House Price Crash Forum
mopo

Who Gives A S*** About House Prices?

Once this bubble bursts it will take the rest of the economy with it into a recession lasting several years. By which time we will be well into the effects of peak oil, and the whole global ecomonic model which is based on perpetual growth through cheap energy will start to go into a protracted meltdown.

It will probably take a couple of hundred years for some kind of equilibrium to return, once we have downsized the population by two thirds and invented a new economic system based on renewable energy.

Everything on this website assumes continued growth, which is not going to happen.

i agree. you cant have endless growth forever unless your a malignant tumor. and even then you eventually kill your host as well as yourself. you can have growth or you can repair things. perhaps a war is required.?

Once this bubble bursts it will take the rest of the economy with it into a recession lasting several years. By which time we will be well into the effects of peak oil, and the whole global ecomonic model which is based on perpetual growth through cheap energy will start to go into a protracted meltdown.

It will probably take a couple of hundred years for some kind of equilibrium to return, once we have downsized the population by two thirds and invented a new economic system based on renewable energy.

Everything on this website assumes continued growth, which is not going to happen.

Alot of people on this site are fully aware of the situation and the counter measures that we are likely to see. Plus alot of us know that there is alot we dont know about it. You'll probably be suprised at what gets pulled out of the hat.

Alot of people on this site are fully aware of the situation and the counter measures that we are likely to see. Plus alot of us know that there is alot we dont know about it. You'll probably be suprised at what gets pulled out of the hat.

Got any examples?

Well.. you say.. "A lot of people on this site are fully aware of the situation" and " the counter measures that we are likely to see" and.. "Plus alot of us know that there is alot we dont know about it" and.."You'll probably be suprised at what gets pulled out of the hat"

Are you alluding to a new source of energy that the rest of us know's nothing about?

Well.. you say.. "A lot of people on this site are fully aware of the situation" and " the counter measures that we are likely to see" and.. "Plus alot of us know that there is alot we dont know about it" and.."You'll probably be suprised at what gets pulled out of the hat"

Are you alluding to a new source of energy that the rest of us know's nothing about?

I think he is alluding to the view held by many posters that fiat currency is doomed and the day of reckoning is within our lifetimes. Most of this view are taking refuge in gold as a store of their wealth.

As for the unknowns, I think the Chuz is being his sensible self and admitting that most of what will happen in the future is unknowable by anyone.

of things from the hat ?

I dont know , thats the suprise about it.

Standard recession / depression does not mean the end of the world. People will be forced to cut back, manufacturers will be forced to be less wasteful.

Energy crisis - the government could spend a few billion and force solar power i.e solar panels on every roof top. Have all the houses on 1 street linked to a central battery, have that battery connected to a network of other batteries linking the nation. It could get and build wind farms - people kick up a face about them being ugly at the moment, they wont be so ugly when you dont have any electricity or have to pay a massive amount for it. People will have to accept the current conditions and trade off some of thier luxurys.

Peak oil - It will rebalance itself, when it gets so expensive people will use less - yes thats right you will have to get your fat a** onto a push bike to go to work 15 miles away .. dont want to? then pay a ridiculous amount of money in tax for petrol .. cant afford to? then get a job closer to home. Industry suffers - build basic accomadation on company land.

Its not the end of the world, things will change but it wont be the end, people need to realise that we will adapt and overcome its what we humans do.

Im not saying it wont be a pain but you will overcome the problems, cant afford a new T-shirt then make the old one last, cant afford gucci then dont buy it.

Cant afford electricty then switch off the lights, use a smaller freezer - you dont need that walk in american style thing anyways.

Etc etc, not the end of the known world - hydrogen power will increase, solar commuter cars will increase, little scooter lanes will be on the roads for commuters, airliners will scale back on extra bits i.e easy jet.

Tax's will be in place to regulate oil consumption, tax breaks for using something else - we start to see this already with government grants for solar projects.

There is loads that can be done - people will kick and scream about it loads but they will have to do it.

Government tracking of vehicles (like the road tax scheme) could be used to target tax people who use loads of petrol on the school run, unless you pick up other children on the way.

These are just my view on it at the moment, im sure i could put alot more thought into it and come up with a better argument.

i think gloria gaynor sums it up nicely.

first i was afraid - i was petrified.

thinking i could never live with you by my side.

i spend oh so many nights just thinking how you did me wrong

but i grew strong. and i learned how to get along...

i, i will survive..."

is this what you mean thechuz ?

I think he is alluding to the view held by many posters that fiat currency is doomed and the day of reckoning is within our lifetimes. Most of this view are taking refuge in gold as a store of their wealth.

As for the unknowns, I think the Chuz is being his sensible self and admitting that most of what will happen in the future is unknowable by anyone.

Taking refuge in gold assumes that things are going to get better at some point. Can't really see things returning to perpetual growth somehow. Not in our lifetime anyway.

More a better use of what we have already, thats basically all a recession is for anyways, it weeds out the crap. Same will happen with oil, there will be cutbacks and better use of what resources we have.

And guess what i bet oil giants are thinking ahead a little bit, they probably have the money for the 'next best thing' too.

Im not one for "they wont let it happen" but i think things need to be kept in perspective. Tough times for sure, mad max times - i think not.

all imho

i, i will survive..."

:lol: you got it fred, sums it up nicely, you could of saved me a lot of typing, think faster in the future will ya :lol:

More a better use of what we have already, thats basically all a recession is for anyways, it weeds out the crap. Same will happen with oil, there will be cutbacks and better use of what resources we have.

And guess what i bet oil giants are thinking ahead a little bit, they probably have the money for the 'next best thing' too.

Im not one for "they wont let it happen" but i think things need to be kept in perspective. Tough times for sure, mad max times - i think not.

all imho

:lol: you got it fred, sums it up nicely, you could of saved me a lot of typing, think faster in the future will ya :lol:

So, to get back to my original point.. what's all this going to do to house prices? Anyone who thinks we are going to carry on with the usual boom and bust cycle is living in cloud cookoo land (imho).

Taking refuge in gold assumes that things are going to get better at some point. Can't really see things returning to perpetual growth somehow. Not in our lifetime anyway.

So i take it your not saving any money, your not looking to buy a house (one wonders what led you here), that we are all doomed and should probably just give up ?

Im not having a pop at you in anyway btw, and peak oil +recession / depression is a serious topic for discussion, but at the moment in my humble opinion it does not warrant a doomsday meltdown scenario. Im fully open to being convinced otherwise.

Oh and dont get me wrong , its good to have some new lines of thinking comming through :)

So, to get back to my original point.. what's all this going to do to house prices? Anyone who thinks we are going to carry on with the usual boom and bust cycle is living in cloud cookoo land (imho).

That would suggest its differnt this time :) Hey, i just think your a little early, when we reach the bottom of this cycle you will have loads of support with your theories - it will be as if property can never recover and peak oil could well be the main talking point. Your ahead of your time is all :)

Personally if i havnt bought by that time then talk like that will be the clear signal to me to buy.

EDITED:

Oh and the fact that things will get messy is why people buy gold, its a safe haven when the economies turn to poo.

Edited by theChuz

are these the very times we read about in fiction ?

perhaps a meltdown mad max IS coming. bladerunner at best. the top cops were complaining about a projected loss of order by 2015 only this week. i see a government with no long term plans and lots of population age problems. financial problems. climate problems. energy problems and fundemental culture problems.

and this being bathnight on top of that : (

come back tommy walsh and groundforce. all is forgiven.

I completely understand that the end of civilisation as we know it is a difficult one to take on board. That's why so many people are in denial. Things are going to totally change. I wish i was wrong.

are these the very times we read about in fiction ?

perhaps a meltdown mad max IS coming. bladerunner at best. the top cops were complaining about a projected loss of order by 2015 only this week. i see a government with no long term plans and lots of population age problems. financial problems. climate problems. energy problems and fundemental culture problems.

and this being bathnight on top of that : (

come back tommy walsh and groundforce. all is forgiven.

Loss of order? some little sh*te has just reved the crap out of his mini moto up the road....

Danish island of 7000 just on news now,

we would like to show the world .. cant type fast enough

solar power = Heating water 40%.

3 100 feet wind turbines = 60% of electricity

Ethonol from organic matter = petrol

Biogas - getting rid of waste disposal problem

Nearly completly self sufficient energy

Umm ive been side tracked :lol:

I completely understand that the end of civilisation as we know it is a difficult one to take on board. That's why so many people are in denial. Things are going to totally change. I wish i was wrong.

What would you suggest to people to prepare themselves?

[quote name=What would you suggest to people to prepare themselves?

Get out of debt. Join a small self sufficient community. Invest in some effective weapons.

and hand on heart is this what you will be doing.

Probably not :)

Its a mess and it will get worse, and you will have alot of support for your ideas in the not to distant future, for me though its time to batten down the hatches and make sure i am in a financial position to take advantage of the situtation.

Anyways its nearly 2 am and i got work tommorow so its time for some shut eye.

for me though its time to batten down the hatches and make sure i am in a financial position to take advantage of the situtation.

If it wasn't for peak oil, I'd agree with you.

Guest pioneer31
i agree. you cant have endless growth forever unless your a malignant tumor. and even then you eventually kill your host as well as yourself. you can have growth or you can repair things. perhaps a war is required.?

you're the amber gambler :lol:

have you been on tv ark?

Edited by pioneer31

Peak oil is way off. There is loads of exploitable oil held in shale in Canada and Alberta. On some measures Canada has more crude oil than Saudi Arabia. The only problem with extracting it has been cost, but if regular crude is $60 a barrel then it becomes economic so even if Saudi oil ran out in 5 years then the world would keep ticking over at $60-80 per barrel.

I recently saw a programme with Ray Mears in Lapland.

He met many Sami tribesmen and women. These people were self sufficient and eeking a living in the most hostile of environments.

What was going through my head apart from admiration was that these people are the only ones I'd bet on surviving a complete economic and social meltdown.

NDL

Got any examples?

As we know,

There are known knowns

There are things we know we know.

We also know

There are known unknowns.

That is to say

We know there are some things

We do not know.

But there are also unknown unknowns,

The ones we don't know

We don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld —Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defense :D

i, i will survive..."

The Alien Song video

Love it :D

As we know,

There are known knowns

There are things we know we know.

We also know

There are known unknowns.

That is to say

We know there are some things

We do not know.

But there are also unknown unknowns,

The ones we don't know

We don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld —Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defense :D

The Alien Song video

Love it :D

Sorry if this sounds pedantic but this is actually closer to reality than it sounds. Although Rumsfeld says it in a rather clumsy way he is actually talking about a complex but well known socio-scientific theory.