House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GloomMonger

Legal Advice Needed

My wife and I were planning on going to Paris tomorrow for 2 nights. The wife is Colombian and requires a Schengen Visa to enter Europe. Two weeks ago, I hand delivered my passport, her passport and our marriage certificate to an agency to do all the paperwork for us. Last Tuesday we received an email with a picture of the visa from the agency, nothing else in the email. I then booked 2 tickets on Eurostar and a hotel in Paris.

On Wednesday I went down to their office to collect our docs. They weren't there and the receptionist (who doesn't work for him directly) said he wasn't in. I left a note asking them to contact me. I heard nothing. I telephoned every hour for 3 days, but only got a full mailbox message. I sent numerous emails and a fax, no response. Starting to get worried. I went to their office again last Thursday, same story, he wasn't in, wouldn't give me a contact number, left another note for him to contact me urgently. Getting really pi55ed off now. Finally, went down on Tuesday and got to speak with him. He can't find the docs. Thinks someone else has picked them up. I have cancelled the hotel, no charge, but the eurostar is non-refundable, about £350.

This morning, he told me if they don't turn up he will pay all costs. Have just received a voice mail where he starts wittering on about Colombian visas usually take 2 weeks and I hadn't allowed enough time to process them before booking the holiday.

Where can I go from here? They have obviously screwed up, and if they pay all costs, I can live with it. But if he tries to get out of paying all costs what are my chances with a solicitor? Is it worth going down that road?

Where can I go from here? They have obviously screwed up, and if they pay all costs, I can live with it. But if he tries to get out of paying all costs what are my chances with a solicitor? Is it worth going down that road?

Small claims court + threat of publicity - chance is that he'd back down before you issued the summons.

But it does depend upon what you have in writing.

Small claims court + threat of publicity - chance is that he'd back down before you issued the summons.

But it does depend upon what you have in writing.

Isn't there a limit on compensation and can I do this myself?

The supply of goods and services act is the legislation you need to look at, in particular the part that states all goods and services should be carried out with reasonable care and skill.

Your only recourse if you are unable to take take the trip is action in the small claims court which I think has a limit of around £5k. Your best contacting consumer direct and they will send out a template letter for you.

Theoretically the guy should have professional indemnity insurance to cover this type of thing.

It all adds weight to your case that he seems to have pretty much admitted liability already but is trying to backtrack.