House Price Crash Forum

From Renting Driveways To Baking Cakes:

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

That was because the internet didn't "exist" in most people's lives.

People have ALWAYS domne these money saving things. What's new is that they now discuss them on social internet sites.

tim

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.telegraph...sh.html?image=2

I can't recall seeing an article like this even in the early 1990s.

Black market I bet.

She will have a legal duty of care for the rented space and its content.

She will need insurance.

She will need to keep accounts and paperwork for 6 years.

She is a small business.

the cupcake business boomed in the US while everyone and their kids got involved.

the odd thing, is that entreprenuerial activity is what starts teh recovery as people are forced to get money to eat and pay the rent. No doubt if she lost her main income and needed to pay the mortgage, SMI would have allowed her to carry on watching J.Kyle and sit back booking holidays.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Black market I bet.

She will have a legal duty of care for the rented space and its content.

She will need insurance.

She will need to keep accounts and paperwork for 6 years.

She is a small business.

the cupcake business boomed in the US while everyone and their kids got involved.

the odd thing, is that entreprenuerial activity is what starts teh recovery as people are forced to get money to eat and pay the rent. No doubt if she lost her main income and needed to pay the mortgage, SMI would have allowed her to carry on watching J.Kyle and sit back booking holidays.

Wonder if the cake baker applied for and received planning permission from the local council, which she is required to do by law if using her home kitchen for any type of catering business? She then also needs to pay business rates on the premises.

I was curious about regulations for home catering businesses, so did a google search and found a handy 40-page publication from some government department with a list of all the regulations you need to meet if you plan on selling even one cupcake. The entire process appears to be designed to maximize the number of people working for the local council and minimize the number of people actually in business. It's a complete joke.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/startingup.pdf

HOLA4412

This reminds me of the episode on Grand Designs when the family sp*nked more than twice the budget on their 'dream home'. Their mortgage was so colossal they didn't know how they were going to make ends meet and they needed to raise a further XX thousand to complete the work. So the mother started popping chillies into bottles and pouring cheap olive oil into them to sell at Borough market for a profit of about £100 for slaving away for a whole week.

Edited by MinceBalls

HOLA4413

I detest aricles like this anyway. Why not make money by doign a paper round, walking the dogs, getting a second job, teaching an instrument... give me a break.

I agree , why should drivers give money to poor people for parking when they could give it to multinational corporations or friendly councils? :lol:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

all the regulations you need to meet if you plan on selling even one cupcake.

I suspect The Man will turn a blind eye to people selling the odd cake for pocket money, in the same way they do for people selling a few things on ebay or car boots and not paying income tax.

I hope they do anyway, society benefits from people selling things small time. It seems to happen far more in France and I love it.

HOLA4416

Just another rentier charging people for social value (proximity to a rugby stadium) she had no part in creating.

Sounds like a good idea to me - I get to park near Twickenham, she gets extra money.

Or to put it another way, how else would you allocate space near Twickenham excepy by money?

(Plus you had no part in creating yourself, but i'm sure you are happy to charge for your time spent working! ;) )