House Price Crash Forum
yer_maw

Excluded Occupier

I went to view a room in a flat today. Was pretty amazing location and decor. The only problem is that the landlord will be living there. I have since found out that if you are renting a room in a house you are an excluded occupier and have zero rights and no deposit protection! WTF!

I will wait and see what sort of contract is drawn up if im offered it. But i have a sneaking suspicion they might not be the sole owner of the house. Maybe a guarantor or a parent on the mortgage. I will be asking to see proof of ownership, if they dont have full ownership does it have to be an AST?

Any further advice? I realise being excluded occupier could be terrible, but for some reason the jobs seem to be where there are f all houses. Smart move country planners.

Edited by yer_maw

I went to view a room in a flat today. Was pretty amazing location and decor. The only problem is that the landlord will be living there. I have since found out that if you are renting a room in a house you are an excluded occupier and have zero rights and no deposit protection! WTF!

I will wait and see what sort of contract is drawn up if im offered it. But i have a sneaking suspicion they might not be the sole owner of the house. Maybe a guarantor or a parent on the mortgage. I will be asking to see proof of ownership, if they dont have full ownership does it have to be an AST?

Any further advice? I realise being excluded occupier could be terrible, but for some reason the jobs seem to be where there are f all houses. Smart move country planners.

Yep, just make sure you have a written contract and find the terms acceptable.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/private_tenancies/excluded_occupiers

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/eviction_of_private_tenants/eviction_procedures/eviction_of_excluded_occupiers

Just because you don't have an AST and hence your deposit protected in a TDS, it doesn't mean the landlord can just filch your deposit. You'd just have to take them to small claims court like everyone had to do untilt he recent past.

As you are subletting I wouldn't ask about proof of ownership - this is just going to put the owner in a bad mood, and you are going to have to live with him/her. Probably the most important thing is whether the landlord seems like the sort of person you could get on with.