House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

500 Jobs Lost As Officers Club Goes Into Administration

The BBC has reported that a buyer has bought 46 of the company’s 102 UK stores, while over half must close immediately at the expense of approximately 500 jobs. Business advisors Grant Thornton International will oversee the Northumberland-founded company.

Joe McLean, Partner, Grant Thornton International, says: “The company experienced particularly challenging trading conditions in 2010 with raw material costs rising significantly.

"It was not possible to pass these increases on to customers given the extremely price sensitive nature of the UK retail arena.

wonder who the buyer was food retail giant?

No thread - perhaps job losses don't affect house prices? Week in week out 500 jobs go, 1000 jobs, 50 here, 250 there, it doesn't appear to make a difference?

Perhaps its different this time? (Ha ha!)

Funny how it is still private setor jobs that we hear about going and the public sector ones are planned to go?

Good point and it's true atm - but we are on the cusp of change and as public sector jobs are shed the whole thing will gather momentum.

Hopefully the private sector will soak up the slack in the labour market, but I'm none too confident about that given the structural problems in the UK economy.

Hopefully the private sector will soak up the slack in the labour market, but I'm none too confident about that given the structural problems in the UK economy.

Not a chance of that happening in Wales and I imagine the North, South West, Scotland are in similar positions sadly.

Not a chance of that happening in Wales and I imagine the North, South West, Scotland are in similar positions sadly.

Another good point!

It seems that the hopes (and dreams) of the UK are pinned on London and the South East - very expensive places to do business because of the price of residential and commercial property and land. Let's face it - were f*cked!! The best policy would be to try to live within our means and manage the inevitable decline - it doesn't win votes though, so expect more 'growth' orientated pipe dream policies from tptb.

wonder who the buyer was food retail giant?

Amazing that this sh1t chain kept going for so long. Officers club, now if they called it Chavscum polyester made in China crap clothes club they might still be going.

Good point and it's true atm - but we are on the cusp of change and as public sector jobs are shed the whole thing will gather momentum.

The private sector in India might.

The uk is as my dad would have said proper ******ed

Costs too high

Ill educated populace

Dominated by traitorous monopoly suppliers

No cultural identity left

Led by leaders in thrall to the kleptocrats.

Down the pan we go. I'll be advising my children to get to the USA to enjoy their last hurrah.