House Price Crash Forum

How Fast?

Maynard

HOLA441

by what percentage do you think house prices will fall?

Some people on the forum have been saying that they expect to see prices to come down by 50%, that will take some time at this rate.

When does everyone think the correction will accelerate?

As a wannabe FTB, I'm hoping to jump onto the ladder in late 2007, I think prices will have dropped 20% by then and hopefully I'll be able to pick up a bargain at BMV.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

If you look at historic corrections in the housing market the sharpest falls happen in the first couple of years.

I have already seen prices fall a good 10% in Clapham, and in Chiswick there are some very desperate sellers.

This is without any major "trigger".

Once the job losses start mounting we will see harder falls, I'm expecting at least 20% down by next year.

After that a drift down for years until people believe that property is a terrible investment.

I'm happy with 30% off the highs, but from the volumes of people struggling to sell, and the rate the UK economy is deteriorating, 50% won't be a surprise.

HOLA445
by what percentage do you think house prices will fall?

I agree with some of the other posters, it will be hard to nail a figure as a % average.

National averages are misleading, and subject to too much spin.

If you do an internet search for % drops during the 90’s crash, I think you

Get something like 32% national house price drop.

Which I can say was nothing like the drop I took when I sold in 1993 (40% down)

So I’m looking at ‘year’ instead of ‘%’ where I am, some houses are at around 2003 prices.

(And falling). Which is getting very close to the figure I would jump in.

It’s just a shame they are properties in rough areas I don’t want to live.

HOLA446
I agree with some of the other posters, it will be hard to nail a figure as a % average.

National averages are misleading, and subject to too much spin.

If you do an internet search for % drops during the 90’s crash, I think you

Get something like 32% national house price drop.

Which I can say was nothing like the drop I took when I sold in 1993 (40% down)

So I’m looking at ‘year’ instead of ‘%’ where I am, some houses are at around 2003 prices.

(And falling). Which is getting very close to the figure I would jump in.

It’s just a shame they are properties in rough areas I don’t want to live.

Don't forget also that the VIs will be calling the bottom of the market after every month of falls; if they have the audacity to say the cycle is at it's bottom now (as they did last week), can you imagine the cr@p they'll be coming out with in the future!

"Prices are at their lowest now and probably won't go down that much more...BUY, BUY, BUY! PPLLLLLEAAAASSSEEE!"

Sadly, many will believe this and jump in, hence the decline won't be at a uniform rate.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I went shopping in Norwich on Saturday – expecting to see this retail slowdown.

But there was no slowdown – the crash is off at the moment (the average person cannot see any problems yet)

I think we will loose 3% between now a x-mass and then up 5%for summer – leaving next year at a 2% YOY

I have also noticed that there are now fewer properties for sale than before (in the areas I have been looking)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
I went shopping in Norwich on Saturday – expecting to see this retail slowdown.

But there was no slowdown

I popped into Dixons today looking for a smallish TV for my Mum's bedroom and was gobsmacked by how expensive the TVs were in there. They were all these flatscreen jobs and even the small ones, PC monitor size, were four to five hundred pounds. Larger ones were £1200 to £2000 - and not a reduced or 'for sale' sign in sight. Many of them were not digital either which, if you paying that much for a TV now, then digital is something that you really want.

I just got the impression, IMPO, that the goods were:

a) overpriced

B) seller was simply greedy

c) all this talk by sellers of a dire high street did not seem to end up in reduced prices.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

falls will be very slow.....houses aren't a liquid asset like shares so price swings (especially on the way down)are steadier........eg the auctions mentioned in another thread reveal the true must-sell-now price even though most homeowners who don't have to sell refuse to cut prices by much..........