House Price Crash Forum
manchester50

South Of Manchester - How Much Rent Are People Paying?

We're looking to rent in quite a broad area south of Manchester - Altrincham, Hale, Bowdon, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall, Poyton etc. Looking at four bed period houses with a lawned back garden.

Two things are obvious - firstly (& critically) there is virtually nothing available, and anything decent that appears in snapped up in days rather than weeks. Secondly, prices have crept up so you are now talking between 1300 and 2000+ for our type of house in the above areas.

Have rent prices increased dramatically, or do these figures look 'normal' to those of you who have been renting over the last few years?

would recommend you look at the whole market and see what elements of the rental market are good value and what are not, and then go for the good stuff that is within a more underpriced segment of the market

We're looking to rent in quite a broad area south of Manchester - Altrincham, Hale, Bowdon, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall, Poyton etc. Looking at four bed period houses with a lawned back garden.

Two things are obvious - firstly (& critically) there is virtually nothing available, and anything decent that appears in snapped up in days rather than weeks. Secondly, prices have crept up so you are now talking between 1300 and 2000+ for our type of house in the above areas.

Have rent prices increased dramatically, or do these figures look 'normal' to those of you who have been renting over the last few years?

Too much

Last year got a Hale tree road 3 bed with garden for £800pm which seems to be an absolute bargain. Don't know why it wasn't snapped up earlier but the aggravated robbery probably didn't help. This year we've down-graded to a tree road 2 bed with no garden for under £700pm.

Although my budget was under £1000 I am surprised this year how few houses there were between 1000 and 1500 - there seemed to be more last year. And in my market segment you need to be very quick to get the decent houses. Hell, we had to be quick to get this less than decent house.

If you want a good size house with garden and off road parking then the prices are ridiculous. The trouble is that we looked further afield but we weren't getting much more house for our money on the other side of Altrincham or in Timperley. It wasn't worth moving further out to get a better house. Go figure.

Too much

Last year got a Hale tree road 3 bed with garden for £800pm which seems to be an absolute bargain. Don't know why it wasn't snapped up earlier but the aggravated robbery probably didn't help. This year we've down-graded to a tree road 2 bed with no garden for under £700pm.

Although my budget was under £1000 I am surprised this year how few houses there were between 1000 and 1500 - there seemed to be more last year. And in my market segment you need to be very quick to get the decent houses. Hell, we had to be quick to get this less than decent house.

If you want a good size house with garden and off road parking then the prices are ridiculous. The trouble is that we looked further afield but we weren't getting much more house for our money on the other side of Altrincham or in Timperley. It wasn't worth moving further out to get a better house. Go figure.

All of that fits in with what I've seen.

£800 for the 3 bed tree road with garden - think that would be more like 1000-1200 at the moment. There does seem to be a dearth of rentals between 1000-1500, yet loads more closer to 2k. I appreciate that for 4 bed, garden + off-road parking (which is what we want) it is going to be pricey but I'd been expecting ~£1300 which I'm not seeing.

All of that fits in with what I've seen.

£800 for the 3 bed tree road with garden - think that would be more like 1000-1200 at the moment. There does seem to be a dearth of rentals between 1000-1500, yet loads more closer to 2k. I appreciate that for 4 bed, garden + off-road parking (which is what we want) it is going to be pricey but I'd been expecting ~£1300 which I'm not seeing.

It was more like a grand last year as well, just got lucky and previous incident at house and price reduction fell into my lap.

All I can suggest for the kite flyers is low-balling them. The good priced, good house go instantly, the kite flyers stay on the market. Doesn't harm to put in a low offer. We used long contract/low offers to flush out the genuine landlords fromt he moved away for work chancers who want to turf you out as soon as they can if they want to come back. Also noted by the Sell or Let signs. 3 bed on hale road (cough cough, diesel fumes) marketed by hilditch in your price range for example. Seems pricey to me, should be sub £1000.

Edited by daiking

Yeah, I've seen a couple which are more than I wish to pay but have sat empty for x weeks, and been tempted to put in a low offer based on a 12 or 18 month lease. You just need a landlord who thinks financially rather than emotionally and realises that a £200 asking rent cut is only equivalent to having the place empty an additional 4 weeks...

Paying 1800/month for a modern 5 bed detached in SK8 Cheadle with minimal back garden. Rents are no way soft in the area you are looking in - our lease is up in Sept and I'm sure the landlord would be asking 2k/month. We are going overseas, so will be able to resist his wonderful offer!