....sorry, I can't afford it. ;)

Sounds a bit lightweight.

"Remember, if they have the strength to open the door, they have fed themselves. And if they've fed themselves, they've got money. Your money"*

*Evil Dicks Guide to Door to Door Sales.

Sounds a bit lightweight.

"Remember, if they have the strength to open the door, they have fed themselves. And if they've fed themselves, they've got money. Your money"*

*Evil Dicks Guide to Door to Door Sales.

Like it. I did not like sales, one has to leave their soul behind on the job!

You sometimes get Polish lads selling bad artwork going around or travellers looking to tarmac the already tarmacced driveway.

If I'm not too busy, I like to play the "yes yes no" game with cold callers on the phone.

I did this back in1997 when it was first deregulated. We didnt bother telling those on a quantum meter that they would have to clear their debt with British Gas before they could switch over. Add this to the fact that they were mostly unemployed and therefore at home during the day, I was doing between 5-18 deals a day at £10.00 a pop. That was serious money for an 18 year old.

Now none of these deals would have actually stayed on but by the time this was discovered, Id been paid.

I've noticed a massive increase in cold caller jobs over the years.... 7 year ago I was one of them selling gas and electricity. These are a scam, the employees are actually self employed therefore no sales = no income.

Where's the scam then, I'm self employed and understand no sales = no income. :D

Back to OP, yes I've noticed a big increase. Home improvement companies mostly but also a lot of charities wanting signed up monthly donations too, some have been calling 8pm-9pm. :angry: I thought living on main road made me an easy target but my mother, living in a suburban cul-de-sac, house accessed by private drive, is also being plagued at the mo'.

Edited by Markxjr

Where's the scam then, I'm self employed and understand no sales = no income. :D

If you're useless you don't get paid. To the whiny in an entitlement culture, that's a scam.

Self-employed is a direct opposite to traditional public sector, with regular employment falling somewhere in between.