House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

140 Jobs Lost At Barclaycard In Card Giant's Indian Move

http://www.northampt...n_move_1_896764

"If sacking us wasnt bad enough, they then ask us if wed like to go to India for a couple of months to help train the people taking our jobs. Morale is at an all-time low. The fraud department was performing excellently. Fraud was significantly down last year and this is the thanks we get. It's frustrating to say the least."

Barclays to move 285 UK jobs to India

http://chaisamosa.ne...menu-id-386html

A total of 140 staff at Northampton-based credit card giant Barclaycard have been told they face losing their jobs as part of plans to relocate the firm's anti-fraud operation to India.

The controversial cost-cutting move, which comes just three weeks after parent company Barclays posted record profits of 11.6billion, will see the much-lauded fraud department merge with an existing centre in the Indian city of Noida.

The decision means that around 140 positions will be axed at the existing UK fraud operations, based in Pavilion Drive, Brackmills. Employees at the centre were informed yesterday and the Chron understands a series of one-to-one meetings between staff and senior managers have been scheduled for the coming days.

Vikki Williams, head of global fraud operations at Barclaycard, said: "By creating a single centre to lead the worldwide fight against fraud, we aim to improve the experience of our customers around the world who unfortunately experience fraud, while maintaining our existing excellent service and increasing efficiency.

"I've spoken to the colleagues impacted by this decision. This is a difficult time for them and we are making a comprehensive package of advice and support available to assist them to find alternative jobs."

It is believed that a number of those people losing their jobs are likely to be offered an alternative position within Barclaycard but the news hit staff hard.

guess this is it lol.

"If sacking us wasnt bad enough, they then ask us if wed like to go to India for a couple of months to help train the people taking our jobs. Morale is at an all-time low. The fraud department was performing excellently. Fraud was significantly down last year and this is the thanks we get. It's frustrating to say the least."

Barclays to move 285 UK jobs to India

http://chaisamosa.ne...menu-id-386html

One employee, who asked not to be named, said: "Morale is at an all-time low. The fraud department was performing excellently.

"Fraud was significantly down last year and this is the thanks we get. It's frustrating to say the least, particularly when it comes just a weeks after Barclays announced overall profits of 11.6billion."

But despite the widespread criticism from employees and leaders of the Unite union, the card giant remained confident the move would not result in a poorer service to customers.

A Barclaycard spokesman said: "Fraud is currently managed in individual centres within each country in which Barclaycard issues credit cards.

Edited by crash2006

Barclaycard are a bunch of knuts. I had a £12 a month subscription on my card and they wouldnt let me pay the card into credit upfront. I kept forgetting to make the payment in time and in spite of them knowing how much I have at barclays I kept getting stung with £25 late payment charges.

The £25 charge for a £12 bill was one thing but the w@nkers put late payment markers on my credit file.

I since found out that I can pay what I like to barclaycard if I do it through phoning barclays so I paid £500 and cut the card in half before the call was finished. Anyone still with a barclaycard deserves misery and anyone that will deal with barclaycard through an indian accent that they cant understand deserves to be robbed blind.

right, I will stop using mine as of now and run it at 1p credit balance

if that generates a fee, its gone

a token gesture but if enough card holders did it, the message might get through - Barclaycard is at least 80% UK afaik

Locate the fraud centre to where most of the fraud originates.

Smart move, I think not.

Amazing.

Export the most sensitive work, when and cultural and linguistic nuances of fraud where it's happening might be beneficial.

"Fraud was significantly down last year

Ah but think outside the box...

--

So moving it to where fraud originates, IS a smart idea to keep the fraud department in work. Sorry for the current UK sacrifices though.

Create the problem, provide the solution.

Amazing.

Export the most sensitive work, when and cultural and linguistic nuances of fraud where it's happening might be beneficial.

There seems to be an assumption here that Barclays are too stupid to have thought through all the negatives about this move. Isn't it in fact more likely that they understand these issues perfectly, but that the savings are so great that they will go ahead anyway?

It is this difference in the cost of staff that should be the main concern.

Ah but think outside the box...

--

So moving it to where fraud originates, IS a smart idea to keep the fraud department in work. Sorry for the current UK sacrifices though.

Create the problem, provide the solution.

I know a couple of people who have had security 'issues' with BT's customer service's staff in India. If I had a Barclay card, I'd cancel it.

There seems to be an assumption here that Barclays are too stupid to have thought through all the negatives about this move. Isn't it in fact more likely that they understand these issues perfectly, but that the savings are so great that they will go ahead anyway?

It is this difference in the cost of staff that should be the main concern.

I can't believe our latest bankster shill "the shaping machine" is still trolling for the banksters.

Give it up, will ya? Who do you think you are kidding?

Time to cut the underwater fiber optics.

I agree.

I'm beginning to think we need to put up significant trade barriers between a bloc consisting of Europe, North America, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and the rest of the world. Make the tariffs such that it is not economically viable to offshore. Yes we would have a lower quality of life (on average), but we will have a lot lower a quality if this continues (and it will if nothing is done).

I agree.

I'm beginning to think we need to put up significant trade barriers between a bloc consisting of Europe, North America, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and the rest of the world. Make the tariffs such that it is not economically viable to offshore. Yes we would have a lower quality of life (on average), but we will have a lot lower a quality if this continues (and it will if nothing is done).

Yep, that is what we need but we won't get them until there is physical Public protest in our countries against the bankers and politicians.

The bankers and politicians are profitting from this and they will not do something until the People do something.

140 Jobs Lost At Barclaycard In Card Giant's Indian Move

What can one say, the future for the younger Generation is bleak and the battle is already lost, as a friend`s Father said to me 5 years before he died, I would not have been and suffered at Dunkirk, the Allied Landings in Normandy, and my journey all the way to Germany if I knew what would happen today in this Country. I now wished I had become a Consciences Objector. We were used as cannon fodder and I feel my children and grandchildren have been conned by the all the powers that be. :(

Vikki Williams, head of global fraud operations at Barclaycard, said: "By creating a single centre to lead the worldwide fight against fraud, we aim to improve the experience of our customers around the world who unfortunately experience fraud, while maintaining our existing excellent service and increasing efficiency.

What she really meant was, "It will cuts costs in the short-term and therefore I'll be getting a great bonus. Medium to long-term it's a brain dead decision, but I don't give a sh*t as the bonus will have been banked and I'll have moved on to do the same thing somewhere else".

Barclaycard has always been a pretty rubbish card - it amazes me how it has maintained its position.

Transferring fraud control over to India also seems remarkably short-sighted. Barclays is ultimately responsible for picking up the tab for fraud and any problems with tackling fraud could outweigh the savings.

Fraud control is more of a value-added task, that you would generally think less likely to be outsourced. We will see if it works, but of course it is hard on the Northampton workers.