House Price Crash Forum
Tired of Waiting

Rightmove Has Updated Its " Market Trends " Charts Per Postcode

"Market trends in your area - Postcode" : LINK (Type only the first half of your postcode)

Then, on the results page, the left tab, "sold properties", has been updated, up to Feb 2011. (Edit: Data for Feb is incomplete, from Land Registry. See note below)

The right tab, "marketed properties" (the supply side), still comes only up to Jan 2011, but it should be updated soon. (I think and hope that it will show that the supply flood has continued, and increased, in Feb.)

Edit: Data for Feb 2011 is not complete yet. Rightmove is using Land Registry data, and this explanation sounds right: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=161720&view=findpost&p=2944629

Edited by Tired of Waiting

'kin hell!

The average price of a semi on sale in CV5 has fallen from £196,000 in January 2011 to £164,167 in Feb 2011. I make that a 16% fall MoM!

Edit: I was wrong, the prices quoted are sold prices for this area!

Should I contact the beeb and ask if they have any desire to report this on the local news section of their website along with all the other spurious property reporting they are responsible for?

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

I have noticed on the list of sold prices that both Rightmove and Mouseprice have - a property near us which sold in December and then appeared on the sold prices lists last month (ie recorded data to end of January lists) ... has now disappeared.

Can anyone have their property removed from these lists once it has been added? Or

can an agent request that it be removed? (the agent who sold that one might have a particular interest in it not appearing as he is trying to keep prices in area up!!)

or is there something other and more mysterious happening.

"Market trends in your area Postcode" : LINK (Type only the first half of your postcode)

The left tab, "sold properties", has been updated, up to Feb 2011.

The right tab, "marketed properties" (the supply side), still comes only up to Jan 2011, but it should be updated soon. (I think and hope that it will show that the supply flood has continued, and increased, in Feb.)

:blink: Is this data complete, or will more sales be added later?

I've had a look at OX1, OX2, OX3 and OX4.

If the data is complete, it is showing a total market failure in those postcodes - easily the lowest sales on record.

...... Sep-10............ Oct-10............. Nov-10............. Dec-10............. Jan-11............ Feb-11

All £202,482 (78) £211,696 (58) £215,351 (49) £234,754 (57) £196,698 (39) £226,622 (18)

Volumes dropped like a whores knickers.

£Average up by 10%. Difficult to gain any statistical meaning with the small numbers though.

18 houses sold in Feb in EX2! gnarly.

If the data is complete, it is showing a total market failure in those postcodes - easily the lowest sales on record.

I was having exactly the same thoughts. In the 3 or 4 postcodes around my area (West Sussex) it is showing sales volumes 50% lower than January, and some 70% lower than December. Can this be right?! :o

:)

"Market trends in your area - Postcode" : LINK (Type only the first half of your postcode)

The left tab, "sold properties", has been updated, up to Feb 2011.

Thanks for that.... I'd never looked at those stats before... very interesting. It's clear that flats are the last to rise and the first to fall. Detached are first to rise and last to fall, and terrace/semi somewhere inbetween. Looking at BN13 (where I currently rent), flats and terraces are back at 2004 prices, although that is based on exceptionally low volumes.

...... Sep-10............ Oct-10............. Nov-10............. Dec-10............. Jan-11............ Feb-11

All £202,482 (78) £211,696 (58) £215,351 (49) £234,754 (57) £196,698 (39) £226,622 (18)

Volumes dropped like a whores knickers.

£Average up by 10%. Difficult to gain any statistical meaning with the small numbers though.

18 houses sold in Feb in EX2! gnarly.

Edit to add.

In the Exeter city postcodes of EX1, EX2, EX4, in February it shows that 31 houses were sold.

There are more than 60 estate agents in the city.

There must be some pretty awesome scores on minesweeper being logged.

Great tool. Thanks.

Thanks for the pointer. (...)

You are welcome. But now I am not sure that data is correct. In my area it is showing too deep a drop in sales volumes, like I wrote above, replying to Timm. It is too good to be true.

I think we should try to double check this, somehow... :unsure:

Edited by Tired of Waiting

I was having exactly the same thoughts. In the 3 or 4 postcodes around my area (West Sussex) it is showing sales volumes 50% lower than January, and some 70% lower than December. Can this be right?! :o

:)

Sales are always low at that time of year, but click on the five year button and you can see that (for Oxford at least) the levels are way below normal. Totally disfunctional.

Yip, can confirm this. In my smallish town:

35 sold in Nov 2010

19 sold in Dec 2010

18 sold in Jan 2011

4 sold in Feb 2011 :o

You are welcome. But now I am not sure that data is correct. In my area it is showing too deep a drop in sales volumes, like I wrote above, replying to Timm. It is too good to be true.

I think we should try to double check this, somehow... :unsure:

The last month's data might be incomplete, but the rest looks as I'd expect.

This sort of graph should be a wake-up call to those who think London is different. It shows sold prices for Flats only in SW15 (Putney - typical area for aspiring middle class types). Collapsing volumes and prices headed down after the blow-off in 07/08 (and sharp peak for last year's bull trap) - it wouldn't take much to get back to 2003 prices based on that graph...

sw15flats.jpg

Edited by Constable

Yip, can confirm this. In my smallish town:

35 sold in Nov 2010

19 sold in Dec 2010

18 sold in Jan 2011

4 sold in Feb 2011 :o

They'll blame Feb on the fact it has just 28 days. the 14 sales required to match januarys figures would have all gone through on the 29-31st if February was normal. Bloody February.

(until March's figures are available.)

CB1 since 2005.

Price almost unchanged at an average £300k but volume less than half. Estate agents must be tearing their hair out.

Well if they insist on overvaluing, then they've only got themselves to blame.

ol9 and m40 also very low in Feb. I assume more data to come through yet though.

Prices in m40 are shockingly low - apart from a new build on the nearby canal nightmare zone.

Just e-mailed them.

Hi, I see that you have updated the "sold properties" page in "market trends".

Internet chatter suggests that in a lot of postcodes, this is showing the lowest sold prices on record. In Oxford, it looks like a total market failure.

Can you give any technical reason for this (such as incomplete data)?

Many thanks - Tim M.

They'll blame Feb on the fact it has just 28 days. the 14 sales required to match januarys figures would have all gone through on the 29-31st if February was normal. Bloody February.

(until March's figures are available.)

Now might be the time for me to make a move. According to this data, the average price of detacheds in my town last month was 0. I'm still worried about negative equity though...

Just e-mailed them.

Good work Tim, I expect the reason for the unusually low figures for the last month or two is because the land reg data will be incomplete. It takes several months for the full data to become avaialble, hence the land reg HPIs many, often huge, revisions.

Hope I'm wrong though, even if not it's still trending down quite nicely.