House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Import Vat/duty

Grr....

I want a DVD (not a film or anything like that it's educational) but the only person who sells it is in the USA. The DVD is £21 after conversion inc P&P how much will HMRC/RM gouge me for this DVD?

Thanks

I sourced a number of DVD's for the kids at xmas, from the USA. All arrived with various foreign looking stickers on the packaging. Not one penny extra was demanded from the UK side of things. I don't know if that was down to luck or the norm.

I tried to look it up for you in the Customs Tariff on the HMRC website, but they want £270 for a subscription.

Seriously, if the US suppliers are regular exporters to the end user in the UK they will know what to put on the green customs label , if I were you I'd e-mail them and ask the question.

Grr....

I want a DVD (not a film or anything like that it's educational) but the only person who sells it is in the USA. The DVD is £21 after conversion inc P&P how much will HMRC/RM gouge me for this DVD?

Thanks

Whilst theoretically over the £18 limit, from my experience I suspect it will get through with no problem (especially as the £21 includes p&p.). Usually big international sellers are clued up wrt to this sort of thing.

if you were charged, you get hit for 20 something percent (depending on item) plus a fixed fee. which will be much more than the duty charged. However, it has been about 10 years since I was charged for anything and in that case I got overcharged as the idiot who sent it to me valued it on the declaration about $150 higher than what I paid for it!

You should come to Australia. You don't pay duty on anything under $1000. Makes internation arbitrage quite worthwhile.

Grr....

Thanks

If the value is declared as £21, then you should have to pay VAT (£4.20) + the royal mail will charge a collection fee on top (£8) (if another courier delivers it, the handling fee is often a lot higher - typically £15-25) - in practice, these things sometimes slip through, if the value is smallish.

There is customs import duty as well - but it's only charged if the value is > £135 (and the duty payable is > £9).

If the value is declared as under £18, then you shouldn't have to pay anything. My own experience is that many one-man-band sellers (or sellers in the far East) are often quite amenable to 'rounding down' the declared value, in order to help 'minimize customs delays'.

Lots of overseas sellers make false declarations on accompanying paper work to avoid these fees which is a little bit naughty

Over recent years I`ve bought quite a few items from either the U.S. or the Far East (Deal Extreme :D )

At a declared value of £21 I would be very confident that it will sail through customs with no problem.

In the past I reckon I`ve had things from the U.S. valued at nearer £40 odd with no probs and Deal extreme label everything as a "gift" and I`ve never been charged duty, even with a bunch of LED`s that cost over £70.

The theoretical limit is ridiculous ( at £18) as it`s been at that amount for donkey`s years.