House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Job Cuts Everywhere

On a purely annecdotal basis...

A friend worked for a printing firm down south... company went bust in January. A colleague's boyfriend works for an engineering firm doing tehcnical drawing... just had his hours slashed by 50%.

And... in the county council I work for, admin staff are being cut by 50%. The window for VR applications is just about to close... so there will be a load of people losing their jobs in a month or two (mostly 40-50 year old woman of course).

A friend worked for a printing firm down south... company went bust in January. A colleague's boyfriend works for an engineering firm doing tehcnical drawing... just had his hours slashed by 50%.

And... in the county council I work for, admin staff are being cut by 50%. The window for VR applications is just about to close... so there will be a load of people losing their jobs in a month or two (mostly 40-50 year old woman of course).

Technical drawing and stuff like computer aided design has been declining since the 1980s and is the single worst industry to join because it's really small and niche now, yet there are many universities in China churning out CAD graduates it's really a joke.

As for printing company, I have two things to say about that. One is because of the internet a lot of advertising as moved to digital media so printed adverts are becoming a rarity. Secondly because so much manufacturing and business is moving to Asia, you'll find printed media is very common over here. Advertising is moving to where the money and business is, Asia.

The only reason advertising is still big in Britain is because our dumb population insist on being brainwashed into paying excessive amounts of money for brand names, corporations have taken advantage of this by making people pay for the name rather than quality of the products they sell.

Technical drawing and stuff like computer aided design has been declining since the 1980s and is the single worst industry to join because it's really small and niche now, yet there are many universities in China churning out CAD graduates it's really a joke.

As for printing company, I have two things to say about that. One is because of the internet a lot of advertising as moved to digital media so printed adverts are becoming a rarity. Secondly because so much manufacturing and business is moving to Asia, you'll find printed media is very common over here. Advertising is moving to where the money and business is, Asia.

The only reason advertising is still big in Britain is because our dumb population insist on being brainwashed into paying excessive amounts of money for brand names, corporations have taken advantage of this by making people pay for the name rather than quality of the products they sell.

I agree... I can't see where any new jobs will be created in this country. Manufacturing (of course) down the pan... call centres farmed out, retail suffering horrendously... public sector cuts in all areas...

I agree... I can't see where any new jobs will be created in this country. Manufacturing (of course) down the pan... call centres farmed out, retail suffering horrendously... public sector cuts in all areas...

The knowledge-based economy! Not.

There has been a big rise in part-time work so I'm not seeing masses of people unemployed but rather people losing their jobs and going onto lower-paid or part-time work.

So it's not that bleak from my direct experience, just a decline in disposable income.

Which will be another driver for crashing house prices :)

Even when incredible wealth is being created, like a mine opens up, relatively few jobs are created. The only way society is benefitting is through many royalties and taxes on the mine, that is then spent by local and national government employing many people.

The Tory plan of cutting back jobs in the public sector and letting the private sector pick up the slack.. is defeated soundly by the simple question you raised. Ok what industry is likely to vastly expand the number of people it employs in good jobs?

Even when incredible wealth is being created, like a mine opens up, relatively few jobs are created. The only way society is benefitting is through many royalties and taxes on the mine, that is then spent by local and national government employing many people.

The Tory plan of cutting back jobs in the public sector and letting the private sector pick up the slack.. is defeated soundly by the simple question you raised. Ok what industry is likely to vastly expand the number of people it employs in good jobs?

Yeah but are the 'bulk' of those jobs in the public sector actually needed? (directly related to service delivery). Or are there burecratic, duplicating and form filling type jobs for 37 hours a week? I doubt the private sector will pick up these type of jobs but that's the point. In the boom years budgets were rising but all that was happening was inefficiency and waste was increasing to the budgeted level. The National Audit Office among others have looked at this, and there a lots of examples where value for money did not exist.

But of course advertising to a dumb population is THE reason why Advertising is moving to China too :rolleyes:

Web content designers, one profession that has expanded in the last decade, are the previous decades printers

Overall employment numbers and the claimant count have been very solid for the last few months. Not surprised about your council.

You may wish to find out what the top level management in your council is being paid. Also how much is going out on Housing Benefit, I don’t suppose you work for Croydon…(http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=161787)

which mines are opening up in the UK?

This is not a steady decline of CAD technicians that was the draughtsman they replaced them. What is happening is a massive drop in winnable work due to a deadly mix of public sector cut backs (road projects did get a big cut back) like filling pot holes while the whole road actually needs repairs. and private sector developments (banks not willing to lend).

When you see Directors begging other Directors to give their department some work in the corridor you know the game is over for 5+ years simply due to the time it takes to get a feasibly project going down to some design. So the CAD techies get kicked out first I have seen 14 year fulltimers get dumped in 2008. 1 year later yep they close the whole department.

As we have seen with Atkins cut the techies, demand longer work hours the same pay, then make 1300 redundant. Potential work is vanishing leaving the firms with a large longterm building rental contract and a nice big business rate bill.

Your CAD mate is screwed if he is laid off, he needs to be debt free and ready for the dole or a career change with 5000 other people chasing it sadly.

Secondly because so much manufacturing and business is moving to Asia,

True, there is also technology, there exists today something called a Cafe press machine. It's like a fat photocopier. You send it two PDFs with embedded fonts, it prints the internal pages then the cover in CYMK and then binds the book in less than 3 minutes.

It effectively reduces stock on hand by 100% and requires somebody to refill the ink and paper now and again.

Suprising - from a purely ruthless and pragmatic standpoint, it would be the women aged 20-40 that I'd be keen to ease out of the door (maternity leave risk).

Overall employment numbers and the claimant count have been very solid for the last few months. Not surprised about your council.

You may wish to find out what the top level management in your council is being paid. Also how much is going out on Housing Benefit, I don’t suppose you work for Croydon…(http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=161787)

For the nth time, councils don't pay Housing Benefit out of Council Tax, they merely administer it on behalf of the DWP.

Edit to add the link for the DWP's information for local authority staff on this subject.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/local-authority-staff/housing-benefit/

Edited by Snugglybear

Web content designers, one profession that has expanded in the last decade, are the previous decades printers

As a job you mean? They are my bitch. Self employed contenting you'd cease to be a slave, you'd just become a low paid self employed person unless you had the skills to self market your content.

In fact due to automation and technology, getting a job is a mugs game. This is gonna offend a lot of people, but it has to be said that it's not particularly intelligent to work 40 hours/ week for the rest of your life in a job with no income security (which covers most jobs) and little incentives and reward for improvement, which also cover most jobs.

How many people 100 years ago were employed in television, or online media, or health clubs, or mobile communications?

How many people 100 years ago were employed in television, or online media, or health clubs, or mobile communications?

A concept that relies on constant development and change, which is playing it dangerously IMO. Do you want to always rely on someone coming up with something new to replace jobs lost elsewhere? Such development should be a bonus, not a necessity, for a long-term stable society.

A concept that relies on constant development and change, which is playing it dangerously IMO. Do you want to always rely on someone coming up with something new to replace jobs lost elsewhere? Such development should be a bonus, not a necessity, for a long-term stable society.

sorry, but the only constant in life IS change.

You like most people don't understand how jobs are created.

In its simplest form

Productivity is wealth & jobs are infinite as long as you have good laws.

So for example say somebody comes up with a drug which rests the body and has it did itself so everything is cured by this one simple drug.

Well at first thought you may think etc that's 5m people out of work! What industry could possibly replace those jobs?

It will be the service industry. Now that they don't need to pay income tax they have a lot more spare cash which they spend on services.

It's why richer countries have bigger service industries

This is not a steady decline of CAD technicians that was the draughtsman they replaced them. What is happening is a massive drop in winnable work due to a deadly mix of public sector cut backs (road projects did get a big cut back) like filling pot holes while the whole road actually needs repairs. and private sector developments (banks not willing to lend).

When you see Directors begging other Directors to give their department some work in the corridor you know the game is over for 5+ years simply due to the time it takes to get a feasibly project going down to some design. So the CAD techies get kicked out first I have seen 14 year fulltimers get dumped in 2008. 1 year later yep they close the whole department.

As we have seen with Atkins cut the techies, demand longer work hours the same pay, then make 1300 redundant. Potential work is vanishing leaving the firms with a large longterm building rental contract and a nice big business rate bill.

Your CAD mate is screwed if he is laid off, he needs to be debt free and ready for the dole or a career change with 5000 other people chasing it sadly.

And yet, in the NW, my mate is losing PDMS draughies because he cannot compete with the £50 p.h. they are chasing. I'm really not sure how good draughtsmen are out of work. CAD monkeys yes, draughtsmen, no. Still, we won't realise that Chindia are churning out millions of CAD monkeys but no draughtsmen till we've got none left and its too late. Ditto graduate engineers.

Suprising - from a purely ruthless and pragmatic standpoint, it would be the women aged 20-40 that I'd be keen to ease out of the door (maternity leave risk).

Yes, no way would anyone sane hire a woman of breeding age.

In fact the jobs are lost because someone has come up with something new. Bet the village blacksmith wasn't too happy when the car replace the horse and cart, ho more horses to shoe. Bet the night soil man wasn't too happy with the flushing loo. Bet the surgeons' handlers weren't too happy with the introduction of anaesthesia.