House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bumpy

Lets Help The Young Find Employment

Finding a job is essentially supply and demand, so lets give the youngsters some guidance into the sort of jobs they can train for, that will put them in demand.

I will kick off with plumber. They are so much in demand that you cant find one at the right price or time.

I salute you on the notion!

Plumber? Is it true that this is something people shuold go into, still? When everybody raves about something, I think it is nearing saturation point, e/g/ moving to Australia, buying gold, becoming a plumber. I thought foreigners coming over to do the same job were pushing wages down?

I also hear wild claims about the money that can be made. I don't know whether to believe these - I think they are perhaps just 2-5% of the cases. However if true, I should leave engineering and become a plumber!

Although engineering wont pay incredibly well (compared to being a lawyer etc.. .and again I'm not sure exactly what to believe there)... I would probably still recommend it. It's enjoyable, you get to design stuff, and the pay is decent. You learn a lot about a lot of things.

I salute you on the notion!

Plumber? Is it true that this is something people shuold go into, still? When everybody raves about something, I think it is nearing saturation point, e/g/ moving to Australia, buying gold, becoming a plumber. I thought foreigners coming over to do the same job were pushing wages down?

I also hear wild claims about the money that can be made. I don't know whether to believe these - I think they are perhaps just 2-5% of the cases. However if true, I should leave engineering and become a plumber!

Although engineering wont pay incredibly well (compared to being a lawyer etc.. .and again I'm not sure exactly what to believe there)... I would probably still recommend it. It's enjoyable, you get to design stuff, and the pay is decent. You learn a lot about a lot of things.

def should do something you like - providing you can make ends meet

and outside the glitzy roles plenty of lawyers AFAIK earn in the region of 30k

in simple terms - you need to do something that cannot be outsourced to India/Chine easily - otherwise wages and job satisfaction will be poor

ie currently many basic IT and accounting rolls are poor if generically skilled - you need tangible business knowledge in these areas to get a decent (and by decent I mean fulfilling not necessarily well paid) work in the UK in them, or specific application to a burgeoning skilled export or service role, same thing really.

other options are: services (hard to outsource, say, car showrooms, restaurants, train driving, to Indian graduates)

and additionally: so well skilled that China and India simply don't produce the staff to do this yet - actuarials, uni research/lecturing/support, good engineering jobs

plumbing has done well, as building has, off the back of the property boom; not sure it will continue. I would avoid bread and butter graduate public sector jobs as I think they are screwed and it will be a bad place to work for some time - except that which engages in looking after the old, so healthcare, after a few wobbles, may be pretty good in the med-long term

just my guess