House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Call Centres In Bristol And Newport To Move To India

From the start when Kunt & Co decided to print anf inflate their way out of the responsiblity for the mess of their own making I said that this would only kick statrt more offshoring.

It will conitnue now till the economy collapses again - this time with no respite as everybod has been buried under the ton of shit and inflation from the central bank.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12919678

Call centres in Bristol and Newport to move to India

Yell logo Yell call centres in Bristol and Newport are proposed to close

Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

* Boss departure hits Yell shares

The Yell call centres in Bristol and Newport are proposed to close as part of plans to axe up to 341 permanent jobs in the UK.

A company spokesman said the work would be moved to India, citing the economic climate and the shift from print to digital media as the reasons.

He said about 100 permanent employees were at risk of redundancy in Bristol and 45 in Newport.

Seventy-eight jobs are at risk in Reading and about 60 in Glasgow.

The proposals are subject to a 90-day consultation period.

My new pint size version of yellow pages remains in it's shrink wrap and will probably be binned in that same unopened state- google ate their lunch while they were trying to decide what to do about it.

From the start when Kunt & Co decided to print anf inflate their way out of the responsiblity for the mess of their own making I said that this would only kick statrt more offshoring.

It will conitnue now till the economy collapses again - this time with no respite as everybod has been buried under the ton of shit and inflation from the central bank.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12919678

Call centres in Bristol and Newport to move to India

Yell logo Yell call centres in Bristol and Newport are proposed to close

Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

* Boss departure hits Yell shares

The Yell call centres in Bristol and Newport are proposed to close as part of plans to axe up to 341 permanent jobs in the UK.

A company spokesman said the work would be moved to India, citing the economic climate and the shift from print to digital media as the reasons.

He said about 100 permanent employees were at risk of redundancy in Bristol and 45 in Newport.

Seventy-eight jobs are at risk in Reading and about 60 in Glasgow.

The proposals are subject to a 90-day consultation period.

Did that "Tax heist of the century" that Osborne was rumoured to be planning go through?

Corporations paying tax here can offset the costs of their foreign bases against their UK tax?

If so, now must be a great time to set-up abroad and have us pay for the costs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/07/tax-city-heist-of-century

My new pint size version of yellow pages remains in it's shrink wrap and will probably be binned in that same unopened state- google ate their lunch while they were trying to decide what to do about it.

Google is pretty poor though if looking for things like local tradespeople - which I suspect back of local newspapers or a small local directory like Dentons are the first port of call after word of mouth.

Don't know if Google's search is poorly setup for that kind of requirement or tradespeople are missing a trick by not have a decent SEO website.

I wish the ones in Derby would f off.

MAS - Mortgage advise solutions, cold calling!

I don't want a blooming mortgage!

Cold calling by phone for mortgage busines is illegal , if you are getting it report it.

Are these more of the private sector jobs that Dave was banging on about? Just re-read ... private sector jobs off to India. We are all in it together.

What did you think the trade mission to India was doing? The U.K. is sunk. If a job can be offshored it will be. The Government will give Serco and Capita the chance to do the same to those in the public sector.

There will be no growth for people but those at the top will be enriched.

Perfect

Sorry I thought that Dave was the UK PM and that he was trying to say that Britain was 'open for business' and companies should set up and do stuff here so that we can export things and make money. Clearly the only exports he is creating consists of jobs. Still increased profits and bonuses for the execs ... and that is all that really matters.

Well we all thought different things that Dave was and what he stood for , after a year of little action and many U turns I have come to the conclusion that Dave is not sure who he is or what he stands for.

What did you think the trade mission to India was doing? The U.K. is sunk. If a job can be offshored it will be.

That's why the pound needs to sink to a level at which such activity is not profitable.

Ultimately the value of the pound will reflect some combination of:

* the education of the UK workforce

* the stability of british institutions which guarantee property rights and provide infrastructure valued by individuals and businesses

* the income inequality of britain. Lower income inequality will sooner or later support a stronger pound, and will sooner or later result in affordable housing.

We need to start from square one, which is a very cheap pound.

Those thinking that interest rate hikes will substitute for any of the above are total fools.

Who should I report it too?

The number and time of call I recorded...

Thanks

Trading standards , if they phone again keep them talking and try and get their address and any contact info , pretend you are interested and ask them to send you a quote ( although they very often do not send the quotes ) they are looking for people in high debt but with equity in their homes then they stitch them up with a really high cost remortgage and if the person does not pay they repo the house .

CUN-S.

The Employees of UK plc have no spunk today, they will watch as their future is stolen from them. The starting point came into effect from 1985 on-wards, the time I became self employed and started my own Company. I told customers my price was not inflated and was fair, I asked did they reduce their prices to get a contract, no they did not finally agreeing to my price and quote. Thank you. :rolleyes:

A certain percentage of call centres in Oz are offshored to India and the Philipines. The moment I hear a particular accent on the other end, I know I am going to have a really hard time. No cultural awareness, and working to a very inflexible script. I don't think businesses truly understand just what sort of damage they do by using bargain bucket points of contact. A good call centre experience goes a long way to keeping my custom through "bad times."

A certain percentage of call centres in Oz are offshored to India and the Philipines. The moment I hear a particular accent on the other end, I know I am going to have a really hard time. No cultural awareness, and working to a very inflexible script. I don't think businesses truly understand just what sort of damage they do by using bargain bucket points of contact. A good call centre experience goes a long way to keeping my custom through "bad times."

Golden rule of offshoring; keep control of your customer contact.

Schoolboy error by Yell and actually a really good indicator that things are very bad on the balance sheet.

There's actually very little offshoring in Australia by comparison to the UK and certainly very few success stories. I'm here to help change that though. Any CEOs who are interested can PM me. ;-)

Guest The Relaxation Suite

Welsh Unis are about to announce job cuts according to BBC Wales this evening.

They've been cutting for a while. As to the broader point - out-sourcing etc was inevitable decades ago. This mess isn't all down to the "GFC". In fact much of the GFC was simply symptoms of the main problem rather than the cause.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

Schoolboy error by Yell and actually a really good indicator that things are very bad on the balance sheet.

There's actually very little offshoring in Australia by comparison to the UK and certainly very few success stories. I'm here to help change that though. Any CEOs who are interested can PM me. ;-)

Edited by Tecumseh

Google is pretty poor though if looking for things like local tradespeople - which I suspect back of local newspapers or a small local directory like Dentons are the first port of call after word of mouth.

Don't know if Google's search is poorly setup for that kind of requirement or tradespeople are missing a trick by not have a decent SEO website.

I don't require tradespeople anymore. I have yet to come across a job that I can't do cheaper and as good as myself. Just plastered my first wall (50kg plaster) and it it straighter/smoother than the original. Floorining/painting plumbing is all done better than the people who are on the end of yellow pages. My dad used to do all his own sh*t and luckily taught me how to do it. Almost every tradesperson will try on some cr*ap or alternatively just be sh*it. I'm an engineer and when you ask thes jokers a simple question you get a load of horsesh*it back.

Bathroom just retiled for half the cost and looks better than the previous jokers attempt.

Disclaimer:

Changing car tyres and engine diagnostics I can't manage to d o and to be fair I can't be arsed to even think about doing it myself. Wiring in my place is just outragously dangerous so I can't make it worse, most swithes are packed out with old newspaper and a lot of bare cable on show.

I used to like you Paddles. :(

Sorry to hear that Tiger. Not being liked is a bit of an occupational hazard for me, unsurprisingly.

Still, everyone likes their goods and services to stay low priced, they just don't like to think about what that means to the back-end delivery. Primark is a good example in the UK; do the people who shop there really think about how it is the clothes are so cheap? And if they do, does the answer change their shopping habits?

I was talking to a guy tonight who currently designs/makes clothes (F*uc*ing expensive ones) and he has offshoring in the back of his mind, He was kind of pumped up about the business being u.k. only but kept mentioning China in the future. I ended up having a bit of an argument with him because he has graduate designers working for him for swet FA, he tried but failed to justify people working for zilch. Seemed like a nice guy though and totally agreed with the HPCers general line of uk plc being far to expensive due to housing etc.

Sorry to hear that Tiger. Not being liked is a bit of an occupational hazard for me, unsurprisingly.

Still, everyone likes their goods and services to stay low priced, they just don't like to think about what that means to the back-end delivery. Primark is a good example in the UK; do the people who shop there really think about how it is the clothes are so cheap? And if they do, does the answer change their shopping habits?

It is a sad fact that, especially over the last 20 years, there has been, and will continue to be, a process of global wage arbitrage and most of us in the west are going to be losers. What is missed is that the externalities are not paid by offshorers - a good reason for tariffs based on environmental and employment conditions in the source country imho. Without something like that, we are heading towards a rather unpleasant world for most.

It is not your fault as an enabler, as if you don't do it and benefit from it, someone else will and you have no power to change it. Where the blame lies is the politicians. I just find it depressing that mainstream politics is so short sighted and so devoid of character that it isn't willing to do anything about it.

I truly fear for any children I have.

Edited by Tiger Woods?

I was talking to a guy tonight who currently designs/makes clothes (F*uc*ing expensive ones) and he has offshoring in the back of his mind, He was kind of pumped up about the business being u.k. only but kept mentioning China in the future. I ended up having a bit of an argument with him because he has graduate designers working for him for swet FA, he tried but failed to justify people working for zilch. Seemed like a nice guy though and totally agreed with the HPCers general line of uk plc being far to expensive due to housing etc.

The thing is that he will be competing with others who will offshore/pay graduates pennies etc.

This is where government should be involved. Governments need to put in legislation and tariffs to change the "game" so that the best strategy is one that does not beggar thy neighbour. After that structure is put in place (and tweaked as necessary) then you let people get on with it. Completely free laissez-faire markets, where paying externalities can be avoided, always end up in a tragedy of the commons situation.

Edited by Tiger Woods?

It is a sad fact that, especially over the last 20 years, there has been, and will continue to be, a process of global wage arbitrage and most of us in the west are going to be losers. What is missed is that the externalities are not paid by offshorers - a good reason for tariffs based on environmental and employment conditions in the source country imho. Without something like that, we are heading towards a rather unpleasant world for most.

It is not your fault as an enabler, as if you don't do it and benefit from it, someone else will and you have no power to change it. Where the blame lies is the politicians. I just find it depressing that mainstream politics is so short sighted and so devoid of character that it isn't willing to do anything about it.

I truly fear for any children I have.

You know, the funniest thing I hear as a reason to dislike offshoring of white-collar jobs is the working conditions of the staff offshore. Anyone who has ever visited a facility in India would find that laughable.

I can't comment on the manufacturing offshore facilities though.

Basically, the Indians are doing our jobs for less thanks to telecommunications. The Polish are doing our jobs for less thanks the the EU border laws.

It's just a big leveller.