House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lolacarrascal

Nationwide Hpi Q1 2011

Looks like they've introduced a new format, and they've done away with the inflation adjusted graphs. I'm sure some people (including me) will see this as a deliberate reaction to increasing inflation.

The 10-year graphs are incredible - I was too young to care about annual rates of change in 2002/2003, but it's incredible to see that they were running at around 25-30% across the country. WTF were the BoE doing at this point?

Also - look at Norther Ireland in 2007 - 55-60% annual HPI? Incredible.

I get the impression the news letter is much more impartial than the beltel rag. It seems to be devoted to Tempelton Robinson airing their views about us constantly reaching the bottom. I've lost count of the number of times since 08 these managed to call it. Utterly useless. imop

I get the impression the news letter is much more impartial than the beltel rag. It seems to be devoted to Tempelton Robinson airing their views about us constantly reaching the bottom. I've lost count of the number of times since 08 these managed to call it. Utterly useless. imop

B tel via Property News is sponsoring a home owner show fronted by Stephen Nolan (with a ph). You'd think He'd know better. Anyway no off message news to upset the applecart - I'm sure they'll have few enough numbers as it is.

The News Letter still hasnt run with the story but they are usually more fairer in their reporting that the Bel Tel. Its no surprise though as Bel Tel is owned by Independent News and Media PLC who also own Propertynews.com and a host of other property related publications. Dont expect them to ever show the true extent of property falls or paint things in a less than positive manner, as their business relies on people being positive about property. I just wish more people could see the true figures and make up their own mind about where we are rather than the Bel Tel hiding things behind a Uk wide headline and pretending that things are rosey. I know that as an EA we have to paint a positive picture about property but it would actually help our industry if vendors saw the truth in the press and accepted current offers that will prove to be very good offers in future.

The News Letter still hasnt run with the story but they are usually more fairer in their reporting that the Bel Tel. Its no surprise though as Bel Tel is owned by Independent News and Media PLC who also own Propertynews.com and a host of other property related publications. Dont expect them to ever show the true extent of property falls or paint things in a less than positive manner, as their business relies on people being positive about property. I just wish more people could see the true figures and make up their own mind about where we are rather than the Bel Tel hiding things behind a Uk wide headline and pretending that things are rosey. I know that as an EA we have to paint a positive picture about property but it would actually help our industry if vendors saw the truth in the press and accepted current offers that will prove to be very good offers in future.

The BT painted the last UUJ report (which showed a Q/Q rise) as negative. So we cant always accuse them or being sunny side up. The News letter always look for a negative. Granted alot of the time they don't have to look too far. I am happy when they are just factual and let the figures speak for themselves. If there is a stamp duty holiday (like last year) they should state that it would have had an effect. If there is bad weather they should perhaps note that it would have the opposite effect, but thats all.

B tel via Property News is sponsoring a home owner show fronted by Stephen Nolan (with a ph). You'd think He'd know better. Anyway no off message news to upset the applecart - I'm sure they'll have few enough numbers as it is.

Sponsorship on the BBC?

And there is your answer. How unexpected.http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/housepricecrash/rte_icons/font_color.png

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/modest-house-price-rise-played-down-15132310.html

so, -2.2% for the first quarter of 2011 and their headline is: Modest house price rise played down (for march)

edit - hold on it's APRIL FOOLS DAY!

well done bel tel, you big pack of jokers!

Edited by p.p.

Are any local media outlets quoting the actual figures ?!

Bel Tel - House Prices fall 11% in a year. Must be an April Fool.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/northern-ireland-house-prices-plunge-by-11-in-the-past-year-15133713.html

At least my wish for a wider mainstream audience has been answered.

BVI, I still don't understand how you are achieving 2009 prices!

Ps - No 'comments' facility yet & someone may wish to move this to the Media Articles NI thread.

Ta.

Edited by Shotoflight

House rices in NI now down 47% from peak in nominal terms and 53% in real terms according to Nationwide. Trend based on 12 quarter moving average clearly down with no bottom suggested soon.

Edited by lolacarrascal

House rices in NI now down 47% from peak in nominal terms and 53% in real terms according to Nationwide. Trend based on 12 quarter moving average clearly down with no bottom suggested soon.

I was just thinking, as you have pointed out, that whilst the commentators are saying prices are more realistic and indeed more affordable compared with earlier prices they have refrained from calling the bottom.

A 50% rise in one year, coming after several years of above trend increases, leaves plenty of room for further falls and indeed an overshoot - in my opinion.

The economic facts are (and have been for a long time) pointing in this direction and the mood music is now relentlessly negative(realistic).

Anyone harbouring 'spring bounce' fantasies may pause for thought when confronted with this article.

The cuts, by the way, start in earnest today.

So, it would appear even the Bel Tel can occasionally see and report the facts IRO the local housing market (in spite of large amounts of spin and guff). They've even left out Tom McClelland and have gone for new "experts". That's when you know it's dire.

Think I'll buy a copy on the way home.

Edited by Shotoflight