House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Recommendations For A New Mobile Phone Company

I have been on a contract for a few years with t-mobile and the contract is long past its time now but I have been holding on as, in May, a new EU law comes in that mean mobile contracts can't be longer than 18 months.

I had some woman with an Indian accent ring me up this week from a noisy call-centre somewhere claiming to be from T-Mobile - she knew my name, address, etc.

I told her I could not hear her - partly due to the noise in the background, partly due to her accent - and rang off. So she rings back. I still could not hear her so apologised, rang off again.

At which point I then get several calls which, when each time I answered, I just get muzak down the line. Very annoying.

So I am seriously peeved off with T-mobile now, ring them up yesterday and ask to get my PAC number. I then end up in a conversation with a guy who wants to offer me deals and who tells me that the above woman who has rang me is not from T-Mobile but from some firm trying to scam me.

How did she know my personal details then?

He also told me that I could not take my mobile number with me which, as I well know, is not the case. I thought it was illegal for firms to claim that now? When I challenged him on that he said what he meant was that third party firms like scammers would still be able to get my number.

In the end, I just had to ring off from the guy on T-Mobile as I was getting no where. He probably thinks he has stopped another customer leaving but I am just too busy this week to sort things out. Will get my PAC code in the next few weeks or so and then will find another mobile company.

So the point of this post is to ask what phones and firms people are recommending?

I am seriously thinking of going for a PAYG instead of contract now as you appear to have more flexibility with PAYG. Perhaps buy a phone for about £100 and then just charge it up each month.

What do you lot think the best option is? Or are contracts better if you need internet access?

A friend suggested buying the Orange Sanfran for £100, unlocking it and going PAYG with giffgaff?

Edit:

According to some threads on hotukdeals the thing to do now is to buy either the Orange SanFran or a cut down version of the HTC Desire - the former is £80 and the latter about £120 then to sign up to giffgaff.

Any thoughts?

the woman who called you is not T-Mobile but a marketing/sales company who get commission from T-Mobile for selling contracts etc. i always ignore them and go direct, i get a far better deal.

as for the PAC code, they can not refuse it to you, but you can not transfer it to the same company, it has to leave T-Mobile, once its left T-Mobile you can take it back, but you cant go T-Mobile to T-Mobile with your number. (if that makes sence)

you do realise that Orange and T-Mobile are the same company now, just not in name, i think the Monoply/Competitions comittee stopped then trading as one company, but they can share resources etc. I as a T-Mobile customer can use Oranges signal of i loose my T-Mobile one, it comes up on my phone as Orange T-Mobile when this happens.

as for recomendation. for contract T-Mobile, no other company has been able to beat them for the last 5 years, for phone, customer service, price etc for me.

if you want ot go Pay as you Go, get your contract terminated with T-Mobile and ask them to convert it to Pay as you Go.

if you transfer your number out of T-Mobile and want ot use it on a Pay as you Go mobile with another company (Vodafone, O2, etc) they may charge you for the privilidge of adding your number to it. but they wont for contract

HTH

the woman who called you is not T-Mobile but a marketing/sales company who get commission from T-Mobile for selling contracts etc. i always ignore them and go direct, i get a far better deal.

as for the PAC code, they can not refuse it to you, but you can not transfer it to the same company, it has to leave T-Mobile, once its left T-Mobile you can take it back, but you cant go T-Mobile to T-Mobile with your number. (if that makes sence)

you do realise that Orange and T-Mobile are the same company now, just not in name, i think the Monoply/Competitions comittee stopped then trading as one company, but they can share resources etc. I as a T-Mobile customer can use Oranges signal of i loose my T-Mobile one, it comes up on my phone as Orange T-Mobile when this happens.

as for recomendation. for contract T-Mobile, no other company has been able to beat them for the last 5 years, for phone, customer service, price etc for me.

if you want ot go Pay as you Go, get your contract terminated with T-Mobile and ask them to convert it to Pay as you Go.

if you transfer your number out of T-Mobile and want ot use it on a Pay as you Go mobile with another company (Vodafone, O2, etc) they may charge you for the privilidge of adding your number to it. but they wont for contract

HTH

Thanks.

Judging by the comments on various mobo forums and on hotukdeals the way forward now appears to be to go PAYG, unlock a phone and join giffgaff on a monthly basis.

That way you can update your phone when you wish and not be tied into a long contract. Most of the tech guys I know are now doing this as your state of the art contract phone is not a dodo in 18 or 24 months. Phones change so rapidly now that they are out of date in 12 months.