House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

Pluvial Flooding Risk

Got back the Homecheck Professional Environmental Report from the solicitor, and it says that although the property isn't in danger of defended flood, undefended flood, or tidal flood, it is "within 250m of an area at potential risk of surface water flooding" (pluvial flood).

The recommendation from the report company is to get a Homecheck Professional Flood Report.

I am unsure what to do?

Some property info - its a two bed first floor maisonette flat, Victorian build.

Is risk of flooding from surface water seems very much like saying if it rains alot and the drains overflow, I might get flooded? And how serious should I take this warning on the environmental report? Did you get the same thing in your environmental search report? And what did you choose to do?

*one confused first time buyer*!

You won't get anything other than weasel words from anyone on this. You can spend thousands on surveys, and at the end of it all they will say is that you have an x% chance of flooding. We looked at a house that was close to a flood risk, and no one could answer the question with any degree of certainty at all. Eventually the owner took it off the market and made the decision for us.

Use your common sense - what else would have to be flooded before you got wet? Search the local newspaper archives for "flood", this was helpful as it pinpointed houses that had been flooded in the last 100 years (with photos in many cases).

First floor flat - it would have to be pretty deep surface flooding before you got wet!

First floor flat - it would have to be pretty deep surface flooding before you got wet!

But you'd share liability if the fabric of the building needed expensive works. Is that insured against flooding?

A mate of mine used to work for the environment agency and was responsible for providing advice about any risks of building in flood danger areas.

If there was a fat profit to be made they'd kindly thank him for his research recommending that building did not go ahead due to flood risk and then approve building anyway.

Edited by Spot

But you'd share liability if the fabric of the building needed expensive works. Is that insured against flooding?

That is a good point. I will need to check if there is current insurance against flooding for the building.

I'm still wondering though if Pluvial Flooding risk is another special - surely any flat, un-elevated region in the UK would be considered at risk of surface water flooding? Is this something that, when I come time to sell, future housebuyers will really care about?