House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JPJPJP

How Good Are The Trains Round Your Way?

Apparently the new bonus scheme for the Directors at Network Rail can deliver 60%

That would give the CEO a bonus of £336k on his £560k base pay

From the DM article

To qualify for the annual bonus, directors must meet two objectives relating to train punctuality and the condition of the infrastructure. The Office of Rail Regulation’s annual assessment of performance will 'inform' the remuneration committee's judgement:'Failure to meet targets in these areas will normally mean no bonus being awarded.'

If these hurdles are passed, directors will be measured against six 'business goals' - each making up 10% of the potential award:'In addition the remuneration committee will exercise structured discretion taking into account safety as well as passenger, customer and supplier views.'

The existing long-term incentive plan has been scrapped and replaced with a long-term gain-share scheme that rewards 'extraordinary performance.'

Mr Russell noted that the new long-term scheme will only reward sustained performance that 'exceeds targets and expectations'

I suppose it has to be an improvement on the last regime that led to things like...

As the country's highest paid public official, Mr Coucher received £7million in salary and bonuses over eight years. He also enjoyed a car allowance which he used to fund an Aston Martin, and a £20,000 housing allowance for a flat overlooking Regent's Park.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1372074/New-rail-fat-cat-row-60-cent-bonuses-approved-Network-Rail-directors.html#ixzz1IFgaQB8I

Anyway, I suppose they are worth it, after all the trains here are so much better than anywhere else in the world

The trains here (South Western?) from Alton to London are OK.

It's pitifully slow. Even on straight sections it just ambles along at about 40 to 50mph and it takes forever.

But it is clean and mostly on time.

On the other hand, the WAGN trains from Harlow to London were shabby and filthy (it isn't clean just because the obvious rubbish has been picked up - try running your finger round the edge of the window or having a look at the filth under the tables where the mop doesn't quite reach) and the whole thing creaks horribly from metal fatigue.

Both are horrifically expensive. A return from Hook (Hants) to London in the rush hour wasn't far shy of £50. For my thankfully rare meetings in Central London, I drive if I can.

Guest eight

Apparently the new bonus scheme for the Directors at Network Rail can deliver 60%

As the country's highest paid public official, Mr Coucher received £7million in salary and bonuses over eight years. He also enjoyed a car allowance which he used to fund an Aston Martin, and a £20,000 housing allowance for a flat overlooking Regent's Park.

To be fair, he did well to get one for that.....

I guess we are talking per month, or something?

eight

Where I live the provider is Scotrail, and in particular its the Glasgow suburban network which I use.

I don't use the trains that frequently, but whenever I do they are almost always on-time and provide a pretty good service.

Based on my limited use of their services they seem to be doing a good job.

They can pay themselves whatever they like if they manage to deliver reliable on-time trains, running at useful times, at a sensible price, which aren't overcrowded and / or uncomfortable to use, from well-maintained stations. Not a single penny of bonus should be given until all of those have been achieved (which probably means never).

On the odd occasion I've used them around this way they've been on time at least, with a massive variety on slow or fast depending on which line it's been (but speed isn't something that interests me at all in train travel).

To be honest on South Eastern (or whatever it's called this week) the trains are on the whole pretty decent. Run on time for the most part and tend to be clean.

They are however over crowded and the cost of a ticket is seriously high.

To be honest on South Eastern (or whatever it's called this week) the trains are on the whole pretty decent. Run on time for the most part and tend to be clean.

The train that I used to use occasionally (when it was still possible to get a sensibly-priced ticket) to visit my parents used to be a proper full-length thing. Last time I tried it was three carriages long, with quite possibly the same number of people trying to get on it. Certainly no bonuses are deserved until that sort of thing is reversed.

Manchester to Oldham line has been closed whilst they turn it into tram tracks.

Previously every autumn they would reduce the service massively so they could get up t'hill cos of the leaves on the lines.

I have email assurances that the trams will not have this same problem.

Previously every autumn they would reduce the service massively so they could get up t'hill cos of the leaves on the lines.

And what takes them so long to do that? If it's like the other "tram" lines in Manchester they won't be putting any new rails in, other than where they turn off the original line onto the tram. Converting rail into tram comes high up on the list of "What's the point?" It may be less prone to leaves; trams do seem to get up hills better than trains. Just keeping lineside vegetation down would probably have been a cheaper and less inconvenient way of doing that though.

From memory they are usually on time and get you from A to B.

The problem is they are so expensive I haven't taken one for years. Pity because some times it would be nice.. Like next week when I will drive 3 hours to Glasgow.

Just not worth paying £150 odd quid for the privilege.

From memory they are usually on time and get you from A to B.

The problem is they are so expensive I haven't taken one for years. Pity because some times it would be nice.. Like next week when I will drive 3 hours to Glasgow.

Just not worth paying £150 odd quid for the privilege.

You can sometimes get what are almost reasonable fares - if you book ludicrously far in advance, and get very lucky.

I honestly can't understand the "trains to trams" logic! :blink:

+1

Paying £70 for a return and getting to stand for 70 minutes each way is an almighty ripoff, even if the train is on time.