House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Can You Get Divorced Without Using A Solicitor? Even If The Other Party Is?

A relative is getting a divorce, they are currently in a bit of financial debt and I presume their partner is getting legal aid and they've been issued with a letter stating they are going to petition for divorce.

Currently the relative is unable to afford a solicitor due to existing debts, would they qualify for legal aid or can you get divorced without you needing a solicitor and not get shafted. The letter starting all this does clearly state that they are seeking a quick amicable divorce although I'm aware solicitors can speak with fork tongues as can vengeful spouses.

Anyone on here got divorced without spending money on legal representation?

What do you need to look out for in the shafting department?

A relative is getting a divorce, they are currently in a bit of financial debt and I presume their partner is getting legal aid and they've been issued with a letter stating they are going to petition for divorce.

Currently the relative is unable to afford a solicitor due to existing debts, would they qualify for legal aid or can you get divorced without you needing a solicitor and not get shafted. The letter starting all this does clearly state that they are seeking a quick amicable divorce although I'm aware solicitors can speak with fork tongues as can vengeful spouses.

I think you can get a drive through divorce in Reno

Yes. I did it in 1999, using documentation I got through my local court. It may now be obtainable online. The forms come with detailed instructions on filling them out. However, we had no kids, our son being 25 at the time.

I believe it's not possible to do this if there are children involved.

Loads of DIY divorce form sites seem to have sprung up - you needn't use them, as a visit to your local court will provide the forms free, and anyone with half a brain can complete them and take them back to court with the prescribed fee to start proceedings. I believe it cost me around £80 in 1999, with a further £30 or so for the decree absolute.

Wish them luck.

As above - but with a kid. Have to agree on child situation and money split - if you can do that though you don't need a solicitor.

Yes. I did it in 1999, using documentation I got through my local court. It may now be obtainable online. The forms come with detailed instructions on filling them out. However, we had no kids, our son being 25 at the time.

I believe it's not possible to do this if there are children involved.

Loads of DIY divorce form sites seem to have sprung up - you needn't use them, as a visit to your local court will provide the forms free, and anyone with half a brain can complete them and take them back to court with the prescribed fee to start proceedings. I believe it cost me around £80 in 1999, with a further £30 or so for the decree absolute.

Wish them luck.

Sorry to hear about that...

But this is a revelation. You don't have to go through an expensive legal system? Music to my ears (though hope I never come across the situation)

B&Q are offering 20% off everthing during the next bank holiday weekend.

Multi-purpose Shovel £8

Paving slabs x 12 (Depending on her size) £60

6 pack of beer & Microwave Chicken Korma £11.50...

:ph34r:

Multi-purpose Shovel £8

Those slabs are a handy price. I've got the wife loading three dozen into the pick-up right now...

I DIY divorced a few years back, still on good terms with my ex.

One child involved, agreed joint custody and 50/50 split of assets. No solicitor, minimal grief, and, most important, a lot easier for our child than having warring parents and a tug-of-war. The court simply rubber-stamped it, we did not even need to attend. Obviously, not possible in every divorce case.

I asked about which solicitors we might use, and was told 'any in the town, except Mr X and Mr Y'. Apparently X and Y stir things up between the divorcing couple so they end up paying hundreds in solicitors bills over who owns a dinner plate and so on.

So going to a solicitor could conceivably made things worse. Divorce can be civilised. And we didn't end up with recriminations and bitterness.

Multi-purpose Shovel £8

:lol: Superb

As above - but with a kid. Have to agree on child situation and money split - if you can do that though you don't need a solicitor.

THe split of assets, agreements on child maintenance AFAIK is separate from the actual divorce itself.