House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Sheffield Parking Charges To Rise Again

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield_parking_charges_to_rise_again_1_3236306

FURTHER price rises will hit the travelling public over the coming weeks and months as car parking charges are set to rise around Sheffield.

The council is doubling the 20p fee for an hour’s on-street parking in areas outside the city centre where charges apply. The new 40p rate comes into force from April 15.

Parking at council car parks is staying the same apart from near the Wicker, with rates at Stanley Lane, Willey Street and Wicker Lane car parks increasing from 25p to 40p for the first hour and from 50p to 80p for two hours.

Other charges at the three sites are staying the same.

From June, the council is raising on-street parking rates around the city centre by between 5p and 10p in the one- and two-hour parking zones, and by between 5p and 35p in the 10-hour parking zone on the edge of the city centre.

The parking charge rise comes after rates were increased by 5p in many zones in February.

A nice inflation busting increase.

Paying to park a car on a street is just ******ing wrong. The street is there - it exists and functions regardless whether a car is parked on the side of it or not.

Fair enough to charge in a car park, which requires a level of maintenance and security, but increasing street parking charges isn't gonna attract shoppers into town.

Still, I'm sure those highly paid, intelligent council executives (who could make it in the private sector and are worth their salaries - they really could make it!) have everyones interests in mind, like wealth creating city centre shops & not just their own requirement to offset cuts.

Paying to park a car on a street is just ******ing wrong. The street is there - it exists and functions regardless whether a car is parked on the side of it or not.

Fair enough to charge in a car park, which requires a level of maintenance and security, but increasing street parking charges isn't gonna attract shoppers into town.

Still, I'm sure those highly paid, intelligent council executives (who could make it in the private sector and are worth their salaries - they really could make it!) have everyones interests in mind, like wealth creating city centre shops & not just their own requirement to offset cuts.

It is often surprising just how close to a town centre one can park without incurring charges. Councils ceased to give a rat's ass about town centres yonks ago with the rise of out-of-town developments, this is just another nail in the coffin.

Simply vote with your tyres and park shop go else where.

corrected for you

i refuse to pay for parking, if you want MY business in YOUR shop you should provide me with free parking, you are making enough money out of me. if not i'll go to another shop with the same item and price match or if i can, i'll buy on line for cheaper, saving ANY traveling costs occured by myself.

the days of the high street/physical shops are comming to an end with internet shopping for nearly anything you could want. mostp laces offer free next day delivery to your door. why go shopping?

corrected for you

i refuse to pay for parking, if you want MY business in YOUR shop you should provide me with free parking, you are making enough money out of me. if not i'll go to another shop with the same item and price match or if i can, i'll buy on line for cheaper, saving ANY traveling costs occured by myself.

the days of the high street/physical shops are comming to an end with internet shopping for nearly anything you could want. mostp laces offer free next day delivery to your door. why go shopping?

Same as that. I do my best to avoid spending any money where I have to pay to park. I also have avoided psending money in central London since Mad Ken introduced his congestion tax.