House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Buying A Farm In Germany

Where do you start? I'm taking the plunge but need to brush up my German. Any good UK based estate/land agents?

I'm taking the plunge and winding up my business here - firing my clients (what fun!)

Here is a site that may help you compare agricultural land prices for different regions. I think it's up to date until 2007.

http://www.agrar.de/de/pachtspiegel_index.html

A quick google search came up with this site to search for offers all over the country. Here's the search I did.

I couldn't really find anything after a quick search on Immobilienscout but if you go to immopool.de and click on 'Land und Forstwirtschaft' there are farms for sale there.

I'd be interested to see how you get on with this. Keep us informed.

What's your motivation for going to Germany? (Aside from the pressure here)

Sorry for snooping! :)

I just find the place so sane - travel on business quite alot. Strangely enough, I find the Germans very laid back compared with stressed out blighty. Also have Polish cousins in Poland and in Germay (the Poles are coming!), so some family there.

Here is a site that may help you compare agricultural land prices for different regions. I think it's up to date until 2007.

http://www.agrar.de/de/pachtspiegel_index.html

A quick google search came up with this site to search for offers all over the country. Here's the search I did.

I couldn't really find anything after a quick search on Immobilienscout but if you go to immopool.de and click on 'Land und Forstwirtschaft' there are farms for sale there.

I'd be interested to see how you get on with this. Keep us informed.

Many thanks for that Harry - very grateful :)

Farming's my background. Yeah. I work in PR/marketing these days but sick of the stress and pressure.

Farming in Germany is as tough if not harder than in the UK.

You need to speak German to farm -- nowadays there is a heap of forms, regulations and whatnot, and none of it will arrive in English and the inspectors will most likely not be able to speak English to the technical level that is needed for the topic. And without being able to effectively apply for subsidies, you stand no chance commercially either.

And any mistakes are always the farmer's fault, and the fines for getting things wrong are swingeing and that is before the local Greens have zeroed in you as the 'gaia killing menace that is poisoning/brutalising <whatever>',

I'm not saying it's impossible, but. if you're looking to escape stress and pressure... this is not a good project.

Farming in Germany is as tough if not harder than in the UK.

You need to speak German to farm -- nowadays there is a heap of forms, regulations and whatnot, and none of it will arrive in English and the inspectors will most likely not be able to speak English to the technical level that is needed for the topic. And without being able to effectively apply for subsidies, you stand no chance commercially either.

And any mistakes are always the farmer's fault, and the fines for getting things wrong are swingeing and that is before the local Greens have zeroed in you as the 'gaia killing menace that is poisoning/brutalising <whatever>',

I'm not saying it's impossible, but. if you're looking to escape stress and pressure... this is not a good project.

I've been dealing with these for years, and to be honest they're heavily hyped up (the complexity that is). A cousin of mine there is the main green activist in the area I'm planning to head to, so no probs there ;-). Another cousin across the border in Belgium is an English-Dutch[flemish]-German translator (hee hee).

Thanks for the warning anyway. I am by nature very much a detail person, so will check and double check things like this before I finally make the decision.