House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

225K Asking Price Drop

Needs doing up.

Too big for a retirement couple, so would assume it would require a job which is going to support the suitably large mortgage/running costs it requires. Any big money employers in Swansea?

Needs doing up.

Too big for a retirement couple, so would assume it would require a job which is going to support the suitably large mortgage/running costs it requires. Any big money employers in Swansea?

Yes, loads.

NHS Wales

Swansea Uni

Swansea Council

DVLA

HMRC Tax Office

:unsure:

Yes, loads.

:unsure:

Ho hum

Would I be correct in assuming that there are a whole load of dog eared country piles in the vicinity sitting on rightmove and mysteriously failing to attract offers?

Ho hum

Would I be correct in assuming that there are a whole load of dog eared country piles in the vicinity sitting on rightmove and mysteriously failing to attract offers?

Oddly enough, yes.

Friends were in Bath this week and commented that Bath asking prices are cheaper or you get a lot more for the average price.

Just put SA2 in and look in a 5 radius on RM.

Here you go

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^2268&insId=1&radius=5.0&displayPropertyType=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&retirement=&partBuyPartRent=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&x=22&y=11&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false

Edited by The Masked Tulip

My God.

The levels of delusion are eye watering. I don't understand how any house in Swansea could possibly sell for more than £500k. Where are the jobs to support it?

Welcome to my life.

An estate agent told me only this week that he now realises that the only jobs safe in the city are GPs and surgeons.

He seemed quite depressed.

I would argue that 90% of the people selling houses today in Swansea probably could not afford to buy them if they were just trying to buy their first home or trade up today.

Alas, that does not stop them being delusional and many of the EAs aid them in the delusion.

I know of a pretty average house near me on for 270K asking but the son and daughter who inherited 2 years ago are adamant that it is worth 350K despite no house in the road ever selling for over 300K!

Dont know - its a hideous house, from the cheapest Upvc windows fitted, to the grim grey paint, but thats all remedied. Its the land that makes it.

This appears to have no land and is much the same price.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28355521.html

Yeah, but 20 acres of pasture land. What's that worth? 100k? Who are they going to find who is going to generate an income from it that justifies the asking?

Welcome to my life.

No wonder you are turning into a depressed bull! AFAIC I don't see why Swansea prices should be any different to West Midlands/North of England prices. Ok, Swansea is (I assume) more attractive, but end of the day there's got to be the jobs to support it. Where the bloody hell are they?

No wonder you are turning into a depressed bull! AFAIC I don't see why Swansea prices should be any different to West Midlands/North of England prices. Ok, Swansea is (I assume) more attractive, but end of the day there's got to be the jobs to support it. Where the bloody hell are they?

The beaches are stunning.

I think 2 things happened here.

1. A Daily Mail writer bought a house here about circa 2004 and then began writing in her column about how wonderful the beaches/countryside are.

As a result loads of bankers and other Londoners bought second homes here not only driving up the prices of the stuff they were buying but sucking up all the other prices higher.

They apear mostly desperate to sell now.

2. Public Sector wages boom under Brown and Blair.

So now we have plenty of Gower houses where the second home owners are desperate to sell but either they are unwilling to drop their asking price or they are unable to do so. Or they are just greedy.

I think some EAs go down Swansea West and the Gower and just value boom 2007 prices and add on a percentage IMPO.

Yeah, but 20 acres of pasture land. What's that worth? 100k? Who are they going to find who is going to generate an income from it that justifies the asking?

Sure, land on its own in the middle of nowhere isnt of great value, but when its attached to a property, that usually commands a lot more, even without any planning permissions. Not saying £650k isnt overpriced, but lets say £250k for the house, £200k for the land...

Maybe...

back in my miss-spent youth my second job after leaving University was working as a programmer on the 'new' DVLA driver and vehicle licencing system - early seventies then - and worked in Swansea (really an oversized town then) and had a bed-sit (happy days) in Mumbles - as I remember it Mumbles was nothing special and the only saving grace was the lovely Gower coast. From looking at the huge 'executive' houses now for sale at ludicrous prices I can only assume that someone somewhere sold the area to property developers and the well heeled second home brigade.

would not live there now and certainly not in a 'grand designs' pseudo art deco mansion ;)

Welcome to my life.

An estate agent told me only this week that he now realises that the only jobs safe in the city are GPs and surgeons.

He seemed quite depressed.

I would argue that 90% of the people selling houses today in Swansea probably could not afford to buy them if they were just trying to buy their first home or trade up today.

Alas, that does not stop them being delusional and many of the EAs aid them in the delusion.

I know of a pretty average house near me on for 270K asking but the son and daughter who inherited 2 years ago are adamant that it is worth 350K despite no house in the road ever selling for over 300K!

I narrowed your search to meet the price of a house that has come on the market today nearer to me.

These are in your area

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^2268&minPrice=450000&maxPrice=475000&radius=5.0&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on

This is the house near me

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^16037&insId=1&minPrice=450000&maxPrice=475000&minBedrooms=4&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on

Do you feel better now?

No, because the one you have posted near me is basically a flat at the top of a steep hill in a former student digs.

No, because the one you have posted near me is basically a flat at the top of a steep hill in a former student digs.

Doh!! I knew you would dwell on the flat instead of some of the detached houses for the same price as my semi :0(

OK then I will take you on with a property around the £1m mark

You have this for £895,000:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26446763.html

I have this for £1,175,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-32356286.html

You are in a cheap area aren't you?

Doh!! I knew you would dwell on the flat instead of some of the detached houses for the same price as my semi :0(

OK then I will take you on with a property around the £1m mark

You have this for £895,000:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26446763.html

I have this for £1,175,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-32356286.html

You are in a cheap area aren't you?

I think it's a score draw personally, they're both pretty nasty for the px. I guess photo 12 of 12 on http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-32356286.html slightly shades it, as you could possibly be in Rio or Sao Paulo in that pic.