House Price Crash Forum

Superscrimpers - Waste Not Want Not

HOLA441
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Yeah...the man of the house isn't too happy of the prospect of giving up his blobby Volvo 4x4 for a Fiesta because of his own self image. :rolleyes:

The worst thing about him was that he didn't want the car because of the comfort on the long journeys, the ride height to get him onto bulding sites or the four wheel drive as he has to go into the country and up hills.

His reasoning was 'I want 4x4, I just want a big car!'!!

HOLA443
HOLA444

Indeed. I'm going to be putting plenty of rhubarb on my plot! Have some in the garden already and some in pots too.

As for chives - well they look pretty too! :)

Genuine question - I like eating home grown stuff - but have a v small plot (central london) and am rubbish at remembering to actually do the work - so what grows best on its own without any assistance (ie so I can plant it and leave it). I love Rhubarb, so that's a good one - anything else suggested?

HOLA445

Errr it's a little lemon juice, not a whole one, you lemon! :P

Which means you then need to do something with the rest of the lemon... Gin anyone?

As for the knicker dyeing... why not just keep on wearing them regardless instead of wasting money on dye?

In fact, my knickers contain so little fabric that I think it's cheaper to buy a 3-pack of new ones from Tesco than it is to buy dye!

Merryn's analysis of the discarded ATM receipts... Why does she assume that everyone has the same payday? That person with £4K in their current account could have just been paid. They could also just had the funds transferred from a loan :rolleyes:

HOLA446

Went to my local Odeon yesterday afternoon, just before 4pm and prices changed to their 'peak' levels.

What surprised me most was that of the 3 couples in the queue in front of me, every single one of them paid full price, despite it being "Orange Wednesday" (and everyone must know someone on Orange who could get the text ticket for them and send it on) and that Odeon themselves are doing a 40% discount until the end of March. Although the latter isn't advertised on their site at the moment, I'm pretty sure it was and that I was notified of it by them in their own weekly email.

Odeon seem to be at the more expensive end of the cinema spectrum from local experience and I only went there because of the discount and the fact I can walk there in 5 minutes. If the missus had been coming too, it would have been Empire in High Wycombe (15 minute drive) on a Tuesday or Thursday for £3.95

Some people just don't seem that bothered about saving money, even when it's made really easy for them to do so.

You can watch the film at home for free in the time it takes you to get to the pictures, without the expense of travel.

HOLA447

You're telling me. I was waiting at a counter the other day and spotted a tobacco called bayside (or something like that) - it was almost half the price of my usual golden virginia. 'How bad can it be' thought I so bought a pouch. Man, it was BAD - like they'd used all the sweeping from the golden virginia factory floor - I'd rather give up than have to smoke that sh1t regularly. Another trip to the continent beckons...

Change to a pipe. Much cheaper - I get big jars of tobacco from a ...ahem...'contact' overseas, costs me about £15 for a year (I only smoke every other day or so).

Alternatively smoke rollies but cut them with a substitute like herbal smoking mixture. If you use one of those little machines they look exactly like 'real' cigs.

HOLA448

I'm baffled the guy lives in Birmingham buts he's commuting Devon. What a muppet!

Plus they're probably paid over the odds for their new build townhouse slavebox.

This is a very common thing amongst families from certain communities. They want to live around their extended families in areas they know and understand, where they feel safe, so they don't tend to move for work and end up commuting silly distances instead.

I have several Asian mates that have done this, and they ended up utterly burnt out after driving six hour commutes five days a week. In some cases, they have taken promotions in other areas and the cost of the commute means they end up with less disposable income than when they were on a junior salary nearer to home -- but they just will not move, nor will they consider taking a room during the week to mitigate the cost.

HOLA449

Digging a veg plot in the garden and digging over a new allotment are two very different things.

I wouldnt rush to try and get too much in this year, better to did it over properly and get rid of the pest weeds. Couch grass roots can go down a couple of foot and if you dont get rid of them they just carry on growing. Bindweed, nettles and many others are also a royal pain in the backside.

Too many times have I seen a new patch taken over, rushed to get planting and overgrown again before the harvest only to be abandoned next season.

Wise words. Its taken nearly 3 years to get our allotment into shape. The bind weed , grass and horseradish was a nightmare to get out. It's heavy clay nd gets very boggy due to n underground stream. We/ve moved in loads of top soil and built raised beds. Don't ever think this site will be good for growing but nice pub, park nearby. I,ve had easier sites in the past but this one is challengeing....... most new holders are scared off within a year

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Ah you might think that, but you can get Lemon Juice in a plastic bottle which goes in the fridge.

Try either Jif Lemon Juice or KTC Lemon Juice.

Spot the HPCer who doesn't go shopping! :P

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/grocery-categories/lemon_and_lime_juice_in_Asda.html

It wasn't out of a bottle last night when they were being 'thrifty'. :rolleyes:

HOLA4412
Guest The Relaxation Suite

Does it say what jobs they do to earn £108k total???

Christ, I could only get that in my dreams....... almost four times what I get paid!

Th mistake you might be making here is believing them. My experience of these types of programmes is that they are more about lifestyle bragging than anything else. They're probably lying.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The worst thing about him was that he didn't want the car because of the comfort on the long journeys, the ride height to get him onto bulding sites or the four wheel drive as he has to go into the country and up hills.

His reasoning was 'I want 4x4, I just want a big car!'!!

I was thinking that he must have been off-sick the day they covered Sigmund Freud while he as studying to become a consultant psychiatrist.

Edit to add:

Speaking seriously, it's very difficult to translate a vague sense that you need to do something about something to actually solving a problem. Shows like this are really just showing people baby-steps, anyone who is a bit thrifty already doesn't need to dye their underpants purple to live within their means.

There are probably people who simply don't realise simple things such as cooking for yourself will be cheaper than buying a take-away, or that buying more clothes than you will ever wear is a bad way to spend money, or that driving a small car instead of a big one isn't all that bad really.

Edited by Diver Dan

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Buy end of day lemons (last I got were 35p for 3) slice and freeze. 10 seconds in a domestic microwave will have a slice defrosted. They're not quite as good as fresh but are a damned site better than bottled lemon.

Similarly I buy and freeze end of day supermarket herbs.

My best money saving advice is to save on the cost of child related expenses through the use of condoms (free from your local GUM clinic).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s0Y_COunB8

Edited by LeeT

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

My best money saving advice is to save on the cost of child related expenses through the use of condoms (free from your local GUM clinic).

They're also going to be giving out the morning after pill free in Welsh Pharmacies too

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health-news/2011/04/01/morning-after-pill-now-free-91466-28439428/

Wales apparently has a very high teenage pregnancy rate - so wouldn't it be better to make condoms available in schools free?

And you can get free condoms at family planning clinics too across the UK.

HOLA4419

+1

Although it's been side stepped by the media, a report did come out some time ago saying the greenest thing we as human's could do was not have so many children compared to investment in so called green technologies.

What about our RIGHT to further over-populate the planet?

HOLA4420

Which means you then need to do something with the rest of the lemon... Gin anyone?

Any lemon juice going begging is brilliant on pork chops and spinach, to name but two. Also in oriental style noodle/veggie soups.

I've also tried putting it on cabbage - sparks it up no end.

Would never have thought of putting it on spinach until a Greek-Cypriot neighbour aeons ago asked me if I had a lemon since she was cooking spinach and 'How can you eat spinach without lemon juice?'

Er, quite easily, I thought - until I tried it.

HOLA4421

But you still have to pay tax on it.

Although I suspect you'll find it hard to actually pay it.

There is duty to be paid for every kg of rolling tobacco produced plus every thousand cigarettes.

It is your responsibility to volunteer this duty once you have processed your home grown

tobacco into a form in which it can be smoked.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Depends where you live - I grew up near Dover and I doubt anyone there pays duty on anything.

Yes, I grew up in the Republic of Ireland just beside the border, pre EU. Depending on what budget had gone what way things were smuggled one way or another.

I reckon that anyone in that area who was seen to pay duty would have stood a fair chance of being sectioned.:rolleyes:

HOLA4425